exit stage left drum solo

barry123

Around 1984, my sister, seeing that I wished I could play drums (seeing that I was beginning to master "three's company"), had me listen to "tom sawyer" on the radio. I couldn't believe somebody could remember all the moves and hits necessary to play that song all the way through. When I went to the record store to find out what album it was on, they were all out of 'Moving Pictures', but had 'Exit Stage Left'. That was my introduction to Rush and for the next 3 years I wore that tape out learning every song. For my 15th birthday she bought me 'Power Windows' and 'Grace Under Pressure', which I initially disliked due to the major change from the ESL sound.

But you know what repeated listenings do for dedicated fans :)

I've noticed a change in the sound of the snare drum during Peart's YYZ solo from ESL.

Between time-codes 4:27 and 4:56, the snare has nearly no echo and has the characteristic slightly higher-pitched or 'tight' sound that it does in the very beginning of the solo.

But starting at 4:56, the snare has a deeper tone and more echo. Is this solo really just a montage of different solos recorded on different nights?

One of the biggest disappointments in my life was around 1987, when I rented the ESL videotape, expecting to see this drum solo, and found out it wasn't there, and the video was quite different from the album. Peart's solo is a staple of live Rush, difficult to believe they'd rather scrap the footage than release it, especially since the bootleg 1983 videos which show him playing virtually the same solo are great.

Edited by barry123
  • Like 2

ESL was also my intro to Rush, via a cassette recording of the original CD version. Ah, but I paid him back good with a burn copy of the remastered version, wit my all time favorite Rush song, APtB.

ESL is my double #2 album- 2nd most played (behind MP) and 2nd favorite live drum solo (behind DS).

Is this solo really just a montage of different solos recorded on different nights?

That would be my guess. You're right, the kit has a different recorded sound after the floor-tom solo.

• Like 1

I think most of that album was a montage of different nights....I just wish they'd hit "record" and let the chips fall where the may warts and all! IIRC, La Villa was from three different performances...I seem to remember reading that somewhere years back.
  • Like 1

I think most of that album was a montage of different nights....I just wish they'd hit "record" and let the chips fall where the may warts and all! IIRC, La Villa was from three different performances...I seem to remember reading that somewhere years back.

Really? I had no idea.

Around 1984, my sister, seeing that I wished I could play drums (seeing that I was beginning to master "three's company"), had me listen to "tom sawyer" on the radio. I couldn't believe somebody could remember all the moves and hits necessary to play that song all the way through. When I went to the record store to find out what album it was on, they were all out of 'Moving Pictures', but had 'Exit Stage Left'. That was my introduction to Rush and for the next 3 years I wore that tape out learning every song. For my 15th birthday she bought me 'Power Windows' and 'Grace Under Pressure', which I initially disliked due to the major change from the ESL sound.

But you know what repeated listenings do for dedicated fans :)

I've noticed a change in the sound of the snare drum during Peart's YYZ solo from ESL.

Between time-codes 4:27 and 4:56, the snare has nearly no echo and has the characteristic slightly higher-pitched or 'tight' sound that it does in the very beginning of the solo.

But starting at 4:56, the snare has a deeper tone and more echo. Is this solo really just a montage of different solos recorded on different nights?

One of the biggest disappointments in my life was around 1987, when I rented the ESL videotape, expecting to see this drum solo, and found out it wasn't there, and the video was quite different from the album. Peart's solo is a staple of live Rush, difficult to believe they'd rather scrap the footage than release it, especially since the bootleg 1983 videos which show him playing virtually the same solo are great.

Wow - I think you're right. Under the cymbal hit at 4:56, you still here some playing happening, which I think seems a but unlikely that he'd back the other toms so quickly. Think it's a fast fade in from another take! Never noticed that.

no, they had to record the studio version in three sections. Initially their goal was to do it in one take. They played that version of La Villa live for a long time until they cut the intro out. It's on all the boots and you can watch it on YouTube from Pinkpop.

I'd be surprised if any of Neil's recorded solos are pieced together. It's possible, but I don't see why they would do that. I doubt Neil would even allow it.

La Villa from ESL was spliced together from 2 different nights. To me it`s quite noticeable at 3:30...

Do have a link to where you read this?

Answered my own question:

Tracks 1-3 and 8-13 of the original vinyl were recorded in Canada during the Moving Pictures tour, while tracks 4-7 were recorded in the UK during the Permanent Waves tour.

http://rush.wikia.com/wiki/Exit...Stage_Left

Edited by goose

La Villa from ESL was spliced together from 2 different nights. To me it`s quite noticeable at 3:30...

Can you hear what sounds like a splice?

Apparently it would be between parts 3 & 4 (3:32-ish), and 7 & 8(7:39-ish), if it's noticeable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e14ublpOG8

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

It's also been talked about that in contrast to ATWAS where it was basically unedited live tape, on ESL they went back in the studio and fixed every little imperfection until it doesn't really feel like a live album anymore.
  • Like 3

It's also been talked about that in contrast to ATWAS where it was basically unedited live tape, on ESL they went back in the studio and fixed every little imperfection until it doesn't really feel like a live album anymore.

Listen to the volume swells in By-tor (Of the Battle), let us know if you think you hear a second guitar ghosting in the background. :)

Listen to the volume swells in By-tor (Of the Battle), let us know if you think you hear a second guitar ghosting in the background. :)

I think ATWAS was just the best take of the three nights... I think there was something printed years back stating that the best take in 2112 was when Neil's snares fell off his drum, but the take was SO GOOD that they kept it... E...SL was purportedly also a punch in convention for wrong notes on good takes.

I think ATWAS was just the best take of the three nights... I think there was something printed years back stating that the best take in 2112 was when Neil's snares fell off his drum, but the take was SO GOOD that they kept it... E...SL was purportedly also a punch in convention for wrong notes on good takes.

There's definitely an edit at the start of the 2112 solo. It's either from different night or a guitar punch-in.

LA Villa on the studio version was from three takes, not the ESL version.

No, it was not. The studio version of "La Villa" was recorded in one take, though as the band has repeatedly pointed out, it took them forty tries to nail it.

Apparently it would be between parts 3 & 4 (3:32-ish), and 7 & 8(7:39-ish), if it's noticeable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e14ublpOG8

At 3:33 there's what sounds to be an extra hi-hat chick on the upbeat; Neil doesn't play it again the entire transition section.

Edited by coventry

No, it was not. The studio version of "La Villa" was recorded in one take, though as the band has repeatedly pointed out, it took them forty tries to nail it.

Myth. Ged is quoted as jokingly saying that, but it's been pretty well established that it was recorded in parts. Two parts are said to have been single takes, with the rest put together.

Myth. Ged is quoted as jokingly saying that, but it's been pretty well established that it was recorded in parts. Two parts are said to have been single takes, with the rest put together.

Crap; you mean I've been going around spreading misinformation and fanboi lies?

Found this, tho.

http://rushvault.com...lla-strangiato/

Which more or less corroborates what you say.

Edited by coventry
  • Like 1

My recollection is that they said they were determined to record the entire song in one take, but eventually had to settle for recording it in three parts.

Pretty much this. :)
  • Like 1