Rank the KING'S X discography for me please

Ear Candy is now my fav album.

it is so perfect.

Mick

It been a long while since I've listened to some of the earlier-mid albums like Ear Candy...then I'm reminded of the track list. Pretty much every song is a gem in my book. I think it's my #1 now also.

A box is one of the best pop/rock songs ever, IMO.

Mick

Playing it now...oh boy I think Ear Candy is one of those albums that I love a lot more than I ever remember!

Yes this could easily top the first three albums. I think I confuse this one with Tapehead. I found that one unmemorable.

I still plan to collect every album.

Tape Head was a grower for me. It is now one of my favorite ones. I think it was the last great KX album. Everything after it has been patchy. Although Ogre Tones is pretty close to recapturing the glory.

Tape Head is really strong in my view. I'm such a huge fan of Ear Candy and Bulbous...so I feel that things got patchy (good word) Manic Moonlight forward. It probably didn't help them keep focus while putting out a ton of solo/side projects.

Yea the solo projects I never really got too much into, with the exception of Ty - I love Moonflower Lane and Safety.

Moonflower Lane is excellent. I have Ty's "Rock Garden" also. I need to take inventory on what else I have. Early Poundhound stuff....Massive Grooves (awesome), Pineapple Skunk (solid). I have that Ty side project Jelly Jam which I really like. Jerry's solo stuff might be the best of the bunch. They've put out much more. I've only scratched the surface.

Edited by A rocket that ignites itself
  • Like 1

I know I do not have any pics of me with them anymore :-(

My mom threw everything out when I moved out and they downsized. My fault for not wanting to dig through basement...

I was introduced to them from my buddy who went on to be a blue man, and somehow knew Jerry. Saw them at the Cubby Bear in Chicago for the first time, had to have been right around OOTSP.

Man I wish I had those pics.

• Like 1

These are the crappy b/w scans I have ... still haven't found my 2006 color pics of Ty and Jerry yet. Give me time.

Me and Jerry Gaskill and Doug Pinnick, Nov 11, 1998, Atlanta - notice I have my T4E shirt on:

12489354_470380406500460_5910284005450720577_o.jpg

Very cool, Wil. I like the black and white vintage look to those scans. I'm jealous...never got to see these guys live. I've got that same T4E shirt. :ebert:

Was this a tour in support of Tape Head? I'm thinking back to 98...

• Like 1

Yes it was for TH - Galactic Cowboys opened for them. I was excited cause the setlist was basically a greatest hits show: Over My Head, King, Black Flag, Lost in Germany, Dogman, Fade, Looking for Love, Summerland, We Were Born to Be Loved. I was bummed they didn't do It's Love. But Ty was in a weird state of mind. I didn't post it but I have a pic of me with Ty from that night and he looks like he doesn't really want to be there. He was very quiet. I think this was about the time he and Wanda got divorced, so that might have something to do with it. Because when I saw them later he was much more upbeat and personable and friendly. But that night, not so much.
  • Like 1

Yes it was for TH - Galactic Cowboys opened for them. I was excited cause the setlist was basically a greatest hits show: Over My Head, King, Black Flag, Lost in Germany, Dogman, Fade, Looking for Love, Summerland, We Were Born to Be Loved. I was bummed they didn't do It's Love. But Ty was in a weird state of mind. I didn't post it but I have a pic of me with Ty from that night and he looks like he doesn't really want to be there. He was very quiet. I think this was about the time he and Wanda got divorced, so that might have something to do with it. Because when I saw them later he was much more upbeat and personable and friendly. But that night, not so much.

Interesting. I'll have to dig though my old bootleg collection and piece out my King's X stuff. I was heavy into trading back then...I must have some Tape Head shows. You saw them in 2006 also?

Interesting. I'll have to dig though my old bootleg collection and piece out my King's X stuff. I was heavy into trading back then...I must have some Tape Head shows. You saw them in 2006 also?

Yes and in 2003, right after BLS came out. That show was a bit of a bummer, cause while it was great to hear them, they were promoting BLS, and that album is just junk. I think they played about 7 songs from that album. So a good chunk of the show featured material I didn't really care for. But the 2006 show was good cause Ogre Tones had just come out and they were really stoked about that album and played every song from it! Not in order though... they would play a couple of songs, then throw an oldie into the mix. But they played them all. It was cool.

• Like 1

I am now through the first 3 albums.

Ranking so far.

Gretchen

Faith, Love and Hope

Silent Planet

Going to listen to the first again before moving on to 4 and 5. But so far I am digging the band. Good stuff. Nothing ground breaking, but some very melodic, good rock music with great vocals and harmonies.

• Like 2

I am now through the first 3 albums.

Ranking so far.

Gretchen

Faith, Love and Hope

Silent Planet

Going to listen to the first again before moving on to 4 and 5. But so far I am digging the band. Good stuff. Nothing ground breaking, but some very melodic, good rock music with great vocals and harmonies.

The first 6 are the best. Just be prepared for the sudden shift in sound on Dogman after the first four albums. It's jarring.

Edited by Wil1972

Didn't mean to start the thread and leave, but I've been pretty much swimming in the band as I get new CDs each week. Just kind of jumping around rather than go at it chronologically (just wired that way) and will have some actual things to say once I have digested it all -- and it's a bunch to digest -- a bit more. Really like the band and have a better sense of them beyond FHL - my only previous experience. While not every direction or choice may be one I desperately love, I appreciate that they try to stretch things out...and aren't content to make the same record each go 'round. While I KNOW Black Like Sunday and Manic Moonlight have gotten very spotty reviews (some seem to downright hate those records), I'm actually super curious to finally hear what the fuss is about one way or another. Chances are that I'll agree, but I'm eager to see to what degree.

Anyhow it's been a fun little journey so far. Checking back in and reading all of your comments has really added to the experience, so thank you for taking the time to participate in the thread, whatever your opinions on the band or their albums/songs.

• Like 1

Dogman is the best sounding record of the 90s. Perfect production. The album is legendary---- in my own mind

Wow. Not at all close for me.

Dogman is the best sounding record of the 90s. Perfect production. The album is legendary---- in my own mind

It isn't horrible sounding at all. Just a real left turn after 4 slick Sam Taylor-produced discs. Overtime, I am used to it. But at the time, I remember thinking it was way too raw, and with no lead vocals from Ty on the album, it came across as a little ordinary, by KX standards. Now I really like it, albeit with a few exceptions. Black the Sky, Go to Hell, Sunshine Rain and Human Behavior still do nothing for me. And Shoes is meh. But it is still a great album, because the rest of the songs are so strong.

And it was time for them to modernize -- Sam Taylor was producing their albums as if it was still 1988. Dogman sounds like a 90s album. So there is that. I think that is why I like Ear Candy so much. It seemed to balance the raw grunginess of Dogman with the more ethereal Beatle-esque moments of the earlier albums. And Ty is all over Ear Candy. Having Ty singing helps break things up on a KX album. I like that about them. Two completely different styles of singing, but it works.

• Like 2

Gretchen Goes To Nebraska is really good. I am listening to this everyday since I started listening to them in earnest this past week.

Clearly the best for me out of the first 5 albums thus far. They are really hitting everything they want on this particular album and have a clear vision of who they want to be. It continues on the follow up Faith Hope and Love but not as consistent start to finish.

Songs I absolutely love on this one thus far:

Out Of The Silent Planet

Over My Head

Summerland

Everybody Knows A Little Something

Mission

The Burning Down

• Like 3

Gretchen Goes To Nebraska is really good. I am listening to this everyday since I started listening to them in earnest this past week.

Clearly the best for me out of the first 5 albums thus far. They are really hitting everything they want on this particular album and have a clear vision of who they want to be. It continues on the follow up Faith Hope and Love but not as consistent start to finish.

Out Of The Silent Planet

Over My Head

Summerland

Mission

The Burning Down

That is the album most folks consider their best. I put it at #2 on my list, but I just like Ear Candy so much. But Gretchen is a good one for sure.

It isn't horrible sounding at all. Just a real left turn after 4 slick Sam Taylor-produced discs. Overtime, I am used to it. But at the time, I remember thinking it was way too raw, and with no lead vocals from Ty on the album, it came across as a little ordinary, by KX standards. Now I really like it, albeit with a few exceptions. Black the Sky, Go to Hell, Sunshine Rain and Human Behavior still do nothing for me. And Shoes is meh. But it is still a great album, because the rest of the songs are so strong.

And it was time for them to modernize -- Sam Taylor was producing their albums as if it was still 1988. Dogman sounds like a 90s album. So there is that. I think that is why I like Ear Candy so much. It seemed to balance the raw grunginess of Dogman with the more ethereal Beatle-esque moments of the earlier albums. And Ty is all over Ear Candy. Having Ty singing helps break things up on a KX album. I like that about them. Two completely different styles of singing, but it works.

:goodone:

Sums up how I feel...you explained it better than I would. I think the lack of Ty vocals and that balance is the main drawback on Dogman for sure. Well, the songs don't really stick with me either. I still really like Cigarettes though, and the title track.

• Like 1

Out Of The Silent Planet

Over My Head

Summerland

Mission

The Burning Down

Pleiades?? ;) It will grow on you.

• Like 1

Gretchen's about number 5 for me. it's good but don't think it's as good as people say. bit of a sophomore slump for me.

Mick

What is it specifically? Curious, I know for myself, songs like Pleiades, Summerland, Over My Head and Mission are amongst my favorite tracks. There are a few I tend to skip - Send a Message and Fall on Me - but overall I find it to be topnotch.

• Like 1

Sums up how I feel...you explained it better than I would. I think the lack of Ty vocals and that balance is the main drawback on Dogman for sure. Well, the songs don't really stick with me either. I still really like Cigarettes though, and the title track.

It's funny that Ty didn't sing lead on any of the tracks because he wrote about half the album. Have you heard his demos? it's pretty cool and somewhat hysterical to hear him singing stuff like Complain and Dogman after hearing Doug belt those out for all these years. Check this out:

https://www.facebook.com/TyTaborFanPage/videos/39319833257/

Gretchen's about number 5 for me. it's good but don't think it's as good as people say. bit of a sophomore slump for me.

Mick

What is it specifically? Curious, I know for myself, songs like Pleiades, Summerland, Over My Head and Mission are amongst my favorite tracks. There are a few I tend to skip - Send a Message and Fall on Me - but overall I find it to be topnotch.

like i said it's not bad by any means. but i can never remember a note on it, lol

nothing sticks when it's over.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

like i said it's not bad by any means. but i can never remember a note on it, lol

nothing sticks when it's over.

Mick

Hm never heard that reaction to that album. :-)

• Like 2

The title track is just a killer song, no doubt.

Gretchen is easily one of my very top shelf favourite albums. It sits alongside all those records and bands you see my rant about in a hyperbolic fashion. Same goes for Silent Planet and FHL.

BUT I would possibly rank it third, which kind of reflects Mick's view that I personally don't rank it as high as most fans (who on this forum and elsewhere always seem tonrank it at number one).

• Like 2

Update:

I now have listened to the first 4 albums.

Gretchen is their best so far I love every track save for Don't Believe It (filler IMO). Everything else is top notch.

Ranking the albums thus far (still need to digest self titled more but I really dig it)

Gretchen Goes To Nebraska

Out Of The Silent Planet

Kings X

Faith Hope Love

• Like 2