Official PGA Tour Thread

Lost In Xanadu

I can't really blame Scheffler for not having much of a personality yet.

This brings up an interesting question(s): Why is it important to fans that a pro golfer or any pro athlete have a "personality"?

Scheffler seems to be really good guy, with a strong family behind him and no dramas or controversies. Does that make him "boring" in the eyes of fans and the media?

Up here in Packer Land, we could really use more "boring". We've had enough drama and controversy. :eh:

This brings up an interesting question(s): Why is it important to fans that a pro golfer or any pro athlete have a "personality"?

Scheffler seems to be really good guy, with a strong family behind him and no dramas or controversies. Does that make him "boring" in the eyes of fans and the media?

Up here in Packer Land, we could really use more "boring". We've had enough drama and controversy. :eh:

I have generally defended sportsmen and women who may lack sparkle or even basic intelligence, on the grounds that very few people on the planet are exceptional at more than one discipline.

A solid perspective, based on the number of musicians that think they can act, and vice versa.

And then the super awkward ceremony in the cabin, LOL

What was awkward about it? I had to turn it off and grill dinner by then.

First, you have Scheffler, who is less than dynamic in terms of personality.

When asked "How long have you dreamed of this moment?", his answer was "Friday afternoon". :lol: Then, you have the 2021 champion, Morikawa, whose English is limited. He mostly stared out into space, then seemed confused as to what to do after putting the jacket on Scheffler. It was all very odd.

Matsuyama was the 2021 champion.

They all look the same to me.

Televised sport is entertainment for many, and figures like Arnold Palmer, Lee Trevino, John Daly, Bubba Watson, Tiger Woods, or Bryson DeChambeau are generally more entertaining to watch than their more stoic co-competitors.

Tiger actually didn't have much of a personality either. He was just so dominant he overcame that. He made a few funny commercials, but he was never considered "one of the gang" by his competitors.

Because he wasn't one of them. To say he didn't have a personality, you mean he wasn't jovial? The guy was explosive emotionally, and no one celebrated a shot like him.
  • Like 1

I have generally defended sportsmen and women who may lack sparkle or even basic intelligence, on the grounds that very few people on the planet are exceptional at more than one discipline.

A solid perspective, based on the number of musicians that think they can act, and vice versa.

Does it seem that being able to carry on a conversation requires exceptional skills? Does it require great empathy to realize "I've done something many, many people will be interested it -- maybe I should act interested, too"? Those seem like pretty routine things to me.

Tiger actually didn't have much of a personality either. He was just so dominant he overcame that. He made a few funny commercials, but he was never considered "one of the gang" by his competitors.

Because he wasn't one of them. To say he didn't have a personality, you mean he wasn't jovial? The guy was explosive emotionally, and no one celebrated a shot like him.

Explosive, yes, in the sense that he seemed angry his great golf wasn't somehow better. We'll just have to disagree about this because it's not like there's an objective scale, but I always found watching Tiger play was like rooting for the steam hammer instead of John Henry. World-historical great golfer, no question, but as somebody to watch for the joy of sport?

Does it seem that being able to carry on a conversation requires exceptional skills? Does it require great empathy to realize "I've done something many, many people will be interested it -- maybe I should act interested, too"? Those seem like pretty routine things to me.

Originally, it was an empathy that I tried to lend towards monosyllabic footballers; the current crop are much more aware than the generation I grew up watching. I found it strange that intelligent men were allowed to be unskilled at sports. Also that important, intelligent people were entitled to get blasted and fall out of their trousers, but sportsmen were not given such leeway. As to your broad point, I don`t disagree, but I don`t think I`d be much adored by the press were I supremely talented. I`d have retired at 25 with money, and never be seen again had I been a successful anything. :ph34r:

Explosive, yes, in the sense that he seemed angry his great golf wasn't somehow better. We'll just have to disagree about this because it's not like there's an objective scale, but I always found watching Tiger play was like rooting for the steam hammer instead of John Henry. World-historical great golfer, no question, but as somebody to watch for the joy of sport?

Tiger was one of the most creative golfers in the history of the game. Beyond the power game, his catalog of iconic recovery shots inspired a generation of golfers that followed. His intense singular focus on winning and lack of humility could be off-putting, but it wasn't boring.

I always found Phil Mickleson's boyish charm more annoying.

Breaking News:  Bubba Watson is still alive and playing golf.  

Guess the golfer from the 2022 PGA Championship.

No points for correct answers.

article-62895257b6e45.jpg

Thankfully, Tiger withdrew from the PGA Tournament tonight.   No use exacerbating what was already painful to watch.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

Guess the golfer from the 2022 PGA Championship.

No points for correct answers.

article-62895257b6e45.jpg

Is it Goose?

To be fair to Daly, his swing looked exactly the same as in 1991.

• Like 1

Pereira, with a one stroke lead at -6 going into hole 18 slashes his driver into the creek.  Just ahead, Zalatoris makes birdie to get to -5.  Meanwhile, JT is in the clubhouse at -5.

We'll have a playoff, barring a miracle.

4 minutes ago, goose said:

Pereira, with a one stroke lead at -6 going into hole 18 slashes his driver into the creek.  Just ahead, Zalatoris makes birdie to get to -5.  Meanwhile, JT is in the clubhouse at -5.

We'll have a playoff, barring a miracle.

Miracles are all used up for today, Amazon has a list where Madrigal is rated the 43rd best Rush song, about 15-20 positions behind Tears.

1 minute ago, laughedatbytime said:

Miracles are all used up for today, Amazon has a list where Madrigal is rated the 43rd best Rush song, about 15-20 positions behind Tears.

:wacko:

Pereira isn't even gonna make the playoff

1 minute ago, laughedatbytime said:

Pereira isn't even going to make the playoff.

Geez, we posted exactly the same thing!

• Like 1