35 years ago today...

Rod in Toronto

Great memories. I was 17 when this came out and had just started work a month earlier. We got paid in cash back then and I can remember buying this on release day, the first album I bought since starting working.

From memory it was $12,99 (New Zealand $). Worth every cent (and more). I can remember thinking back then how well produced this sounded and it got played over and over. Absolutely loved it.

I used To record the albums onto a cassette tape to play in the car. Hemispheres, Waves and Pictures, these three were on constant play back then.

Brilliant stuff.

Hah, you sound like me... I had a box of beat up cassettes that I just got rid of that were all my albums recorded off of vinyl!

I actually think this was one of the first Rush albums that I actually got ON the day it was released....although PW may have been, but this one was a definite!

edit: (not that it matters) Nope...just remembered that a friend told me about PW a few days after it was released...just reminded myself when I saw something his sister just posted on FB, and it sparked a memory! :codger:

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 1

I was 19, waist-deep in pot smoking and beer drinking, flunking out of college, and going nowhere fast.

But Moving Pictures made everything OK. My worship of the High Priests of Rock & Roll was at an all-time high.

Sounds like you were also on an all-time high! :D

• Like 1

Moving Pictures was released. It's still my obvious choice for Rush's most accomplished piece of work - musically and commercially. Are there any thoughts you have on this album - old or new?

I was not aware of this when I donned my MP tee this morning. Extra shibby now!

• Like 3

I was not quite eight years old in February of 1981, and Moving Pictures was the second 'new' Rush album since I had become a fan, courtesy of my older brother...he recorded the LP onto cassette for me, and the way he labeled the tape, just because of his handwriting- for quite awhile, I thought the album was called 'Moving Pictunes'. :P

Very similar.

I was not quite 9 and older brothers had already influenced me prior. I already liked a few songs off Kings, Hemispheres, and Permanent Waves but it was Moving Pictures itself that was the nail in the coffin to my lifelong addiction.

Oh, a similar "Moving Pictunes" anecdote too...

Immediately after becoming a hardcore fan with Moving Pictures, I started listening to everything else from them. I discovered 2112 and misheard then sang it as "Temples of Syreet". One of my bros heard me and ripped me on that for yeeeeeeeeears. Hell, he did it just a few years ago too:

MarkyBlaze: "Hey Johnny, remember when we were kids and I caught you singing 2112? ((now in mock imitation voice)) 'We are the priests of the Temples of Syreet'." ((then he laughs))

Me: "No, asshole. I don't."

But of course I did. And do. :LOL:

:blaze:

• Like 4

I was 27. That ought to make those of you who think you are old realize how young you are.

The first song I remember loving from the album, before Tom Sawyer, was Limelight. Then the FM started playing Tom Sawyer. That's when I bought the album.

• Like 2

I was 19, waist-deep in pot smoking and beer drinking, flunking out of college, and going nowhere fast.

But Moving Pictures made everything OK. My worship of the High Priests of Rock & Roll was at an all-time high.

Yep, pretty much! Getting wasted was my #1 Priority in Life. Alcohol, pot, speed, LSD, ..... :doh:

But I survived that miserable life and escaped with my brains intact. I don't care about what others say. I am SANE!! :LOL: :lol:

• Like 1

When were the songs written? Recorded? When were the albums shrink wrapped? When were they loaded on pallets? When were they shipped to stores?

Those are the dates we need to be concerned about! :)

• Like 1

When were the songs written? Recorded? When were the albums shrink wrapped? When were they loaded on pallets? When were they shipped to stores?

PeW was an 80's album

:P

• Like 2

PeW was an 80's album

:P

:no:

I wouldn't say MP is my favorite album; I have a very difficult time figuring all that stuff out anyways. But I will say listening to Red Barchetta, especially the jam portion of it, can be very emotional. They're just so damn good, and that song is so damn good. There's a little bit of everything in that song: heavy guitar, harmonics, unique bass riffs, righteous fills, great lyrics, wonderful singing, synth, etc. It rocks from beginning to end, without rocking from beginning to end (if that makes any sense). The pacing is perfect. The arrangement is perfect. I'll never, ever get tired of that song.

For whatever reason, I always envision all the previous eras/photos/concerts of Rush during that segment -- accelerating at a very fast pace, too. And the way the song 'decelerates' into the final minute or so is so dang good, too.

*throws away tissues, returns to usual closed-off self*

Cheers.

• Like 1

:LOL:

and yes, PeW was an 80s album!

Moving Pictures was released. It's still my obvious choice for Rush's most accomplished piece of work - musically and commercially. Are there any thoughts you have on this album - old or new?

Agreed, yet for reasons I'm not fully aware I find I don't listen to it much. Last summer in the car for a few days but rarely give it a spin.

I was 15 and I remember when I first heard Tom Sawyer on the radio, as that was my first exposure to it since I didn't have much money to buy music in those days, and it blew me away. My favorite is PeW but it's obvious that MP is Rush at their most perfect. There is something incredibly special about it.
  • Like 5

The first album of the 80's and their best.

• Like 1

One of their best unforgettable albums, for sure!

I remember when I heard Tom Sawyer and Limelight for the first time.

The Camera Eye has simple lyrics with an amazing instrumental composition.

I also love Vital Signs, for the atmosphere and lyrics.

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 3

Yep, pretty much! Getting wasted was my #1 Priority in Life. Alcohol, pot, speed, LSD, ..... :doh:

But I survived that miserable life and escaped with my brains intact. I don't care about what others say. I am SANE!! :LOL: :lol:

My teenage years were somewhat similar. I can't believe how important that crap was to me then. Nowadays I enjoy a beer or glass of wine, but I can't even remember the last time I was drunk (and that's okay!).

• Like 3

I was not quite eight years old in February of 1981, and Moving Pictures was the second 'new' Rush album since I had become a fan, courtesy of my older brother...he recorded the LP onto cassette for me, and the way he labeled the tape, just because of his handwriting- for quite awhile, I thought the album was called 'Moving Pictunes'. :P

Very similar.

I was not quite 9 and older brothers had already influenced me prior. I already liked a few songs off Kings, Hemispheres, and Permanent Waves but it was Moving Pictures itself that was the nail in the coffin to my lifelong addiction.

Immediately after becoming a hardcore fan with Moving Pictures, I started listening to everything else from them. I discovered 2112 and misheard then sang it as "Temples of Syreet". One of my bros heard me and ripped me on that for yeeeeeeeeears. Hell, he did it just a few years ago too:

MarkyBlaze: "Hey Johnny, remember when we were kids and I caught you singing 2112? ((now in mock imitation voice)) 'We are the priests of the Temples of Syreet'." ((then he laughs))

Another jem from the Life of Johnny.

• Like 1

My teenage years were somewhat similar. I can't believe how important that crap was to me then. Nowadays I enjoy a beer or glass of wine, but I can't even remember the last time I was drunk (and that's okay!).

I can (hiccup).

Very similar.

Another jem from the Life of Johnny.

:cheers:

Well it looks like the BS club is doing it again:

https://www.rushbackstage.com/en-zz/rushbackstage/collectibles/rush-moving-pictures-signed-and-framed-limited-edition-photo-set.html?utm_source=rush&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MovingPictures35

Get your pre-orders kids! I won't be, if I did I'm sure my marriage would be ending!

• Like 1

https://www.rushbackstage.com/en-zz/rushbackstage/collectibles/rush-moving-pictures-signed-and-framed-limited-edition-photo-set.html?utm_source=rush&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MovingPictures35

Get your pre-orders kids! I won't be, if I did I'm sure my marriage would be ending!

That price is absurd.

Ah well.

Some will buy it.

That price is absurd.

Ah well.

Some will buy it.

The prices on that kind of stuff at the BSC is always absurd. Definitely not meant for sale to the "common man".

• Like 1