The song I didn't like grows to be one I really like

micgtr71

My first new Rush was Signals and since that album there has been at least one song that I didn't care for on each new record that through the years has become one that I really dig...

Chemistry... I didn't care for this song at all until about ten years ago when I was listening to the vinyl and it jumped out and became the one tune I wished they would pull out if the vault.

Mystic Rhythms... Overplayed on MTV (hard to believe). I rediscovered this on the Counterparts tour.

Tai Shan... I know, shoot me. I like it. Great Bass playing on a stupid song.

Hand Over Fist... Bass is in the pocket.

How it is... I did not like this at first, but it grew.

Wish Them Well... I listened to this yesterday and loved it for the first time.

There were some from earlier on, but I was thinking about these tunes because these were new for me when they were new to the world.

Edited by micgtr71

Were you drunk or high? :laughing guy:

I was neither when I came to fully appreciate that song. I saw them play it live and there's an energy to it that doesn't exist on the studio recording. I was as shocked as anyone how much I enjoyed live because I didn't really care for it before that.

• Like 5

I was neither when I came to fully appreciate that song. I saw them play it live and there's an energy to it that doesn't exist on the studio recording. I was as shocked as anyone how much I enjoyed live because I didn't really care for it before that.

;)

true of many rush songs, and the reason for my comment above!

• Like 1

there are a lot of rush songs i didn't like until i heard them live.

GuP was like that for me. Didn't really dig Red Sector A, nor Distant Early Warning, the first times I heard them. But when I heard the live versions I really liked them more. But that isn't true of all GuP songs; Between the Wheels. I still can't get into that song. I did, however, love The Enemy Within from the first moment I heard it

• Like 1

The Wreckers--just didn't care for the melody of the verses upon first listen.

Dog Years--to me it seemed a bit cheeky. Then the lyrics are so subversive. Now I love it. Used to be the runt of the litter. Now, it's AKC certified and slaying all the dog shows.

• Like 3

Fountain of Lamneth.

Never liked it much in HS. I had Archives on reel-to-reel, so usually listened in sequence. I loved the debut, enjoyed FBN, but side 2 of Lamneth was such a departure from all of that, I just wasn't interested. Fast-forward twenty years...and it's one of my favorite pieces.

• Like 1

The Wreckers--just didn't care for the melody of the verses upon first listen.

Dog Years--to me it seemed a bit cheeky. Then the lyrics are so subversive. Now I love it. Used to be the runt of the litter. Now, it's AKC certified and slaying all the dog shows.

Love the lyrics of Dog Years...really needling. :poke:
  • Like 1

When first listening to new Rush albums, I usually come away unimpressed. Then after repeated listens, they grow on me. Except Hold Your Nose and Pesto...those will never grow on me.

I loathed Cygnus X-1 Book 1 until R40. It's a badass instrumental but save me from the hysterical vocals.

It was rather tasty. Funny, I loathe most of Book II but adore Book I. Weird

yes, yes you are ;)
  • Like 1

I loathed Cygnus X-1 Book 1 until R40. It's a badass instrumental but save me from the hysterical vocals.

yes, yes you are ;)

The vocals on that album are worthy of all the critical trolling. Every instance of listening to the line "laughed at by time" I think Terry Brown should be in a stockade.

What were they thinking?

"We just missed it"

--Terry Brown

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

Many songs on VT

Nocturne

Sweet Miracle

Ghost Rider

Ceiling Unlimited

I used to think that album was down there with the dregs of the catalog, Presto and Snakes...now it's hovering around top 10. Peaceable Kingdom and Freeze still give me a headache though, and it's not my favorite one either.

A week and a half ago, I didn't like Natural Science.

Countdown has definitely grown on me, which solidifies Signals' place as an album I love more than people. Same with Territories: I didn't "get" it at first, but now I think it's probably the best song on Power Windows.

A week and a half ago, I didn't like Natural Science.

Countdown has definitely grown on me, which solidifies Signals' place as an album I love more than people. Same with Territories: I didn't "get" it at first, but now I think it's probably the best song on Power Windows.

I love Signals more than some people, but definitely not all people.

Presto, on the other hand, I love pretty much everyone more than that snooze fest.

yes, yes you are ;)

The vocals on that album are worthy of all the critical trolling. Every instance of listening to the line "laughed at by time"...

Now that's a dangerous road to go down with RUSH.
  • Like 1

Seemed innocuous enough; they must not make sarcasm detectors like they used to, given the reax to the post.

• Like 1

yes, yes you are ;)

The vocals on that album are worthy of all the critical trolling. Every instance of listening to the line "laughed at by time"...

Oh, to live on Tombstone Mountain

With the buggers and the drunken buffoons

Just don't be fifteen on Tombstone Mountain

Or someone there will be leaving far too soon

And leaving there for good...

It's so noisy at the fair

But all your friends are there

And the candy floss you had

And your mother and your dad

• Like 3

yes, yes you are ;)

Oh, to live on Tombstone Mountain

With the buggers and the drunken buffoons

Just don't be fifteen on Tombstone Mountain

Or someone there will be leaving far too soon

And leaving there for good...

It's so noisy at the fair

But all your friends are there

And the candy floss you had

And your mother and your dad

Is this sung to the tune of "Sweet Home Alabama"?
  • Like 3

there are a lot of rush songs i didn't like until i heard them live.

I didn't like anything on Power Windows until I saw the Clockwork Angels tour. Manhattan Project (at least the first part of it) seems like some easy listening song on record; it wasn't until I saw it performed live that I realized how powerful that song is.

• Like 2