35 years ago today...

Rod in Toronto

Literally had an affect on my entire life
  • Like 5

February 12 is also the birth date of Charles Darwin. Coincidence? I think not!

Sir, many in America might not see that as a compliment

;)

• Like 1

Literally had an affect on my entire life

For me too. It wasn´t the first Rush album I heard, and by the time I got to it, I only hadn´t heard The Camera Eye or Vital Signs - all other songs I´d already seen on live releases. But it did have an effect in my life, it´s probably the album I heard the most from start to finish. And keep in mind I only heard it the first time when I was 24. It quickly surpassed all Maiden albums and anything I´d heard until then.

• Like 1

I love MP. Definitely in my top 5 Rush albums. It reminds my of cruising around in my 1979 Chrysler Córdoba. Today would be a great day to visit LeStudio to celebrate. To bad it's about a 24 hour drive from my house!
  • Like 4

February 12 is also the birth date of Charles Darwin. Coincidence? I think not!

Sir, many in America might not see that as a compliment

;)

Hey, it's Lincoln's birthday too!

All good things!

• Like 1

Right in my top three. Also, the only three I rate 10/10.

Masterpiece. Every song is a classic, and every classic is a major career high with this record.

Side 2 is unforgivably overlooked by many around here. Witch Hunt is perfection, and The Camera Eye is a masterful track.

• Like 4

Such a beautiful album, and it sounds unlike any of their other stuff.

My uncle has a country place

That no one knows about

He says it used to be a farm

Before the Motor Law

:wub:

• Like 1

Side 2 is unforgivably overlooked by many around here. Witch Hunt is perfection, and The Camera Eye is a masterful track.

I love side 2. It gives me more goosebumps than side 1. :)

Witch Hunt really is one of their best. They set such a frightening atmosphere.

• Like 5

I was 19, waist-deep in pot smoking and beer drinking, flunking out of college, and going nowhere fast.

But Moving Pictures made everything OK. My worship of the High Priests of Rock & Roll was at an all-time high.

• Like 2

I was 19, waist-deep in pot smoking and beer drinking, flunking out of college, and going nowhere fast.

But Moving Pictures made everything OK. My worship of the High Priests of Rock & Roll was at an all-time high.

That kinda sounds like me right now.

Yikes.....I'm freaking OLD! I was a senior in high school and the first minute of YYZ was rolling around in my brain all day... IIRC...I think I was playing the rhythm on the drums before concert band practice that morning, (or a morning close to the date it was released) and thoroughly pissing off my band director who was a bit conservative as far as odd time signatures!
  • Like 4

I was not quite eight years old in February of 1981, and Moving Pictures was the second 'new' Rush album since I had become a fan, courtesy of my older brother...he recorded the LP onto cassette for me, and the way he labeled the tape, just because of his handwriting- for quite awhile, I thought the album was called 'Moving Pictunes'. :P
  • Like 5

Such a beautiful album, and it sounds unlike any of their other stuff.

My uncle has a country place

That no one knows about

He says it used to be a farm

Before the Motor Law

:wub:

20,000 people singing that song at Madison Square Garden can't be wrong. It's such an awesome, awesome song.

Sometimes I wouldn't sing it myself..just to listen to the crowd.

Edited by grep
  • Like 4

Great memories. I was 17 when this came out and had just started work a month earlier. We got paid in cash back then and I can remember buying this on release day, the first album I bought since starting working.

From memory it was $12,99 (New Zealand $). Worth every cent (and more). I can remember thinking back then how well produced this sounded and it got played over and over. Absolutely loved it.

I used To record the albums onto a cassette tape to play in the car. Hemispheres, Waves and Pictures, these three were on constant play back then.

Brilliant stuff.

• Like 3

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOVING PICTURES !! :cheers:

It kept me sane at a stressful time in my life. I would hear the beauty that is this album and feel encouraged to hang in there a little longer, that everything would turn out OK. ( It did ! :D )

• Like 5