The song I didn't like grows to be one I really like

micgtr71

I loathed Cygnus X-1 Book 1 until R40. It's a badass instrumental but save me from the hysterical vocals.

:o

I loathed Cygnus X-1 Book 1 until R40. It's a badass instrumental but save me from the hysterical vocals.

It was rather tasty. Funny, I loathe most of Book II but adore Book I. Weird

:o :o

I've always loved Loved LOVED both Cygni. I try to listen to them one after the other whenever possible. Two of my very favourite Rush songs.

• Like 3

:o

:o :o

I've always loved Loved LOVED both Cygni. I try to listen to them one after the other whenever possible. Two of my very favourite Rush songs.

Love it when you spell favourite that way.
  • Like 3

yeah, the correct spelling!

Honour the favourite vapour . . . damn little squiggly red lines under each word.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 3

Honour the favourite vapour . . . damn little squiggly red lines under each word.

It bugs me that my copy of Vapor Trails is spelled that way. Do the Canadian/UK copies have the same spelling?

• Like 1

It bugs me that my copy of Vapor Trails is spelled that way. Do the Canadian/UK copies have the same spelling?

Yup. Rush knows where their biggest audience is, I guess.

yes, yes you are ;)

The vocals on that album are worthy of all the critical trolling. Every instance of listening to the line "laughed at by time"...

Now that's a dangerous road to go down with RUSH.

Oh, to live on Tombstone Mountain

With the buggers and the drunken buffoons

Just don't be fifteen on Tombstone Mountain

Or someone there will be leaving far too soon

And leaving there for good...

It's so noisy at the fair

But all your friends are there

And the candy floss you had

And your mother and your dad

Is this sung to the tune of "Sweet Home Alabama"?

I hope Ronnie Van Zant will remember Canadian men don't need him around, anyhow

• Like 2

I did not like Vital Signs at all, as the band's entire transition was hard enough for a 13 year old metalhead to stomach, and Vital Signs epitomized that downward spiral ..

I don't think "grew on me" is the correct term, as it hit me all at once when I bought the Moving Pictures Gold CD and listened to it for the first time in years ... over and over

I love that song now

• Like 2

I did not like Vital Signs at all, as the band's entire transition was hard enough for a 13 year old metalhead to stomach, and Vital Signs epitomized that downward spiral ..

I don't think "grew on me" is the correct term, as it hit me all at once when I bought the Moving Pictures Gold CD and listened to it for the first time in years ... over and over

I love that song now

I used to skip it. Limelight, too.
  • Like 1

I love that song now

How about now Goose - do you like it ?

It is a departure, but does not come across as derivative - it is all Rush - style, vibe and a little dark flavor

Same! "Vapor" looks wrong.

Like when Americans say "erbs" instead of "Herbs".

Wish Them Well... I listened to this yesterday and loved it for the first time.

Were you drunk or high? :laughing guy:

Seemed innocuous enough; they must not make sarcasm detectors like they used to, given the reax to the post.

The period after neither must have passed through the detector as well... That was my attempt. I took it as sarcasm.

Same! "Vapor" looks wrong.

Like when Americans say "erbs" instead of "Herbs".

Japanese copies are the same. Ah well.

Aluminum / Aluminium...etc.

Shouldn't bother anyone. It's all English. It's all correct. And every one of us here understands it.

Back to the main topic...Red Lenses and Kid Gloves for me.

• Like 2

I loved Cygnus Book 1 right away, but Book 2, Hemispheres, that took some time. It was the last album I got on CD because I had a cassette copy and only liked The Trees and La Villa, and had those on Chronicles. But over the years ... about 20 years ... Hemispheres has grown on me. Actually from the Armageddon part onward, I think that is the best bit. It was the first half that took some time.

Funnily the same happened with Circumstances. Never cared for the song. But then I met my wife, hooked her on Rush, and Circumstances was a song she immediately latched onto. So constant exposure and a live version on the SnA DVD turned the tide. Now I like it.

I love that song now

How about now Goose - do you like it ?

It is a departure, but does not come across as derivative - it is all Rush - style, vibe and a little dark flavor

I love it. Subtle playing, interesting syncopation, great tone and fun lyrics. Great bass line.

I think MP will have to make this morning's rotation.

The counter-revolution

At the counter of a store

People buy the things they want

And borrow for a little more

All those wasted years

All those precious, wasted years

Who will pay?

Do we have to be forgiving at last?

What else can we do?

Do we have to say goodbye to the past?

Yes, I guess we do...

• Like 3

This has happend to me on several occasions with several :rush: songs. but most notably Countdown. When Signals 1st came out I would skip over it. When they played it live I was like ugh "man the could've used the time to play something cool" If any of you can remember the Pre-Evening with :rush: format, 90 minutes was not a lot of time. Today I would Kill to get a chance to hear the song live I absolutely love it. Sometimes it will be the only song off Signals I will put in my rotation (my how times have changed ;) ). I really started warming up to it when I lived on the space coast (Cape Caveral/ Cocoa Beach area) :musicnote: on the Florida coastline :musicnote: The radio stations would play it around shuttle lauches. Shuttle launches were specticals all on their own but being able to enjoy the music was an added plus :D . I think today I have the nostalgia angle goin too as this song teleports me back in time (as do most older songs) and the shuttle program is long gone.

I love that song now

I never liked Vital Signs and still don't, but I love the ending very much, the part where Geddy repeatedly sings "Everybody got to elevate (alternately "deviate" or "escalate") from the norm".

It's an ineresting song in terms of the evolution of the band's sound because it is the last track on MP which seems particularly appropriate in retrospect as it definitely seems a harbinger of the direction Rush was headed in (it sounds more like a Signals song than a Moving Pictures song). However it was actually the first song recorded for MP.

I always think of Vital Signs when I read about how Terry Brown and Rush fell out during the production of Signals because Brown didn't like the musical direction Rush was going in because it has all of the elements of Signals that Brown apparently didn't like, yet he apparently produced it enthusiastically early in the production of Moving Pictures.

Interesting.

This has happend to me on several occasions with several :rush: songs. but most notably Countdown. When Signals 1st came out I would skip over it. When they played it live I was like ugh "man the could've used the time to play something cool" If any of you can remember the Pre-Evening with :rush: format, 90 minutes was not a lot of time. Today I would Kill to get a chance to hear the song live I absolutely love it. Sometimes it will be the only song off Signals I will put in my rotation (my how times have changed ;) ). I really started warming up to it when I lived on the space coast (Cape Caveral/ Cocoa Beach area) :musicnote: on the Florida coastline :musicnote: The radio stations would play it around shuttle lauches. Shuttle launches were specticals all on their own but being able to enjoy the music was an added plus :D . I think today I have the nostalgia angle goin too as this song teleports me back in time (as do most older songs) and the shuttle program is long gone.

Yeah, I initially thought Countdown was an utterly forgettable track. Now I think it's actually a pretty good song.