8th: Good News First

7th: High Water

6th: Color of Right

5th: The Pass

4th: New World Man

3rd: Rivendell

2nd: BU2B2

1st and Absolute Least Favorite: Tai Shan

I like Tai Shan but totally get why many dislike it. But New World Man & The Pass?? Wow! Those are interesting picks. Not trying to be rude but, why the dislike?? Just curious - if you can articulate/explain it.

Ok, I will take a stab at this. In no particular order it would include:

Dog Years

Virtuality

The Necromancer

The Fountain of Lamneth

Freeze

Out of The Cradle

Nocturne

Carnies

Clockwork Angeles

The Anarchist

I though I was alone disliking The Anarchist and Carnies!

I will admit that those 3 CA songs were a tough pick to include. Much as I like S & A I almost included Bravest Face from it - I really don't care for it .

Also, in my rankings I tried to use the re-mixed version of VT. If I had used the original then I would definitely have included 3 more VT songs and the 3 CA songs would have been bumped out. Not certain which 3 however. The original mix just has so many bad songs. Thank goodness for the re-mix.

Chronologically we have:

Need Some Love

Fly By Night

Limelight

Superconductor

Face Up

Neurotica

You Bet Your Life

Stick It Out

The Speed Of Love

Carve Away The Stone

What in god's name is Limelight doing in there?!!!!

;)

My reaction as well.

Puzzeled by the inclusion of FBN, The Speed of Love & Carve Away the Stone as well - just to a lesser degree.

To each their own I guess - which is 100% fine as it keeps the world interesting.

Part of this I'm sure is because I'm sick of hearing it and it never holds my attention the way other Rush songs do. (Even Tom Sawyer manages to do that.)

But it just isn't all that interesting to me. I get the lyrics and the message, but there isn't much more to interpret from them.

I also know it's Alex's favorite solo and I'm sure he has his reasons (which only he experienced) but for me it's kind of boring. I can think of dozens of solos I like better. (Grace Under Pressure alone has four or five.) Not really a fan of the multi-track approach to the guitar on this song either.

I just don't think it's a very dynamic song. (That may be a reason why it's a classic rock staple...I don't know.) If pushed, I think the outro is ok, but it looks even weaker when compared to the other three songs on that side of the album.

I'll admit it's fairly unusual not to like it but it just doesn't excite me the way other Rush songs do.

So while I'll admit it's generally considered a "classic," it doesn't mean that I have to like it

Need Some Love

Rivendell

I Think I'm Going Bald

Madrigal

Superconductor

Anagram (For Mongo)

Out Of The Cradle

Those are seriously the only 7 Rush songs I will absolutely skip every single solitary time when I play the albums they are from proper.

Not bad for a band with this kind of catalog.

Need Some Love

Rivendell

I Think I'm Going Bald

Madrigal

Superconductor

Anagram (For Mongo)

Out Of The Cradle

Those are seriously the only 7 Rush songs I will absolutely skip every single solitary time when I play the albums they are from proper.

I agree but whats wrong with Anagram?

Hold your fire - tracks 1-10. That was easy.

Wow!! To each their own I guess. Tracks 1 - 9 are all very good to my ears. Time Stand Still is my #3 favorite Rush song. Track 10 is ok. Not special, but not horrible.

The drumming on "Time Stand Still" is just awesome and fun to play along too! I don't get it man but to each their own!! I love every RUSH song ever made up to "Counterparts."

Once Neil changed it fukking drum style and kit configuration it was all downhill from there!!

"High Water" is fantastic!

"Anagram" is amazing!!! "The Saint turns to sin." Dedicated to Treeduck.

Need Some Love

Rivendell

I Think I'm Going Bald

Madrigal

Superconductor

Anagram (For Mongo)

Out Of The Cradle

I agree but whats wrong with Anagram?

Nothing!

Yeah, "Blazing Saddles" sucks too! LOL!

• Like 1

10th least Favorite: Carve Away the Stone

9th: Peaceable Kingdom

8th: Good News First

7th: High Water

6th: Color of Right

5th: The Pass

4th: New World Man

3rd: Rivendell

2nd: BU2B2

1st and Absolute Least Favorite: Tai Shan

I like Tai Shan but totally get why many dislike it. But New World Man & The Pass?? Wow! Those are interesting picks. Not trying to be rude but, why the dislike?? Just curious - if you can articulate/explain it.

For me, "The Pass" is my least favorite song from my least favorite album, "Presto". I find the song tedious and just simply boring. Musically, the song just has no guts. It's like it's trying to be soft and gentle and attempting advice, but it's just weak. I mean, "Turn around and Turn around and Turn around" ??? I just have to slam the door on this song.

As for "New World Man". Did you know that this song - THIS SONG - is Rush's biggest hit by Billboard's standards? (For what that's worth.) Yep, bigger than "Tom Sawyer". And to me, that song, "Tom Sawyer", is what this song is trying to be. Lyrically, at least. Musically? Yuck. Right from the "popcorn popping" intro, it's just not what I want from Rush. Yes, I know, I know... Rush songs don't all have to be the same thing musically and they certainly aren't. But this song, for me, is the most un-Rush song in Rush's song list. Even un-Rushier than "Tai Shan". "New World Man" received MAJOR airplay from radio stations simply because the song was the shortest on the "Signals" album. And the only reason this song was even recorded in the first place was because the guys decided the album was about 3 minutes or so too short. They pretty much threw this song together and then threw it on the album and radio stations jumped on it because it wasn't the usual 5 or 6 minute Rush length. Lifeson could play this song with his toes (and maybe he does.) Peart is mostly missing except for a quick burst of energy here and there. Lee is more concerned with his synth than his bass. Though that's a problem with most of "Signals". (Well, to me anyway.) "New World Man" did not deserve the radio play it got and it doesn't deserve to be Rush's biggest hit. Blech.

It seems maybe you really like these two songs. If so, then great for you. From your own list, I really like the song, "Nocturne".

Edited by Geddyleegenes

you're weird, earl

Hahaha! How cliche! Been called that my entire life!

Can't help it! I love what I know and I know what I love. Rush is perfect for my ears up to "Counterparts."

I mean, "I Know What I Like." Snorting banana creme pies up my nasty necromancer Neil Peart nodule nose!

Signed,

GENESIS

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

10 worst ...

Faithless

Anagram (for Mongo)

Good News First

You Bet Your Life

Dog Years

Bravest Face

I Think I'm Going Bald

Between the Wheels

Red Tide

Tai Shan

Why Between the Wheels?

I dunno that song just never did anything for me. Always felt it was the weakest on that album. That and Afterimage.

10 worst ...

Faithless

Anagram (for Mongo)

Good News First

You Bet Your Life

Dog Years

Bravest Face

I Think I'm Going Bald

Between the Wheels

Red Tide

Tai Shan

Why Between the Wheels?