Album tours, good or bad?

fraroc

By album tours, I mean when a band performs an entire album and/or two albums in their entirety. I personally love album tours because it gives the opportunity for people to witness their favorite band do songs that they wouldn't do under normal circumstances. For Example, with Styx on their Grand Illusion/Pieces Of Eight tour, they hadn't done Superstars, Castle Walls, The Grand Finale, and pretty much every song Pieces of Eight other than Blue Collar Man and Renegade for MANY years.

Hell, for the longest time, Styx's setlists had sucked because of how short they were and how they were filling them with songs from Brave New World and Cyclorama that no one cared about. It wasn't until recently when Styx had become more open to do deeper cuts, thanks to the Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight tour. Hell, in 2014, before doing Boat On The River, they broke out into a short snippet of Best Thing, a song from the Wooden Nickel days that had not been played live since 1972.

But when it comes to Rush, performing Moving Pictures wasn't that big of a deal seeing as how all seven songs had been played live multiple times before and had even become concert mainstays.

• Like 2

Well, it depends on the album and how much other stuff they're playing. The Time Machine Tour was fine because while they played all of Moving Pictures, Moving Pictures is obviously an excellent album and they were able to play lots of other songs too.

Now, if they played all of Presto and little to no other material, that's a terrible idea.

Jimmy Eat World did a tour a few years back where they toured Clarity and Bleed American together in their entirety.

Phenomenal.

If the album is a classic, a fan favourite, and a short enough for extra songs from other albums, I am all for it.

One thing that shocked me about Rush is that they really haven't played that many songs live compared to what's on the albums. Not even when they were touring to support any particular album!

I don't go to shows much at all, but I do hunt down bootlegs and it's always a good thing when there's multiple live versions of any given song. A band should ideally have performed every song in their catalog that is possible to perform.

As for album tours, it's like Segue said: if it's short enough that it allows for other songs to also be played, I am all for it.

edit: and if it's a concept album or a rock opera, absolutely tour the album in order and in its entirety

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 1

Lacuna Coil performed Karmacode in its entirety a few years back at a festival.

I'd sell my mum to see that if they do it again.

I would also love to see Bruce Springsteen perform amy of his first five albums in their entirety. Particularly Born To Run.

I would also love to see Bruce Springsteen perform amy of his first five albums in their entirety. Particularly Born To Run.

Wow karmacode would be fun, although my reverie woukd be the uktimate

• Like 1

There's good and bad to doing it.

The good is that there's a chance to hear some rarely played songs live. If it's one of the band's best and one of your personal favorites then it's really cool to witness it.

The bad is if they don't play sets as long as Rush, the album can take up the bulk of the set not leaving room for much of anything else. Also, if the album is new material a band can have a disinterested crowd who haven't heard the new stuff, don't care for it or haven't heard it enough to really know it that well yet.

Overall, I enjoy it when it's done right. Rush doing all of MP and Megadeth doing all of Rust In Peace are examples of that. Dream Theater playing all of their new album and nothing else on their current tour is an example of the worst way to do this.

• Like 2

By album tours, I mean when a band performs an entire album and/or two albums in their entirety. I personally love album tours because it gives the opportunity for people to witness their favorite band do songs that they wouldn't do under normal circumstances. For Example, with Styx on their Grand Illusion/Pieces Of Eight tour, they hadn't done Superstars, Castle Walls, The Grand Finale, and pretty much every song Pieces of Eight other than Blue Collar Man and Renegade for MANY years.

Hell, for the longest time, Styx's setlists had sucked because of how short they were and how they were filling them with songs from Brave New World and Cyclorama that no one cared about. It wasn't until recently when Styx had become more open to do deeper cuts, thanks to the Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight tour. Hell, in 2014, before doing Boat On The River, they broke out into a short snippet of Best Thing, a song from the Wooden Nickel days that had not been played live since 1972.

But when it comes to Rush, performing Moving Pictures wasn't that big of a deal seeing as how all seven songs had been played live multiple times before and had even become concert mainstays.

The Camera Eye hadn't been played in about 30 years when they did it on the Time Machine tour. It was not a staple.

• Like 2

Isnt he doing that right now with the River?

• Like 2

Overall, I enjoy it when it's done right. Rush doing all of MP and Megadeth doing all of Rust In Peace are examples of that. Dream Theater playing all of their new album and nothing else on their current tour is an example of the worst way to do this.

Yeah I feel weird about the Astonishing tour as well. I feel like it would be better if they did two tours for the album: one with their best songs + an abridged, maybe 30 minute set of Astonishing, and a second, shorter one which is just the Astonishing. Because I do think that if artists do a conceptual album it should be played in its entirety on a tour, but doing it exclusively, when the album's a hard listen and wasn't super well-received... just spells debt to me.

He is it I won't be able to see it when he comes to the UK this year.

• Like 1

Wow karmacode would be fun, although my reverie woukd be the uktimate

I would agree on ANY LC album, aside from Shallow Life.

But Karmacode is my all time favourite album. Although recently Broken Crown Halo has been my addiction.

He is it I won't be able to see it when he comes to the UK this year.

Im not a big Bruce fan but I would

Like to see him just once. Just to say i did it ya know?

• Like 1

First three i think of is.

Rush- Moving Pictures

Pink Floyd- The Dark Side of the Moon

Styx- The Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight

I loved listening to those albums, it depends on the album but if they choose a really good one, album tours are amazing to listen to

• Like 1

It's better than when Phish played a Velvet Underground album in its entirety...and a Talking Heads album in its entirety. :P They used to do that at Halloween shows every year- play an album from a different band in its entirety. Sometimes it worked better than others.

Yeah, I think it's a cool thing to do. I'll add to the list, The Black Crowes did it with the Warpaint album for a very short time, in March of 2008 only. That was the same month that the album was released.

With older bands/older albums, I think it's especially nice when they can still play every song on an album really well! As long as that's the case, then it's great. And also if it's a band that can jam certain things out longer, and add something different to some of the songs...I like that the best.

I love the fact that DT is doing The Astonishing. It's their new album and they've done gigantic "evening with" sets for the last decade where fans could hear tons of other songs. I hate seeing bands tour for their new album and then they just do 3-4 songs off it. As for doing albums in their entirety, if it's an album that has some rarities in it or a bunch of underplayed songs, then I'm for it. But if a band is going to do an album in its entirety of songs that they play regularly anyway, it's a waste of time. MP for Time Machine was an obvious choice, but aside from TCE, it's been played to death and felt a bit superfluous. Edited by GrandDesigner

Steely Dan recently did an album tour, but rotated the full album played. That's a pretty cool way to do that.

Theyve been doing that for a while now. Yes did 3 albums in one show.

When you're as old as I am, "recently" is a very broad term. :LOL: Edited by goose

When it's a new album the crowd tends to get restless. That was my experience on the Iron Maiden AMOLAD tour, I was enjoying it but could tell that the crowd was starting to get antsy.

But they did play one or two songs from other albums, didn´t they? That would be ok for me. If it´s only one album and nothing else, especially if it´s a new release, then it´s tough. Like Dream Theater with The Astonishing and Pink Floyd with The Wall.