Riverside guitarist Piotr Grudziński has died at age 40

Presto-digitation

Terrible news.

NEWS / JERRY EWING / 21 FEB 2016

31 SHARES

MORE

Piotr Grudzinski Passes Away Aged 40

Riverside guitarist Piotr Grudzinski has died, according to a statement on the Polish band's website.

In a short statement the band simply say: "In our deepest pain and disbelief we would like to inform you that our dearest friend and brother Piotr Grudzinski has passed away this morning. We kindly ask you to respect the privacy of his family and friends."

The band had been preparing for a Polish tour with support acts Lion Shepherd and Sounds Like The End Of The World. They are also booked to headline this year's RoSFest on the Saturday night.

There are no further details as yet, although unconfirmed reports online suggest Grudzinski had attended a show by The Winery Dogs in Warsaw last night

------------------

I'm absolutely gutted.

RIP mate.

According to his Facebook Portnoy confirmed he was at their show.

RIP

RIP Piotr. I've liked Riverside - and I saw them briefly at a festival last summer - for a while but I've really been getting into their stuff on these, last couple of weeks especially Love, Fear and the Time Machine. It makes me sad knowing they will never sound the same.

This year really isn't getting any better...

Holy crap! This is tremendously sad!

ADHD is one of my favorite albums, ever.

Hey Cooper! I have ADHD!!! On cd and in my mind! LOL!

Kidding!!!

Or am I?

Maybe not the best time and place for this sort of humour, buddy...

• Like 1

I know this is just the WRONG time to say this, but I hope they do not break up....although I would certainly understand it if they did.

I really like them based on what I have heard. I was listening yesterday thinking how great that would be live, so selfishly I think likewise.

Became a big fan of this band in the last 6 months. Just in time for this. :(

I think his playing was perfect for the band. A little less accomplished than perhaps some other prog rock acts, but certainly great in all the ways his instincts were spot on. Choice of sound, attack, note, etc all added depth to their compositions. His leads were melodic and had that Gilmore conservation of notes vibe. Never found it bland or phoned in. The whole band defined "group" playing, IMO. They got brief musical moments to shine, but never at the song's expense. Hopefully Riverside can find a worthy replacement to carry on, but if they didn't I could definitely understand. He was (IMO) an integral part of their identity.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 2

I hope they continue. They are just too good to pack it in.

Yeah. Exactly. I would totally understand if they did. Piotr's style was really an important and signature part of their sound. They'll certainly never be the same, but that doesn't mean they have to pack it in either. Will be interesting to see what's decided over the next year.

Duda will definitely be the key. He is to Riverside what Steven Wilson is to Porcupine Tree.

Both for better and worse.

Piotr was so humble. I read an interview where he basically said -- and it's true, but not everyone would say it -- that the only reason you're interviewing me now and know who I am is because of Duda. He was really in awe of what that guy brought to the table and was humble and willing to play as big or small a role as it took to achieve that vision.

What are your thoughts on whether or not the band should/will break up? I know it's not the right time to be talking about such things, but selfishly I do not want them to retire Riverside.

John Wesley?

I hope they don't break up but could understand if they decided to call it a day. Although John Wesley might work musically, I can't see them with a non-Polish band member. They seemed such a strong unit I'm struggling to envisage them with anyone else at the moment.
  • Like 2

What are your thoughts on whether or not the band should/will break up? I know it's not the right time to be talking about such things, but selfishly I do not want them to retire Riverside.

John Wesley?

I hope they don't break up but could understand if they decided to call it a day. Although John Wesley might work musically, I can't see them with a non-Polish band member. They seemed such a strong unit I'm struggling to envisage them with anyone else at the moment.

This is my thinking, too. I just can't see them continuing with someone else - I'm not saying it won't happen, but they seemed so happy and optimistic when I saw them last year, it makes it even harder to consider.

Anyway, I'm currently in love with this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opuk1eReL-A

• Like 1

Riverside's last two albums, particularly the excellent Slaves one, are brilliant and beautiful.

I look forward to exploring them further, I just wish it hadn't taken a tragedy for me to finally take the plunge.

• Like 1

Slaves was my entry point, Fear Love took a while to grow on me. I like most of their prior albums, but they're hit/miss track to track. There's more consistency starting around REM/ADHD. Slaves doesn't have a single filler/stinker on it.

Mariusz just posted this on Facebook...

https://www.facebook...174665322545384

One of my favourite mischievous remarks I liked to tease Grudzien with was reminding him the day before his birthday that he's half a year older than me. Just before he turned 40 I said, "Do you know how old I will be on March 15th? Still 39, and you?"

We listened to the same music. We would play Solar Fields or Hedningarna at parties and dance with our eyes closed around an invisible bonfire. In the old Progresja club we would lie on our backs on the small stage in the corner and listen to Archive from the speakers. And to the cool solutions we came up with in "In Two Minds". We would compete with each other as to who was the more loyal Dead Can Dance fan, who loved the band more. I lost ignominiously when I realised that all of his tattoos were connected with Dead Can Dance graphic designs. And that he paid over PLN 500 at an auction for "Into The Labyrinth" vinyl.

We subscribed to the idea that three perfect sounds are more meaningful than twelve played around the guitar neck. We were excited by this emotional approach. I composed songs in such way that he could fill them with those perfect few notes. We completed each other. Right from the beginning of Riverside I knew he was a special guitarist whose playing was made for painting musical landscapes. He had his own original style, and that has always been more important for me than technical contortions and circus tricks. Most of all, he was modest, humble and he knew exactly what he was capable of. And you could hear all that in the way he played. It was incredible and fascinating.

He couldn't disguise emotions. When he was happy, he showed that, jumped for joy, goofed around, and when he was in a bad mood, he couldn't pretend even when he was on stage. He was peeved and everyone could see that. We would then go backstage after a gig and tell him, "f**k, Piotr, people can see that you're pissed off, when will you finally learn to play a bit for them?" And he would shout back, "But that's the way I am and I can't help it!" And indeed that's the way he was. Painfully honest. He played what he could the way he could, he never faked anything. That's the kind of man he was. But we were growing up together. And during our last tour, we were surprised at how many positive emotions we were able to inspire in each other. Especially when we looked and smiled at each other. And that idea to lean back to back while playing "Feel Like Falling" charged our batteries for the entire gig. We were becoming as one on stage, a true band. And it was thanks to him that I wanted us to continue as a band in spite of my solo aspirations.

We learned from each other the most important things. To always remember that, first and foremost, you have to be a good person. To cherish the most valuable characteristics in us. To live a full life and never put it off for later. Whenever I was lost, he was the reason I was able to find myself again. That's the way we influenced, inspired and helped each other. We were like brothers. Sometimes closer, sometimes further apart, but we could always count on each other. We were connected by so much more than music. We were connected by the ability to talk about what most people don't want to talk about, emotions and how we felt, and why we reacted the way we did, and why we were the way we were.

It must be a joke, a grim twist from the damned "Game of Thrones", which we were reading avidly at the same time, checking furtively how many pages the other one had got left to read. A terrible blow as if a baby learning to make its first steps was swept away by that big wrecking ball. And all that's left is a huge black empty hole with remnants of dead flesh around. I feel as if half of my heart was ripped out of my chest, as if half of my soul was taken away from me. I keep crying and I can't get a grip. I feel an immense sea of sadness and pain inside me. Yes, sometimes, to balance things out, I get a glimpse of black humour. Sometimes, I'm simply pissed off. But the truth is, I miss you, Piotr, and I don't know how to cope with it. A lot has ended when you died, a lot has faded, vanished, fallen to pieces. I am simply devastated. I feel as if tides were crashing me against rocks and with every wave it's getting worse. I don't know when the pain will pass but it looks like for now it has to be a part of me. Just like you have been a part of my life.

Farewell my beloved Friend. See you somewhere on the other side.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1