Best Concert Experiences?

Jaminbenb

Not sure if this has been discussed (or even if I did it prior to this) But I was listening to Roger Water's Amused to Death, today after dropping my wife off at work, and when they played the Perfect Sense section (I & II) I had a moment, and remembered when I saw the 1999 tour live and they did the AtD section of the show, and it was AMAZING! (and the fact that PP Arnold was there to sing it was even better!) But this spurred a thought...What AMAZING concert memories do you have? (I get it...Rush..but it's a Rush forum) But what parts of what shows are ones that whenever you hear a certain song you go right back to it?

So obviously the one I just mentioned, and Gilmour's Floyd in 1987 at JFK Stadium when they opened with Echoes (and there were spotlights making a Pyramid over the stadium) was amazing. The whole Wall show when I saw Roger's tour in 2010 was an amazing moment, too!

Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, & Howe playing Close to the Edge to start the second half of the show in 89

Emerson, Lake & Powell playing Pirates in 1986

Yes in 1991 at the Spectrum when they did Awaken!

Seeing Toto finally was just a cool experience this past summer..always wanted to see them...

AS far as Rush... When they did La VIlla when I saw them in Baltimore in 86

2112 the whole way through in 96

The entire return show in 2002 in Scranton (had 5th row center, too)

And Jacob's Ladder and Xanadu this past tour (and other stuff...but those two stand out)

• Like 2

When I saw Rush on Clockwork Angels Tour. I was at first row and during 2112, Geddy looked at me and gave me a big smile. It was great!

I had one of those moments on the 84 tour... I was grooving along to something and locked eyes with Geddy, who was doing the same thing, and we both laughed at each other!

• Like 2

Nightwish last year.

It's not only because they were great, it is also because I have a deep rooted connection to their music.

Same as many here are for Rush.

Connecting ears, eyes AND heart is a rare occurrence for me at live shows.

• Like 1

Nightwish last year.

It's not only because they were great, it is also because I have a deep rooted connection to their music.

Same as many here are for Rush.

Connecting ears, eyes AND heart is a rare occurrence for me at live shows.

I had a feeling you were going to say Nightwish!

Unfortunately i never was able to get front row or any first ten rows at a Rush concert. I was in the front Row tho for a Tim McGraw concert tho.. For all you Country folks too. WE can like both.

I'm not a fan of modern country music, really, but a great show experience is a great show experience, no matter what kind of music it is!

Just getting to see the who when they came back in 82 or 83. I eas a sophomore in high school and my friend's mom won tickets behind the stage. We got to look at their backs most of the show, but we were so damn close. And it wad their return after Keith died. Not like so many of the hundreds of cheesy , terrible return tours they've done. This was still the Who in their prime for the most part, sans Keith, who was such a mess at the time, he was a shadow of himself.

I've literally seen over 1000 live shows and I still remember my first one vividly. It was Shooting Star and they played at the old Chicagofest right before Charlie Daniels went on. Reason I mention this is I saw Dropkick Murphy's Friday night at the old.Aragon ballroom in Chicago and realized I was at 48, on of the oldest people there and it flashed me back to that day at Navy Pier watching Shooting Star. There was this old dude with a beard smoking a cigarette(joint in hindsight) just enjoying the hell out of himself and I remember poking my friend and saying that's going to be us one day. Yeah, well. It is. :)

• Like 1

My very first live concert- Huey Lewis and the News (hahaha)...Sports tour, summer 1984. I was eleven years old, and all the adults on front of me stood clear a little bit, just so I could see. (I was a pretty small kid).

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jeff Beck- Hara Arena, Dayton, OH, 15 November 1989. The only time I ever got to see SRV live. My cousin went with me, and he waited after the show where the concourse was fenced off behind the stage, hoping to meet him. I thought he was crazy, and I didn't stand there with him; I went to buy some popcorn. Then about a half hour later, my cousin comes back and greets me with his autographed ticket stub. :rage: :P

Meeting Derek Trucks, both of his parents, his kids, and his brother and sister after a DTB show in 2008.

I saw the very first two-set show that the Black Crowes ever played- LC Pavilion, 26 July 2005. This was in the middle of a tour where they were playing as support act for Tom Petty (and I did not see any of those shows)...the Columbus show was a one-off headlining show, at the time. I had seen around 40 Crowes shows at that point, and they had all been single sets, so I didn't expect anything different...but when, after about an 80-minute first set, they said, "We're going to take a quick ten minutes, and then we'll come back and play some more"...oh, the feeling, I can't even describe it- knowing that they were only half-finished; anticipating what they'd do in the second set, for the first time ever. I was positively giddy!

The Black Crowes, also- Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, 4 and 5 December 2009- I got to see two shows of a three-show run...this ended up being the last time I ever saw them perform live- and was a really emotional time for other reasons as well.

Rush- Riverfront Coliseum, Cincinnati- 6 March 1990- Presto tour. My first Rush show, a month before my 17th birthday. I went alone, and just had an absolute blast.

Rush- Riverbend Amphitheater, Cincinnati, 2 July 2013- Clockwork Angels tour, and my first time seeing Rush since Counterparts- a hiatus of more than 19 years. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

Leading into...

Rush- Nationwide Arena, Columbus, OH, 8 June 2015. R40 Tour- just like my very first Rush show, I went alone. This is the only show I ended up seeing on the R40 Tour, and therefore was my last Rush show. It was beautiful.

• Like 3

My first Rush concert in St. Louis, June 12, 2004 on the R30 tour. We had shitty lawn seats but as an almost-10 year old that was the experience of a lifetime.

Getting a long look and smile from Buddy Guy in 2003 at the Beale Street Music Festival when I was only 8 years old. That guy can really perform.

Hearing them play Natural Science on the Snakes and Arrows Tour at both shows I went to.

Seeing Iron Maiden in Chicago in 2010 when the majority of their set was 2000's Maiden :haz:

Paul Rudd running on stage during YYZ on the Clockwork Angels Tour.

My (likely) final Rush concert on the R40 Tour in Kansas City.

• Like 1

As far as country...I've only seen Zac Brown live, he puts on a great show!

My FIRST concert ever though was the Carpenters way back in like 76-77... I also got to see the first Chicago tour after Terry Kath passed away...that was a great show!

The 'sad' ones are seeing Harry Chapin on one of his last shows before he died, (I think it was his last acoustic show with his brother, he had a few with his band after that night) and a Dave Matthews show that was LeRoi Moore's second to last show before he got into the accident, and subsequently passed away from the injuries.

The Who on the tour that John Entwistle died was another one... No one thought they were going to do it, but they did... (guess they needed the money)

Steven Wilson which was less than a month ago was probably my best so far. It's definitely up there with Rush's Clockwork Angels tour. Steven Wilson played in a far nicer venue though and i got to meet Nick Beggs and Craig Blundell afterwards as well as having a photography pass for the first two songs. Also i really liked Haken's gig in Leeds last year but they were only supporting do their set wasn't very long.
  • Like 1

I saw the Japanese band angela at Otakuthon last summer and while the crowd was a bunch of low-energy losers the band itself played amazing. Atsuko has an amazing voice and sounds even better in person than on the absolutely pristine studio tracks, and the guitarist is full of personality. They looked like they enjoyed being in Montreal for the first time; really funny and dynamic.

I think that would be my best concert experience if I thought only about the artists. The crowd and security almost ruined it though.

Rush December 1981 at Dayton Hara Arena. I was within 10 feet of the stage and had one of those locking eyes with Geddy moments. It was glorious. I had seen them several times before during the Hemispheres/PW/ tours but I was further back so didn't get quite the same effect. I remember being really bummed that Alex had cut his hair. Almost didn't recognize him. I also remember how energetic they were. They were both bouncing all over the stage. That was the one concert that made me a forever Rush fan. I have had quite a few of those moments since but that was the defining one. Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 4

Rush December 1981 at Dayton Hara Arena. I was within 10 feet of the stage and had one of those locking eyes with Geddy moments. It was glorious. I had seen them several times before during the Hemispheres/PW/ tours but I was further back so didn't get quite the same effect. I remember being really bummed that Alex had cut his hair. Almost didn't recognize him. I also remember how energetic they were. They were both bouncing all over the stage. That was the one concert that made me a forever Rush fan. I have had quite a few of those moments since but that was the defining one.

I wish I could have seen it!

I was a little young to go to shows back then.

(But I was probably listening to Rush at home that night). :)

• Like 1

Rush December 1981 at Dayton Hara Arena. I was within 10 feet of the stage and had one of those locking eyes with Geddy moments. It was glorious. I had seen them several times before during the Hemispheres/PW/ tours but I was further back so didn't get quite the same effect. I remember being really bummed that Alex had cut his hair. Almost didn't recognize him. I also remember how energetic they were. They were both bouncing all over the stage. That was the one concert that made me a forever Rush fan. I have had quite a few of those moments since but that was the defining one.

Hemispheres was the first show I went to at Hara Arena and it was a belated 18th birthday present. I was in a band at the time and went to the concert with the guitarist who was also my boyfriend at the time. I remember that it was colder than crap that night and I was glad to get inside and down on the arena floor where it was warmer. First time I got to see UFO as well.

• Like 1

Hemispheres was the first show I went to at Hara Arena and it was a belated 18th birthday present. I was in a band at the time and went to the concert with the guitarist who was also my boyfriend at the time. I remember that it was colder than crap that night and I was glad to get inside and down on the arena floor where it was warmer. First time I got to see UFO as well.

Ah, yes, Hemispheres...I am envious!

I was not even five years old in January of '79. :( :P

• Like 1

Ah, yes, Hemispheres...I am envious!

I was not even five years old in January of '79. :( :P

Wow :) I graduated high school in June 1978. I feel old. :LOL:

Also, I have to edit my original post. After I was thinking about it, The 1981 concert was in March. It was the Hemispheres tour show that was in December.

• Like 1

AC/DC, front row.

Police Synchronicity Tour, front row.

Rush, S & A, front row.

R40, Seattle, walked up, no ticket...got invited to watch from a luxury box by a multi-millionaire. Prime rib and open bar. :martini:

Tom Petty/Black Crows was an amazing show. Just amazing.

Hughes Corporation at Disneyland, 1974. Rock the Boat, baby!

• Like 2

Minnesota Orchestra - Osmo Vanska, conductor.

Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 (With full choral group) in Winona, MN., during the annual Minnesota Beethoven Festival.

In spite of all the great rock & roll shows I've seen spanning four decades, THIS was the greatest musical experience I've ever had. The audience didn't want Osmo and his orchestra to leave! It was truly a mind-blowing experience.

• Like 2

Not sure if this has been discussed (or even if I did it prior to this) But I was listening to Roger Water's Amused to Death, today after dropping my wife off at work, and when they played the Perfect Sense section (I & II) I had a moment, and remembered when I saw the 1999 tour live and they did the AtD section of the show, and it was AMAZING! (and the fact that PP Arnold was there to sing it was even better!) But this spurred a thought...What AMAZING concert memories do you have? (I get it...Rush..but it's a Rush forum) But what parts of what shows are ones that whenever you hear a certain song you go right back to it?

So obviously the one I just mentioned, and Gilmour's Floyd in 1987 at JFK Stadium when they opened with Echoes (and there were spotlights making a Pyramid over the stadium) was amazing. The whole Wall show when I saw Roger's tour in 2010 was an amazing moment, too!

Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, & Howe playing Close to the Edge to start the second half of the show in 89

Seeing Toto finally was just a cool experience this past summer..always wanted to see them...

And Jacob's Ladder and Xanadu this past tour (and other stuff...but those two stand out)

We live relatively close proximity-wise, so I'm thinking that many of my highlights are the same as those you've listed (JFK, ABWH, Yes etc.). Here are some more for me.

Iron Maiden playing Rime of the Ancient Mariner on the Powerslave tour at the Spectrum

Getting to see Clapton with Roger Waters in 84 at the Spectrum

My first concert - Phil Collins at Stabler Arena in 83

10th row for Van Halen on the 1984 tour (you guessed it...at the Spectrum)

4th row for the Scorpions in '85 I believe.

My first Rush show ever on the Presto tour

Taking two of my kids (ages 16 and 21) to the R40 show in Philly. This one tops them all.

• Like 2

We live relatively close proximity-wise, so I'm thinking that many of my highlights are the same as those you've listed (JFK, ABWH, Yes etc.). Here are some more for me.

Iron Maiden playing Rime of the Ancient Mariner on the Powerslave tour at the Spectrum

Getting to see Clapton with Roger Waters in 84 at the Spectrum

My first concert - Phil Collins at Stabler Arena in 83

10th row for Van Halen on the 1984 tour (you guessed it...at the Spectrum)

4th row for the Scorpions in '85 I believe.

My first Rush show ever on the Presto tour

Taking two of my kids (ages 16 and 21) to the R40 show in Philly. This one tops them all.

Where are ya? I'm in Hershey....

I got to see Maiden on their tour with Priest (City Island in Harrisburg) Number of the Beast Tour! Pretty crazy!

Only got to see the Floyd show at JFK...had to bag others because of another commitment I had in those daze (marched in a few drum and bugle corps, so anything on a weekend was out) A Yes show there was a wanna see, but....

I saw a bunch of shows at the Spectrum, and Vet Stadium...Rush 84 & 88...Yes in 1991 on the Union tour Genesis and Floyd at Vet's Billy Jpel and Elton John at Vet's Then when they opened the First Union Center.... Saw Buffett at Citizen's Bank park a few times.

Recently I got to see Anderson-Ponty at the Keswick (talk about a hole!)..and I have tickets to Dream Theatre at the Tower...never been there yet!

First ever gig of course : Deep Purple with Elf in support. 1974.

AC/DC gigs with Bon Scott.

First Rush Gig Glasgow 1977 .

Boston on a double bill with the Scorpions in Germany.

had a few friends that got to see AC/DC with Bon...realized years later how freaking lucky they were!

• Like 3