I Think I'm Going Bald

Between the Wheels

Red Tide

Tai Shan

Why Between the Wheels?

Maybe they've never seen it life

I have seen it live. Still nothing.

Circumstances sits with me the same way

I truly never realised you have a medium tolerance of Hemispheres before...

What about A Farewell To Kings? It is their best seventies record in my opinion.

AFTK, PEW, POW, and CA reside on my perfect album shelf. IMO AFTK was their best until CA

I've always been baffled by the love for AFTK. Beyond Xanadu and Closer to the Heart, it's a bit of a mess to me.

Strange, innit?

You forgot the other songs that are so awesome

The title track is really good. Cinderella Man is a personal favorite. Madrigal is a better filler track than most beloved tracks on Fly By Night and the debut, imo. Cygnus has great vocals!

Yeah I don't know, AFTK is pretty awesome.

OK...in keeping with the spirit of the thread, here's how I Iisten to the immaculate stinker that is AFTK:

AFTK - usually skip. The break is cool, but getting to that point requires enduring too many eyeroll moments.

Xanadu - epicness

CTTH - Beautiful...occasionally I play it back to back

Cinderella Man - usually skip once the chorus kicks in. Better version on Dif Stages disc 3

Madrigal - skip. nauseating in every possible way

Cygnis X-1 - Musically pretty epic start to finish, but the vocals and lyrics are eyeroll enducing.

Verdict, AFTK is a hugely disappointing follow up to 2112. Ambitious but misguided attempt to emulate Yes-thro Tull. Not until Hemispheres Side 2 does RUSH regain their stride, followed by back to back home runs with PeW and MP.

Sorry folks. :coy:

Someone else not that into Side A of Hemispheres?

And I must admit...as much as I live AFTK, these last few months I have been enjoying Fly By Night and Caress Of Steel a heck of a lot more! Those two plus AFTK are my favourite seventies Rush records!

• Like 1

10 worst ...

Faithless

Anagram (for Mongo)

Good News First

You Bet Your Life

Dog Years

Bravest Face

I Think I'm Going Bald

Between the Wheels

Red Tide

Tai Shan

Why Between the Wheels?

What about A Farewell To Kings? It is their best seventies record in my opinion.

AFTK, PEW, POW, and CA reside on my perfect album shelf. IMO AFTK was their best until CA

I've always been baffled by the love for AFTK. Beyond Xanadu and Closer to the Heart, it's a bit of a mess to me.

Strange, innit?

The title track is really good. Cinderella Man is a personal favorite. Madrigal is a better filler track than most beloved tracks on Fly By Night and the debut, imo. Cygnus has great vocals!

OK...in keeping with the spirit of the thread, here's how I Iisten to the immaculate stinker that is AFTK:

AFTK - usually skip. The break is cool, but getting to that point requires enduring too many eyeroll moments.

Xanadu - epicness

Cinderella Man - usually skip once the chorus kicks in. Better version on Dif Stages disc 3

Cygnis X-1 - Musically pretty epic start to finish, but the vocals and lyrics are eyeroll enducing.

Verdict, AFTK is a hugely disappointing follow up to 2112. Ambitious but misguided attempt to emulate Yes-thro Tull. Not until Hemispheres Side 2 does RUSH regain their stride, followed by back to back home runs with PeW and MP.

And I must admit...as much as I live AFTK, these last few months I have been enjoying Fly By Night and Caress Of Steel a heck of a lot more! Those two plus AFTK are my favourite seventies Rush records!

The first 4:29 of Hemi, Side A, are gold. Apollo and Dionysis are solid, but then it gets :beathorse: .
  • Like 2

10 worst ...

Faithless

Anagram (for Mongo)

Good News First

You Bet Your Life

Dog Years

Bravest Face

I Think I'm Going Bald

Between the Wheels

Red Tide

Tai Shan

Why Between the Wheels?

Strange, innit?

Xanadu - epicness

The first 4:29 of Hemi, Side A, are gold. Apollo and Dionysis are solid, but then it gets :beathorse: .

Well I never...I felt alone in my critique of this song for ages!

In the right mood (generally in a full on Rush marathon mood), Hemispheres is addictive. But it's one of the least friendly Rush albums if I am not in a Rush mood (whereas, Caress Of Steel, Hold Your Fire and Grace Under Pressure I can play almost any time).

But I ain't gonna knock Hemispheres. I can really dig it at times.

But thank goodness they changed things up when they gave us Permanent Waves!

• Like 1

10 worst ...

Faithless

Anagram (for Mongo)

Good News First

You Bet Your Life

Dog Years

Bravest Face

I Think I'm Going Bald

Between the Wheels

Red Tide

Tai Shan

Why Between the Wheels?

Strange, innit?

Xanadu - epicness

In the right mood (generally in a full on Rush marathon mood), Hemispheres is addictive. But it's one of the least friendly Rush albums if I am not in a Rush mood (whereas, Caress Of Steel, Hold Your Fire and Grace Under Pressure I can play almost any time).

As an album, Hemispheres can stay in my driving music rotation for a month or more, but I'll often skip the title track... at least the second half.

10 worst ...

Faithless

Anagram (for Mongo)

Good News First

You Bet Your Life

Dog Years

Bravest Face

I Think I'm Going Bald

Between the Wheels

Red Tide

Tai Shan

Why Between the Wheels?

Strange, innit?

Xanadu - epicness

As an album, Hemispheres can stay in my driving music rotation for a month or more, but I'll often skip the title track... at least the second half.

I recently discovered the joys of circumstances played LOUD. On CD...it always sort of got lost.

That's the downside of CD versus vinyl. It can be harder to appreciate the effort put into each album side.

• Like 1

10 worst ...

Faithless

Anagram (for Mongo)

Good News First

You Bet Your Life

Dog Years

Bravest Face

I Think I'm Going Bald

Between the Wheels

Red Tide

Tai Shan

Why Between the Wheels?

Strange, innit?

Xanadu - epicness

I recently discovered the joys of circumstances played LOUD. On CD...it always sort of got lost.

That's the downside of CD versus vinyl. It can be harder to appreciate the effort put into each album side.

I love Circumstances. Like you say, loud is best.
  • Like 2

When listening to bootleg performances of Book II, and the vibe these three guys brought into existence, I am struck with the feeling that this is the greatest music ever created ..

I am not. But that's the joy of music!

• Like 1

10 worst ...

Faithless

Anagram (for Mongo)

Good News First

You Bet Your Life

Dog Years

Bravest Face

I Think I'm Going Bald

Between the Wheels

Red Tide

Tai Shan

Why Between the Wheels?

Strange, innit?

Xanadu - epicness

The first 4:29 of Hemi, Side A, are gold. :beathorse: .

^^^^right here, and La Villa. Well, The Trees too
  • Like 1

10th least Favorite: Carve Away the Stone

9th: Peaceable Kingdom

8th: Good News First

7th: High Water

6th: Color of Right

5th: The Pass

4th: New World Man

3rd: Rivendell

2nd: BU2B2

1st and Absolute Least Favorite: Tai Shan

I like Tai Shan but totally get why many dislike it. But New World Man & The Pass?? Wow! Those are interesting picks. Not trying to be rude but, why the dislike?? Just curious - if you can articulate/explain it.

For me, "The Pass" is my least favorite song from my least favorite album, "Presto". I find the song tedious and just simply boring. Musically, the song just has no guts. It's like it's trying to be soft and gentle and attempting advice, but it's just weak. I mean, "Turn around and Turn around and Turn around" ??? I just have to slam the door on this song.

As for "New World Man". Did you know that this song - THIS SONG - is Rush's biggest hit by Billboard's standards? (For what that's worth.) Yep, bigger than "Tom Sawyer". And to me, that song, "Tom Sawyer", is what this song is trying to be. Lyrically, at least. Musically? Yuck. Right from the "popcorn popping" intro, it's just not what I want from Rush. Yes, I know, I know... Rush songs don't all have to be the same thing musically and they certainly aren't. But this song, for me, is the most un-Rush song in Rush's song list. Even un-Rushier than "Tai Shan". "New World Man" received MAJOR airplay from radio stations simply because the song was the shortest on the "Signals" album. And the only reason this song was even recorded in the first place was because the guys decided the album was about 3 minutes or so too short. They pretty much threw this song together and then threw it on the album and radio stations jumped on it because it wasn't the usual 5 or 6 minute Rush length. Lifeson could play this song with his toes (and maybe he does.) Peart is mostly missing except for a quick burst of energy here and there. Lee is more concerned with his synth than his bass. Though that's a problem with most of "Signals". (Well, to me anyway.) "New World Man" did not deserve the radio play it got and it doesn't deserve to be Rush's biggest hit. Blech.

It seems maybe you really like these two songs. If so, then great for you. From your own list, I really like the song, "Nocturne".

Many thanks for the really articulate answer to my question!!!!

I can understand what you are saying about Presto and The Pass. A lot of folks seem to like The Pass (myself included - more on that in a bit) - that's mostly why I asked.

As for my feelings on it, I did not like Presto when it came out - not at all. I saw Rush on the Presto tour - it was the first time I had seen them - and loved the show. But the album - no thanks. That started to change when I heard them play The Pass on the VT tour and then saw it on the Rush in Rio DVD. It made me really reconsider the song. Still, it was another couple of years before I started to like the album.

Now I would say The Pass might be a top 50 song for me. Almost certainly in their top 75. I have never really sat ranked all of their songs. Its on my "to do" list but just not done it. Given how great Rush is, for a song to be in their top 3rd (or at least top half) of their songs - that a compliment.

For New World Man - yes I was aware of the very interesting fact you mentioned. Strange. You would think Tom Sawyer or Limelight or Subdivisions or Spirit of Radio or Freewill or.... Still, it was with that fact i mind that I asked.

You are correct, I do like this one. Its not a top 10 song for me but it might be in the top 20. Definitely top 30. I enjoy the lyrics a lot. I can totally understand how you find the music to be pop-cornish but, as a change of pace, I find it enjoyable.

By the Way - glad you like Nocturne. Thanks again for the great answer to my question!!!!!

10 worst ...

Faithless

Anagram (for Mongo)

Good News First

You Bet Your Life

Dog Years

Bravest Face

I Think I'm Going Bald

Between the Wheels

Red Tide

Tai Shan

Why Between the Wheels?

Strange, innit?

Xanadu - epicness

That would be me. IMO, the self titled album was ok, FBN is wonderful, CoS a dog, 2112 brilliant, AFTK wonderful and side 1 of Hemispheres is just so-so, ho-hum, adequate & acceptable. At best. But I find I don't really seek it out much. Nothing special. Just ok.

Side 2, on the other hand, is wonderful - esp. Circumstances.

• Like 1

10 worst ...

Faithless

Anagram (for Mongo)

Good News First

You Bet Your Life

Dog Years

Bravest Face

I Think I'm Going Bald

Between the Wheels

Red Tide

Tai Shan

Why Between the Wheels?

Strange, innit?

Xanadu - epicness

That would be me. IMO, the self titled album was ok, FBN is wonderful, CoS a dog, 2112 brilliant, AFTK wonderful and side 1 of Hemispheres is just so-so, ho-hum, adequate & acceptable. At best. But I find I don't really seek it out much. Nothing special. Just ok.

Side 2, on the other hand, is wonderful - esp. Circumstances.

Steven Wilson is also not into Side A of Hemispheres. Makes me laugh when people say I don't get prog when they find out I am so-so over Hemispheres.

10th least Favorite: Carve Away the Stone

9th: Peaceable Kingdom

8th: Good News First

7th: High Water

6th: Color of Right

5th: The Pass

4th: New World Man

3rd: Rivendell

2nd: BU2B2

1st and Absolute Least Favorite: Tai Shan

I like Tai Shan but totally get why many dislike it. But New World Man & The Pass?? Wow! Those are interesting picks. Not trying to be rude but, why the dislike?? Just curious - if you can articulate/explain it.

For me, "The Pass" is my least favorite song from my least favorite album, "Presto". I find the song tedious and just simply boring. Musically, the song just has no guts. It's like it's trying to be soft and gentle and attempting advice, but it's just weak. I mean, "Turn around and Turn around and Turn around" ??? I just have to slam the door on this song.

As for "New World Man". Did you know that this song - THIS SONG - is Rush's biggest hit by Billboard's standards? (For what that's worth.) Yep, bigger than "Tom Sawyer". And to me, that song, "Tom Sawyer", is what this song is trying to be. Lyrically, at least. Musically? Yuck. Right from the "popcorn popping" intro, it's just not what I want from Rush. Yes, I know, I know... Rush songs don't all have to be the same thing musically and they certainly aren't. But this song, for me, is the most un-Rush song in Rush's song list. Even un-Rushier than "Tai Shan". "New World Man" received MAJOR airplay from radio stations simply because the song was the shortest on the "Signals" album. And the only reason this song was even recorded in the first place was because the guys decided the album was about 3 minutes or so too short. They pretty much threw this song together and then threw it on the album and radio stations jumped on it because it wasn't the usual 5 or 6 minute Rush length. Lifeson could play this song with his toes (and maybe he does.) Peart is mostly missing except for a quick burst of energy here and there. Lee is more concerned with his synth than his bass. Though that's a problem with most of "Signals". (Well, to me anyway.) "New World Man" did not deserve the radio play it got and it doesn't deserve to be Rush's biggest hit. Blech.

It seems maybe you really like these two songs. If so, then great for you. From your own list, I really like the song, "Nocturne".

Many thanks for the really articulate answer to my question!!!!

I can understand what you are saying about Presto and The Pass. A lot of folks seem to like The Pass (myself included - more on that in a bit) - that's mostly why I asked.

As for my feelings on it, I did not like Presto when it came out - not at all. I saw Rush on the Presto tour - it was the first time I had seen them - and loved the show. But the album - no thanks. That started to change when I heard them play The Pass on the VT tour and then saw it on the Rush in Rio DVD. It made me really reconsider the song. Still, it was another couple of years before I started to like the album.

Now I would say The Pass might be a top 50 song for me. Almost certainly in their top 75. I have never really sat ranked all of their songs. Its on my "to do" list but just not done it. Given how great Rush is, for a song to be in their top 3rd (or at least top half) of their songs - that a compliment.

For New World Man - yes I was aware of the very interesting fact you mentioned. Strange. You would think Tom Sawyer or Limelight or Subdivisions or Spirit of Radio or Freewill or.... Still, it was with that fact i mind that I asked.

You are correct, I do like this one. Its not a top 10 song for me but it might be in the top 20. Definitely top 30. I enjoy the lyrics a lot. I can totally understand how you find the music to be pop-cornish but, as a change of pace, I find it enjoyable.

By the Way - glad you like Nocturne. Thanks again for the great answer to my question!!!!!

Just a quick thanks for responding to my response!

Just listened to Exit Stage Left, and i have to put those versions of Spirit..., Barchetta and YYZ at the bottom of my RUSH list. In fact, them kicking off the album - with the amazing studio versions still fresh at the time - caused me to ignore the album. I just don't like Alex's guitar tone. In fact, it's not till the solo of Bangkok that I begin to enjoy ESL.

As a live album, it has a laid back Steely Dan vibe to it.

10. The Speed of Love

9. Need Some Love

8. High Water

7. Carve Away the Stone

6. Hand Over Fist

5. Anagram (for Mongo)

4. You Bet Your Life

3. Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres

2. The Necromancer

1. The Fountain of Lamneth

Cygnus Book 2? It's musically one of the best Rush songs.

10. The Speed of Love

9. Need Some Love

8. High Water

7. Carve Away the Stone

6. Hand Over Fist

5. Anagram (for Mongo)

4. You Bet Your Life

3. Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres

2. The Necromancer

1. The Fountain of Lamneth

Cygnus Book 2? It's musically one of the best Rush songs.

2/3rds of it.

I only have a bottom five.

1. Available Light

2. Roll The Bones

3. Time Stand Still

4. New World Man

5. Vital Signs

f***ing A.....really? LOL.

Hey to each his/her own. But far from their worst....like light years away from their worst. This is message board shtick right?

• Like 3

1. Available Light

2. Roll The Bones

3. Time Stand Still

4. New World Man

5. Vital Signs

Hey to each his/her own. But far from their worst....like light years away from their worst. This is message board shtick right?

The next five:

6. Subdivisions

7. Freewill

8. Working Man

9. Something for Nothing

10. Xanadu

And Tom Sawyer just missed the bottom ten.

• Like 1

1. Available Light

2. Roll The Bones

3. Time Stand Still

4. New World Man

5. Vital Signs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gugrqnT6yw
  • Like 1

1. Available Light

2. Roll The Bones

3. Time Stand Still

4. New World Man

5. Vital Signs

OK.

First, I haven't listened to much past Signals, and most of the hated stuff comes after it.

Secondly, I actually like all songs on Caress of Steel (Including I Think I'm Going Bald! Ignore the lyrics and you've got a nice song)

Thirdly, Dog Years isn't that bad.

As for why I hate each song.

Vital Signs- Weak attempt at Police-style reggae, and I hate The Police

New World Man- Same, but worse

Time Stand Still- Bland, generic, '80s pop

Roll The Bones- Rap section is garbage

Available Light- Extremely bland attempt at jazz, coupled with a bland, cheesy chorus.

Edited by Eel Yddeg

No order

Anagram (For Mongo)

The Big Wheel

Tai Shan

Need Some Love

Dog Years - absolutely horrible vocals

High Water

Hand Over Fist

Face Up

Take A Friend

I Think I'm Going Bald