Rush Are Done Touring According To Geddy Lee

Tony R

How do you get Neil on board with a new album? How does that conversation go? Is it just a case of saying to him: “Get your arse down here!”?

It’s more diplomatic than that. I’d say: “How do you feel about writing? Would you like to write something?” That simple.

So what would it take to get the three of you in the studio together?

I think it would just take a couple of phone calls, really. Forget all this nonsense about touring, I need to write some songs. [Pauses] I’m going to do it anyway. Alex and I have already talked about it. The only thing we haven’t talked about is whether Neil’s going to come along for that ride.

Have you had that conversation with him separately? Have you broached the subject of a new Rush album?

No.

But you’re saying that you and Alex could do an album together, not as Rush?

Yeah.

Are you considering it?

It’s an option.

And what would it sound like?

[Laughs] Probably like Rush without Neil.

Does it feel like you’re in limbo at the moment?

No, I don’t think ‘limbo’ is the right way to describe it. I can’t speak for them – in fact, I’m certainly not speaking for them, just for me – but I found the end of the tour to be a very sad time. I was melancholy for quite a while because I felt it was… truncated. I’m not saying that my partners weren’t justified in their decision – I’m not criticising their decision in any way. I’m just describing my feeling. And I wasn’t ready to end the tour. And the thought that it might have been our last one really hit me pretty hard. So it took me a while to get past that point. And I am past that point, and now I’m trying to think about what the future might bring for me. I’m trying to be more optimistic about it. And I have gotten drunk with Al a couple of times, and Al is… well, he’s Al. If I call him, he’s there.

You say you’re trying to be optimistic. Is it easy or hard to be optimistic right now?

[Laughs] It’s my nature, so it’s easy.

So do we talk about Rush in the past tense or the present tense?

The present tense. Very much in the present tense. Y

Since they only profit from tours and not albums, what's the point of just doing an album that doesn't make money? Oh yeah, creative expression...well that doesn't go far these days. Then if they make the album it will be non stop hounding about touring. R40 was a nice clean break and I'm fine with that.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet

How do you get Neil on board with a new album? How does that conversation go? Is it just a case of saying to him: “Get your arse down here!”?

It’s more diplomatic than that. I’d say: “How do you feel about writing? Would you like to write something?” That simple.

So what would it take to get the three of you in the studio together?

I think it would just take a couple of phone calls, really. Forget all this nonsense about touring, I need to write some songs. [Pauses] I’m going to do it anyway. Alex and I have already talked about it. The only thing we haven’t talked about is whether Neil’s going to come along for that ride.

Have you had that conversation with him separately? Have you broached the subject of a new Rush album?

No.

But you’re saying that you and Alex could do an album together, not as Rush?

Yeah.

Are you considering it?

It’s an option.

And what would it sound like?

[Laughs] Probably like Rush without Neil.

Does it feel like you’re in limbo at the moment?

No, I don’t think ‘limbo’ is the right way to describe it. I can’t speak for them – in fact, I’m certainly not speaking for them, just for me – but I found the end of the tour to be a very sad time. I was melancholy for quite a while because I felt it was… truncated. I’m not saying that my partners weren’t justified in their decision – I’m not criticising their decision in any way. I’m just describing my feeling. And I wasn’t ready to end the tour. And the thought that it might have been our last one really hit me pretty hard. So it took me a while to get past that point. And I am past that point, and now I’m trying to think about what the future might bring for me. I’m trying to be more optimistic about it. And I have gotten drunk with Al a couple of times, and Al is… well, he’s Al. If I call him, he’s there.

You say you’re trying to be optimistic. Is it easy or hard to be optimistic right now?

[Laughs] It’s my nature, so it’s easy.

So do we talk about Rush in the past tense or the present tense?

The present tense. Very much in the present tense. Y

Since they only profit from tours and not albums, what's the point of just doing an album that doesn't make money? Oh yeah, creative expression...well that doesn't go far these days. Then if they make the album it will be non stop hounding about touring. R40 was a nice clean break and I'm fine with that.

Pretty sure Ray Daniels is the only one worried about bank accounts....

Somehow, after 40+ years, I am confident that Geddy, Alex, and Neil have more than enough coin to retire securely. Given what I shelled out for R40, I am certain of it. I probably fronted a semester of Olivia's college experience!

• Like 3

This is a spoof.

That's not Geddy.

It's Geddy Lee and he's saying politely "f**k Neil!"

I can't see Geddy admitting this in an interview:

but I found the end of the tour to be a very sad time. I was melancholy for quite a while because I felt it was… truncated. I’m not saying that my partners weren’t justified in their decision – I’m not criticising their decision in any way. I’m just describing my feeling. And I wasn’t ready to end the tour. And the thought that it might have been our last one really hit me pretty hard.

It's not that I wouldn't believe it because I've watched Working Man from LA countless times and he does look affected and emotional. His throat looked really tight, but I wasn't sure if that was from singing or because he was choked up.

It's just that he sounds vulnerable in this interview, and I can remember only one other thing I read Geddy say in the eighties that showed any vulnerability. He's always seemed contained and in control in any interview I've watched or read.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

We've all had this conversation before...but my biggest complaint was that they didn't do their usual, and add some "dates in the Spring" and just do another leg of a tour.

I had an attitude of; "ok, they have this leg...they'll break for the fall and holidaze, then come out in February or March, and do another X-amount of dates, then have one big blow out in Cleveland or Pittsburgh" (since that's where they had the first one)

You knew it had to end at some point...it's not easy music to play night after night like a lot of bands that are still out there...and they aren't the "back up band" type where they can just go out, go through the motions, but the 10 other guys and gals on stage are the ones playing MOST of the music...it's three guys, and that's it!

But I really thought that after they did one part of a tour, they'd be back in the swing of things and be able to go out and do another (which it now sounds like Alex is on board with that)

But if they put out another album, and DON'T tour, that's at least something, I guess. (and the fact they can find a studio near where NP lives so he can put Olivia on the school bus every day is probably the plan)

This is a spoof.

That's not Geddy.

but I found the end of the tour to be a very sad time. I was melancholy for quite a while because I felt it was… truncated. I’m not saying that my partners weren’t justified in their decision – I’m not criticising their decision in any way. I’m just describing my feeling. And I wasn’t ready to end the tour. And the thought that it might have been our last one really hit me pretty hard.

It's not that I wouldn't believe it because I've watched Working Man from LA countless times and he does look affected and emotional. His throat looked really tight, but I wasn't sure if that was from singing or because he was choked up.

It just that he sounds vulnerable in this interview, and I can remember only one other thing I read Geddy say in the eighties that showed any vulnerability. He's always seemed contained and in control in any interview I've watched or read.

If that second quote is indeed from Ged, it is very real and very human. Assuming it is legit, I get his point of view, but I also think it is important to note that he clearly is not leveling blame at anyone in that quote.

It reminds me of a time in my first career when I had to make a very difficult and public decision. It was not easy and it was, frankly, a very difficult time in my life. One young woman involved in the situation later came up to me and said, "I get it. I don't like it. But, I get it."

I find it curious that most Rush fans get it, but don't like it, and move on, but some just don't get it.

• Like 1

This is a spoof.

That's not Geddy.

It's just that he sounds vulnerable in this interview, and I can remember only one other thing I read Geddy say in the eighties that showed any vulnerability. He's always seemed contained and in control in any interview I've watched or read.

How very British.

In some of the interviews you did earlier this year, before the tour, it seemed like you were in denial that this would be the end of the road for Rush. Is that fair to say?

[Laughs] I don’t think I was in denial, because I can’t say that this is the end of the road for Rush. But it’s certainly the end of the touring life for Rush, unless Neil has a change of heart. It’s really all down to him, to be honest. If he wants to go back on the road, Alex and I will be there.

It’s funny you say that, because Alex seemed pretty certain before the R40 tour that he was done with life in a touring band as well.

I think at the beginning of the tour, Alex wasn’t sure how his health would hold up, but by the end of it he had proven to himself that he could pull it off. And so I think he sort of regrets intimating that his body wouldn’t be able to handle it.

Um...Yeah, Ged you were in denial and so was much of the fan base. The big machine tours are over.

Lorraine, I need to know what thing he said in the eighties is.