Official PGA Tour Thread

Lost In Xanadu

3 hours ago, goose said:

LiV luvin' Phil is +5

He can spend Saturday and Sunday sleeping late on his pile of Saudi cash, lol

+8 Final tally!   Don’t let the beer cart hit ya on the way out…..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Principled Man said:

+8 Final tally!   Don’t let the beer cart hit ya on the way out…..

Phil four-jacked from birdie range on hole 6!  The only slam he'll complete this weekend will be with the trunk of his car on Friday.

Tough conditions out there today are moving a lot of guys backward.  Former co-leader McElroy sank a tremendous putt to salvage a double bogey on hole 4.  Day 2 saw South African Daffue get as low as -6 only to slide back to -1 by day's end.  Two players sitting at -4...

Spent a couple of hours  teaching the kids how to router cabinet doors.  Meanwhile I see Scottie Scheffler was putting on a clinic of his own!  He went low on the front to take the lead at -6!

Rahm almost closes out Saturday as the outright leader at -5, but pulls his drive into a bunker, hits his second into the face of it, and ends up making a double bogey.  

Still better off than Morikawa who started the day as the leader and shot 7-over to slide back to plus +2.

One of my church congregation members is there volunteering. He's native American, and bears a solid resemblance to Notah Begay, which allowed him to walk into the media hospitality tent. He's been posting pics all day.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, edhunter said:

I'm sorry but Will Zalawhatsisface just looks like too much of a puss to win a major. Eat a cheeseburger for crying out loud!

Back to back flubs off the tee are bringing him back to earth after the huge birdie

If the wind gets up a little more, Zalatoris will snap. I can`t believe Fitzpatick is "major ready" yet either. But someone has to win, so does that mean Scheffler? :confused:

I don't know if I've ever seen a more suspenseful golf tournament, with as many swings of fortune as this US Open.

(I'd call it swings in win probability but I know how some people react to analytics, and I guess I'll also have to say Fitzpatrick just wanted it more and gave 100%, nay, 110%, taking it one hole at a time, concentrating on his own game and ignoring outside distractions while being the only person who believed he could win.   Oh, and disrespect.   The disrespect is what drove him.)

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

I don't know if I've ever seen a more suspenseful golf tournament, with as many swings of fortune as this US Open.

(I'd call it swings in win probability but I know how some people react to analytics, and I guess I'll also have to say Fitzpatrick just wanted it more and gave 100%, nay, 110%, taking it one hole at a time, concentrating on his own game and ignoring outside distractions while being the only person who believed he could win.   Oh, and disrespect.   The disrespect is what drove him.)

Yeah... I`m sorry about that last bit. I didn`t think he was good enough.

Seriously, I was watching sans volume; was there some heckling? I thought he`d be a popular winner with having won the Amateur title in 2013 on the same course.

And I feel compelled to add... did it match 1999 Ryder Cup heckling? :old:

27 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

I disagree. His strokes gained off the tee improved from -.4 to +.3 after he started fading his shot. His swing speed has increased from 118 to 120mph, resulting in an increase in driving distance to 298 yards with an accuracy rating of 64.88%. That makes for a total driving value of 148, which ranks 38 on the tour, far above where he was just 2 years ago.

Playing by your gut is for hackers like me. If you want to make money, you need analytics.:cool:

I was hoping for Scheffler, Matsuyama or McIlroy, but this kid seems ok.

Edited by edhunter
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, edhunter said:

I disagree. His strokes gained off the tee improved from -.4 to +.3 after he started fading his shot. His swing speed has increased from 118 to 120mph, resulting in an increase in driving distance to 298 yards with an accuracy rating of 64.88%. That makes for a total driving value of 148, which ranks 38 on the tour, far above where he was just 2 years ago.

Playing by your gut is for hackers like me. If you want to make money, you need analytics.:cool:

I was hoping for Scheffler, Matsuyama or McIlroy, but this kid seems ok.

Meh, none of that matters.   Hell, not even measuring yardage does.   If everyone else does it to, where's the advantage?    154 of 155 players who measure yardage lost.   Clearly, it doesn't work.  Fitzpatrick just wanted it more.  And the other golfers just came out flat.

1 hour ago, IbanezJem said:

Yeah... I`m sorry about that last bit. I didn`t think he was good enough.

Seriously, I was watching sans volume; was there some heckling? I thought he`d be a popular winner with having won the Amateur title in 2013 on the same course.

And I feel compelled to add... did it match 1999 Ryder Cup heckling? :old:

I did not hear any heckling today, even of Patrick Reed or Bryson.

In LPGA action Lexi Thompson has battled back from 7-down to establish a 2-stroke lead. And it could be more if she could get her putter working.  SY Kim has to be frustrated with her game having cooled off so much since Saturday hole 2.

2 hours ago, goose said:

In LPGA action Lexi Thompson has battled back from 7-down to establish a 2-stroke lead. And it could be more if she could get her putter working.  

And it looks like Lexi could have used a few more strokes...

Tied for the lead with Chun at -5, Thompson three-Jacks hole 17 from birdie range. Needs something special on 18 to force a playoff...but blocks her drive into the right gallery.  Looks like another blown major for Lexi

8 minutes ago, goose said:

Thompson needs something special on 18 to force a playoff...but blocks her drive into the right gallery.  Looks like another blown major for Lexi

Hold on!  From the rough Lexi puts her approach to ten feet, while In Gee's approach from position A is hot and runs through the green...

...and Lexi leaves her birdie putt short.  :facepalm:

Chun's chip from the fringe left her a four-footer, which she drains dead center to win her third major

Theegala had a one stroke lead on 18 tee and pulled drive into a bunker with a tough, tough lie.  Rather than punch out and try to save par with an up and down, he  went with an attempt at the hero shot.  His wedge slid right under the ball and Theegala then had to pitch out.  Faced then with up and down for bogey, he lipped out the 15-footer and made 6.  Schauffle now only needed par from the middle of the fairway for the win.  He hit an 86yd lob wedge stiff.

1 hour ago, laughedatbytime said:

Beautiful!

Though I am concerned about the PGA's lost marketability from Koepka's departure.