Sebastian Bach & Steve Vai: Red Barchetta and Tom Sawyer

Tombstone Mountain

Yeah, they suck  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How bad are these covers of two Rush classics

• Not bad. They're trying
    • Ummm...these are great!
    • Ummm...these really suck!

There are times you never click and obviously this is one of those times.

..all I needed to see was Sebastian Douchbag associated with it and I avoided it like TM's cow castration video.

Now if TM can find a Sebastian Castration Video that might interest me.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 1

This is infinitely more interesting than that POS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR-3WM31biQ

I'm wondering why this was a big deal. I thought all female friends were used to seeing each other naked or grabbing each others' boobs.

Maybe that's just my friends?

You live in San Fran where random grabbing of body things is probably more common. Must be something in that sourdough bread.
  • Like 1

There are times you never click and obviously this is one of those times.

..all I needed to see was Sebastian Douchbag associated with it and I avoided it like TM's cow castration video.

Now if TM can find a Sebastian Castration Video that might interest me.

Interestingly, I've never seen a cow castration video but I imagine the audio isn't too different from Sebastian Bach's vocals.

• Like 2

I am not clicking anything in this thread. :outtahere:
  • Like 2

I think it's a shame that all these popular musicians are tributing our favourite band and all we do is turn our noses up at it. That being said, this video was god-awful. Sebastian Bach must be one of those "love him or hate him" kind of guys, as I struggled to see anything good about his performance. Even his intro was rubbish "it's about a car, in a barn, on a farm". Nice effort guys but stick to your own songs
  • Like 1

I think it's a shame that all these popular musicians are tributing our favourite band and all we do is turn our noses up at it. That being said, this video was god-awful. Sebastian Bach must be one of those "love him or hate him" kind of guys, as I struggled to see anything good about his performance. Even his intro was rubbish "it's about a car, in a barn, on a farm". Nice effort guys but stick to your own songs

Was it a nice effort? I'm cool with tribute...at least pick songs you can nail

Well they went through the trouble to learn the song, so that shows they must have put some effort in. Whether it was a good version or not is a different argument, but credit where credit is due. I imagine he did a better job than what you could do!

Well they went through the trouble to learn the song, so that shows they must have put some effort in. Whether it was a good version or not is a different argument, but credit where credit is due. I imagine he did a better job than what you could do!

It's not about me doing a better job. It's about being listenable. Check out this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uPs3Pk0mrg

• Like 1

It's not about me doing a better job. It's about being listenable. Check out this one:

I really like this version! The soft keyboards are a really nice touch.

Yeah, Bach and Vai tried but I don't think they nailed it at all. Too sloppy and not their style in the first place.

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 1

I really like this version! The soft keyboards are a really nice touch.

Yeah, Bach and Vai tried but I don't think they nailed it at all. Too sloppy and not their style in the first place.

As a artist you have to ask yourself "am I doing this justice?"
  • Like 2

As an artist, it's complicated because you can most definitely do a work justice without necessarily being faithful to it. I find that the only real benchmark for good quality when doing a cover is that the artist should ask themselves, "is this strong enough to hold up on its own?" if yes, then I find that in all cases, fans will like it, because it doesn't need the support of nostalgia to gather approval, and most importantly it does not gather scorn for deviating from the original work.

Covers, and homages in general, can go two extremes: you can replicate the work mostly authentically and add a little bit of your own personal special touch

or you can do a mostly original work with just a little hint of derivation from the source, sort of to say, "this is what inspired me".

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 1

I think there's TRF members who could do a better job.. and they wouldn't have to make any effort to learn it either!

• Like 3

I think there's TRF members who could do a better job.. and they wouldn't have to make any effort to learn it either!

Yup. There have been some TRFers who did better jobs.

Bach and Vai are pros. Longtime rock veterans. Of course they'd do better than me! But I'm not going to give credit to a pro if they do a shit job. In sports, if a pro athlete "dogs it" and just goes through the motions in a game, yeah I'll rip them too. Now, if my next door neighbor (the office worker) attempted Tom Sawyer and Red Barchetta, I wouldn't rip her + I WOULD give her credit.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

Bach is like that friend that always has to go ten words past when it's cool to shut up.. he's kind of a cross between David Lee Roth and Krusty the clown here..
  • Like 3

Yeah I know, but just because we don't like it doesn't mean other people don't. As strange as it is, Sebastian Bach has fans that go to his gigs and I'm sure that version of Red Barchetta appealed to at least one of them. I know what you mean by asking yourself "am I doing this justice?" but maybe they were going for a rougher sounding song, and maybe they intended it to go that way. Who knows. I know I won't be watching any more Sebastian Bach RUSH covers though

Yeah I know, but just because we don't like it doesn't mean other people don't. As strange as it is, Sebastian Bach has fans that go to his gigs and I'm sure that version of Red Barchetta appealed to at least one of them. I know what you mean by asking yourself "am I doing this justice?" but maybe they were going for a rougher sounding song, and maybe they intended it to go that way. Who knows. I know I won't be watching any more Sebastian Bach RUSH covers though

The problem isn't that they played it rough; it's that they played it while trying to stick to the original arrangement and did it poorly. If they'd done their own thing, played with it, made the song their own, which might've involved playing it more aggressively than they did, it wouldn't have been so bad.

• Like 1