Things in Rush songs it took you a long time to notice

toymaker

Great topic

There is something odd happening under the vocals at the beginning of the second verse during In The Mood

It sounds intentional, as in subliminal ... Of course, it could be an unused track bleeding thru or ghosting ... Geddy double tracked his vocals on certain parts of the song, and perhaps this was just a mistake .... But it sounds intentional to me ..

Press you ear to the speaker at about the 55 second point .. It goes by fast .. And it is more noticeable on the left side ( right side if you are facing the speakers )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkLdA6JcIpU

Probably just a bad punch-in.

Yeah - it's like he begins the line two different ways: "I said..." and "Well..."

• Like 1

How about the sound of Neil closing his high hat during the fade out in A Passage To Bangkok?

http://youtu.be/R4rcyspnbVE

Around 3:29

I never really registered the toke before the solo until I saw the classic albums DVD. I think I had heard the sound but didn't make the connection. That Brown dude was a genius.

• Like 1

It took me awhile to really notice how complex and brilliant some of Neil's endings to songs.For example Vital Signs,Grand Designs,Bravado(listen to it, it's tricky,my drummer can't play it!)

Good call on Bravado. Neil nailed that song in one take according to Geddy. Incredible!

• Like 1

In LA Villa during the guitar solo there's parts where it sounds like Neil does a double hit on the high hat. It's actually one hit then a fast open/close.. most imitators play it wrong.
  • Like 1

Not sure if it took me a real long time to notice this but in Circumstances I love what Geddy's fingers are playing right when he sings "empty rooms"

• Like 1

I've mentioned this one before, but I love the three quick little pick slides Lifeson does at about 1:56 in Digital Man, after "science of the day"

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2

ok so this is one of the things I love about listening to RUSH, it may be the same with other bands but it is that I pull different things from the songs

No. It's just Rush :D

• Like 1

I like how Lifeson layers acoustic guitar under some of the heavier bits in tunes like the 2112 overture.

The Camera Eye and Lakeside Park, too.

• Like 2

I like how Lifeson layers acoustic guitar under some of the heavier bits in tunes like the 2112 overture.

Earthshine as well, but you wouldn't have a damn clue if you had only heard the unremixed version.

• Like 2

Earthshine as well, but you wouldn't have a damn clue if you had only heard the unremixed version.

And Here Again.

• Like 2

I remain convinced, as well, that one of the guitar solos in 2112 is actually a distorted acoustic guitar. I think the one in the grand finale.

The softer part after the second chorus in "Open Secrets!", after Geddy says "Let it Go..." with just the lingering synth notes playing...the music between that and when he starts the lyrics again with "I find No Absolution..." has a ton of interesting sounds and music playing...keyboard, piano, possibly an odd guitar riff. I used to isolate that short piece on my CD player with the A/B repeat function (Damn great feature back in the day if you were a Rush fan) and listen to it a lot. Through a good set of headphones I imagine those sounds would be there with even more clarity.

At the end of the second chorus of "Time Stand Still", between "longer" and the start of Neil"s drum roll, there is a little guitar sound that is very unique to my ear. Very short, hard to explain in words. Just one of those odd little noises you hear that because it's Rush you think is probably there on purpose.

The remastered intro to The Camera Eye is a favourite as well, with all the original sounds included. That intro makes so much more sense with all of that included.

At the end of Grand Designs, just before Neil's last little role before the Keys are all that is left, there is a noise that sounds like someone bumped something with a mic. barely there, but it's there. I don't know what it is exactly and it's almost not there, it's so quiet and brief.

Edited by Brava Doh!
  • Like 2

That is one thing about Power Windows and Hold Your Fire, with the elaborate keys there seems to be a ton of little things hidden on those albums, be it by design or just by the layers of sounds masking other sounds. Always a fun listen and I can sometimes still find little things here and there I hadn't heard before (or had forgotten were there) so many years later.
  • Like 2

Also, in the song "Presto", just before Geddy sings "The evening plane rises up from the runway...", there is a weird noise, almost sounds like an old man mumbling a "ruuurrr" sound. :rage:

Again, very brief, but noticeable. It doesn't sound like an instrument to my ear. Maybe an odd bass note?

• Like 1

Also, in the song "Presto", just before Geddy sings "The evening plane rises up from the runway...", there is a weird noise, almost sounds like an old man mumbling a "ruuurrr" sound. :rage:

Again, very brief, but noticeable. It doesn't sound like an instrument to my ear. Maybe an odd bass note?

It sounds like Lifeson "sliding off" a guitar chord.

I have been listening to :rush: as my favorite band for some 36 odd years now. It still seems I find new and undescoverd items akin to easter eggs in all the material I listen too. Some times it is a subtle chord pattern or underlying inuendo, guitar riff, bass line or synth effect. There will be times the lyrical tonality and delivery changes my interpretation from how it was to how it is. Sometimes it is as simple as what mood I am in when listing to a certain song that reflects how I hear and digest the material or what chord it strikes in my soul that relates to what is going on in my life at the time. Their music is like a fine tapistry so keenly crafted, patterns of bright flashes and soft hues layered with richness and depth. This is why :rush: will always be my favorite band.

:Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

Rock On!!

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 5

I have been listening to :rush: as my favorite band for some 36 odd years now. It still seems I find new and undescoverd items akin to easter eggs in all the material I listen too. Some times it is a subtle chord pattern or underlying inuendo, guitar riff, bass line or synth effect. There will be times the lyrical tonality and delivery changes my interpretation from how it was to how it is. Sometimes it is as simple as what mood I am in when listing to a certain song that reflects how I hear and digest the material or what chord it strikes in my soul that relates to what is going on in my life at the time. Their music is like a fine tapistry so keenly crafted, patterns of bright flashes and soft hues layered with richness and depth. This is why :rush: will always be my favorite band.

:Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

Rock On!!

Well said and very very true!

• Like 1