Meaningful Quotations

x1yyz

Inspired by the poetry appreciation thread I thought I would start one for quotations. Post quotations here that you like, find inspiring, uplifting, or what-have-you. They can come from literature or public figures.

Here are a bunch that I like, and I think they go a long way towards describing me:

"One who was born by the ocean or has associated with it cannot ever be quite content away from it for very long."

― John Steinbeck

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be."

― Kurt Vonnegut

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion."

— Abraham Lincoln

"Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten."

— Cree Prophecy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."

— Anatole France

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."

— Albert Einstein

"A happy ecosystem is the basis for a happy human being. If it goes wrong, everything goes wrong."

— Sir David Attenborough

"Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right."

— H.L. Mencken

• Like 11

"Drowning has less to do with having lungs and more to do with not having gills."

I originally found this in a discussion explaining why insects can drown, so the context of the quote is very literal, but I find that as a metaphor it can be applied to many things in life.

• Like 8

"Drowning has less to do with having lungs and more to do with not having gills."

I originally found this in a discussion explaining why insects can drown, so the context of the quote is very literal, but I find that as a metaphor it can be applied to many things in life.

+10 for taking a literal quote and presenting it as meaningful !

• Like 2

"I'm alright Jack, keep your hands off my stack" - Roger Waters

"I've had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it" - Groucho Marx

"Shut the f**k up, Donnie" - Walter Sobchack

"Feck!! Drink!!!! GIRLS!!!" - Father Jack Hackett

"I am Sam" - Sam I Am

and the best ever

"As long as there is still sex and drugs I could do without Rock and Roll" - Mick Shrimpton

• Like 3

I can't do everything, but I would do anything for you.

Mark Knopfler

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2

“Never make your home in a place. Make a home for yourself inside your own head. You’ll find what you need to furnish it — memory, friends you can trust, love of learning, and other such things. That way it will go with you wherever you journey.”

— Tad Williams, The Dragonbone Chair

• Like 5

“We tell lies when we are afraid… afraid of what we don’t know, afraid of what others will think, afraid of what will be found out about us. But every time we tell a lie, the thing that we fear grows stronger.”

— Tad Williams, To Green Angel Tower

• Like 3

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

-- Frank Herbert, "Dune"

• Like 4

There are a million song lyrics I could put in this thread. Here's one that just popped into my mind:

These walls that still surround me

Still contain the same old me

Just one more who's searching for

A world that ought to be

-- Rush, "Circumstances"

• Like 2

"A person who only thinks about building walls, wherever they may be, and not building bridges, is not Christian." -- Pope Francis

The Pope just dropped the mic on The Donald. Atta boy Pope.

• Like 3

"A person who only thinks about building walls, wherever they may be, and not building bridges, is not Christian." -- Pope Francis

The Pope just dropped the mic on The Donald. Atta boy Pope.

"Hey Frank! What about the wall surrounding the Vatican? When are you guys tearing that down?"

--Donald Trump

Atta boy Don!

• Like 2