"Under The Milky Way:" The Church Vs Echo And The Bunnymen! "Lips Like Sugar"

RUSHHEAD666

The Church Has A Very Strange Echo......  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which Band Do You Dig The Most?

• Echo And The Bunnymen
    • The Church

One of my all time favorite bands. Saw them perform Starfish in its entirety about 2 years ago. Killer.

A top five band for me as well. Loved them back in the day (Heyday/Starfish era) and re-discovered them in the late '90s when they went on that amazing run starting with Hologram of Baal. Their latest, Further Deeper, is a freakin' modern masterpiece, esp the 2-LP version (Euro CD also has the three extra tracks). Even during their wilderness period -- the tired Gold Afternoon Fix through the low-point Magician Among the Spirits -- they released their magnum opus, Priest=Aura. An amazing talent who unlike most bands has just become better with age.

I love Echo and the Bunnymen, esp Porcupine (a hallmark '80s album, subdued and minimalist; nothing like the saccharin Lips Like Sugar), but for me The Church is up there with Zeppelin and Floyd ... for me (not a majority opinion, obviously).

Oh, and those who don't love P-Furs, their first three albums are among the greats of the '80s (after those they pulled a Lips Like Sugar-esque bid for commercial success, and then got old), esp that dark and beautiful first album. India, Sister Europe, Imitation of Christ ... fantastic!

This is an excellent post! It's nice to see The Church get a lot of love on here.

WOW Chemistry1973!!! You saw :"Starfish" performed live all the way through???? YOU LUCKY DOG!!!!!! I mean DOGFISH!!!

Where did you see them live?

I saw the show at the El Rey in Los Angeles. They played Priest=Aura and Untitled #23 as well.

No way!! They played three albums in one show???? LUCKY GUY!!!!!

• Like 1

You guys like IT BITES? New Wave Pop Prog. I love them.

Never heard of them. I do remember you liking the Surf Punks, as I recall.

Geez...we're going full nostalgia here.

...Wow. Surf Punks. Love all their stuff. Our summer music from '83 on up. Thanks for the reference.

OK Earl, you just completely weirded me out. The last band I played in played BOTH of those tunes.

You know me, I'm not a real '80's pop/hair kinda guy. But my band raintown played them and it was... cool. Pretty OK, actually. I don't play metal all the time. This was a Folk rock/'80's/blues/rock/country mix. Got it? No? Welcome to Bellingham. We had this great guitar player... real incendiary. Wow. Played in a band called Cyberia in the early '90's in the San Francisco area. He LOVED this stuff (you should see some of his band pics from BITD). We had a lot of cool originals. Too bad we didn't get a clean recording of any of it. I figure we had about an album and a half of songs before it blew apart. Dammit. I have a few discs of rehearsals and one live (recorded through one mic) to show for it... including the aforementioned songs.

I can't pick either song, because I had no familiarity with them when they were new, I just blindly threw myself in and figured out a bassline. Apparently, on one song I inadvertently mimicked the keyboard line.

Thanks for the jolt.

Funny how this thread gets more response than mine on Monster Magnet. Totally not a complaint. Just interesting. It's cool.

Dr.Strange

:fury:

• Like 2

...Wow. Surf Punks. Love all their stuff. Our summer music from '83 on up. Thanks for the reference.

OK Earl, you just completely weirded me out. The last band I played in played BOTH of those tunes.

You know me, I'm not a real '80's pop/hair kinda guy. But my band raintown played them and it was... cool. Pretty OK, actually. I don't play metal all the time. This was a Folk rock/'80's/blues/rock/country mix. Got it? No? Welcome to Bellingham. We had this great guitar player... real incendiary. Wow. Played in a band called Cyberia in the early '90's in the San Francisco area. He LOVED this stuff (you should see some of his band pics from BITD). We had a lot of cool originals. Too bad we didn't get a clean recording of any of it. I figure we had about an album and a half of songs before it blew apart. Dammit. I have a few discs of rehearsals and one live (recorded through one mic) to show for it... including the aforementioned songs.

I can't pick either song, because I had no familiarity with them when they were new, I just blindly threw myself in and figured out a bassline. Apparently, on one song I inadvertently mimicked the keyboard line.

Thanks for the jolt.

Funny how this thread gets more response than mine on Monster Magnet. Totally not a complaint. Just interesting. It's cool.

Dr.Strange

Ozzy!

I do you know you and I adore you too. Again. Broken Record Man Earl. I have a lot of love for many of you on here and I wish we could all get together somewhere and party.

I would fly anywhere so it wouldn't have to be in California.

I know you are not a big 80's guy, but your endorsement on the Surf Punks is huge. "My Beach" is truly one of the greatest albums to be ever made in that decade.

I could listen to it one thousand times in a row.

All good.

Ozzy, you get me. I live for the JOLT on here. I'm not talking about Jolt Cola either. I am talking about putting a sparking into a one dimensional forum. By that statement I am not insulting Jim and his hard work, I am merely stating that writing on a fuckiingg forum is like texting.

You miss a lot of the true human emotion when just typing shite, hence that's why I try to be different than most. I try to add emotion on a one dimensional board.

Hence the work "FUKK."

Just a word on the internet, but when used in real life it makes a statement.

The Surf Punks FUCKKING RULE!!!

CAPS ON!!

YELLING!

MAKING A STATEMENT IN A STERILE ONE DIMENSIONAL ENVIRONMENT!!

I love to annoy people. Such is life.

I met a 33 year old surfer speaking of the Surf Punks. She's blonde and beautiful I'm actually nervous. Going out with her on Thursday. She's a boxer too. I'm going to marry her just so she can protect my big mouth.

I'm kidding of course.

LOL!!

I have an extra copy of "My Beach" on cd. I'm going to give it to her on Thursday.

She is tan all year round. I "Can't Get A Tan!" LOL!

Signed,

"BEER CAN BEACH!"

Love you Ozzy!

• Like 1

I love this this thread! THE CHURCH RULE!

I have been listening to "Starfish" every night for the last five nights!

REPTILE!

That's me!!!

I will take "Godzilla!"

Signed,

SOFT WHITE UNDERBELLY

Disclaimer: I am not insane. I just know my shit.

Both great bands, but nothing that Echo and the Bunnyman have done can match the material on Starfish.

Which band do you like the most?

I've been on a very strange Church and Echo run this week.

For me it's The Church! I love it all. "Starfish" is a wonderful record!!

If you hate The Church then you better get on your hands and knees and pray for forgiveness!

I don't know The Church. Not yet.

I love Echo and The Bunnymen, one of the greatest bands ever! They were truly rebbelious with had a cause.

They have the music and surrounding atmosphere.

Ian's vocals is very based on Jim Morrison.

Thanks for the jolt.

Dr.Strange

Ozzy!

I do you know you and I adore you too. Again. Broken Record Man Earl. I have a lot of love for many of you on here and I wish we could all get together somewhere and party.

I know you are not a big 80's guy, but your endorsement on the Surf Punks is huge. "My Beach" is truly one of the greatest albums to be ever made in that decade.

All good.

Ozzy, you get me. I live for the JOLT on here. I'm not talking about Jolt Cola either. I am talking about putting a sparking into a one dimensional forum. By that statement I am not insulting Jim and his hard work, I am merely stating that writing on a fuckiingg forum is like texting.

You miss a lot of the true human emotion when just typing shite, hence that's why I try to be different than most. I try to add emotion on a one dimensional board.

Hence the work "FUKK."

CAPS ON!!

YELLING!

I met a 33 year old surfer speaking of the Surf Punks. She's blonde and beautiful I'm actually nervous. Going out with her on Thursday. She's a boxer too. I'm going to marry her just so she can protect my big mouth.

I'm kidding of course.

LOL!!

I have an extra copy of "My Beach" on cd. I'm going to give it to her on Thursday.

Signed,

"BEER CAN BEACH!"

Love you Ozzy!

So... Does this surfer girl live deep in the Valley? Does she drive a Jeep that's pink? :LOL:

I think I still have all their albums pretty well memorized. Including the jabber on Camp Malibu. My buddies and I quoted from them pretty much daily.

Surf tommorrow, tonite DISCO!

Thanks for the jolt.

Dr.Strange

Ozzy!

All good.

Hence the work "FUKK."

CAPS ON!!

YELLING!

I'm kidding of course.

LOL!!

Signed,

"BEER CAN BEACH!"

Love you Ozzy!

So... Does this surfer girl live deep in the Valley? Does she drive a Jeep that's pink? :LOL:

I think I still have all their albums pretty well memorized. Including the jabber on Camp Malibu. My buddies and I quoted from them pretty much daily.

No surf tomorrow for me....Somebody ripped my stick!
  • Like 1

Thanks for the jolt.

Dr.Strange

Ozzy!

All good.

Hence the work "FUKK."

CAPS ON!!

YELLING!

I'm kidding of course.

LOL!!

Signed,

"BEER CAN BEACH!"

Love you Ozzy!

No surf tomorrow for me....Somebody ripped my stick!

"That guy must be a prick!"

God I love that record.

TOP TEN!!! HANG TEN BUDDY!! LOL!

Ive liked both in the past, but Bunnymen more so. Saw The Church open for the Bunnymen around 1986 or so.

Bunnymen have been a shell of their former selves since Pattinson left.

WaIt a minute. I started this thread as a Church vs Echo and The Church opened for the Bunnymen? That is totally cool!!

The Bunnymen should have opened for The Church! LOL!

• Like 1

Ive liked both in the past, but Bunnymen more so. Saw The Church open for the Bunnymen around 1986 or so.

Bunnymen have been a shell of their former selves since Pattinson left.

WaIt a minute. I started this thread as a Church vs Echo and The Church opened for the Bunnymen? That is totally cool!!

The Bunnymen should have opened for The Church! LOL!

Bunnymen were the bigger band back then.

April 1986 it was.

If you hate The Church then you better get on your hands and knees and pray for forgiveness!

I love Echo and The Bunnymen, one of the greatest bands ever! They were truly rebbelious with had a cause.

"I don't know The Church. Not yet."

Unsolicited advice on its way...

The essentials, in chronological order:

Heyday

Starfish

Priest=Aura

Hologram of Baal

After Everything Now this

Forget Yourself

Further Deeper

Only for the true believers (you likely wouldn't miss these):

Gold Afternoon Fix (pressured follow-up to Starfish, and their first dud)

Sometime Anywhere (no longer the original lineup; experimenting with synth-y sound)

Magician Among the Spirits (uninspired follow-up to Sometime Anywhere; after this album they re-form and re-ignite)

Everything else is really good. Huge catalog but almost all of it very good (apart from those three above, but even they have high points). If I were you I'd just start from the beginning, they were great out of the box.

Edited by Rutlefan

Heyday

Starfish

Priest=Aura

Hologram of Baal

Forget Yourself

Further Deeper

Sometime Anywhere (no longer the original lineup; experimenting with synth-y sound)

Magician Among the Spirits (uninspired follow-up to Sometime Anywhere; after this album they re-form and re-ignite)

Everything else is really good. Huge catalog but almost all of it very good (apart from those three above, but even they have high points). If I were you I'd just start from the beginning, they were great out of the box.

I only have a couple Church albums (so far - need to fix that!) but I love Of Skins and Heart. Plus, it has my favourite Church song: The Unguarded Moment.

• Like 1

Heyday

Starfish

Priest=Aura

Hologram of Baal

Forget Yourself

Further Deeper

I only have a couple Church albums (so far - need to fix that!) but I love Of Skins and Heart. Plus, it has my favourite Church song: The Unguarded Moment.

Rutlefan leaving the debut off was a shocker. And the follow-up The Blurred Crusade. :huh:

When does the Bread vs. Jim Croce vs. Al Stewart thread occur?

Al Stewart.

I like Bread. Especially a nice, warm, crusty San Francisco sourdough bread with butter on it, mmmm.

• Like 2