Geddy interview in latest issue of Prog magazine

Hemispheres4Echo

Without exaggeration, that took over thirty minutes and two tries to get to read something that sounded to me like a compilation of Geddy quotes from other interviews.

“... And the kind of music that we make is complicated and can be quite jarring in terms of the time changes and aggressive nature of it. So it’s not easily digestible and you have to have a willingness to invest some time and energy into trying to understand it, and if you don’t have that then you’re not going to dig it.”

I don't know what he's talking about understanding Rush music to be able to "dig it" (that makes me laugh - how sixties :LOL: ).

• Like 1

Without exaggeration, that took over thirty minutes and two tries to get to read something that sounded to me like a compilation of Geddy quotes from other interviews.

“... And the kind of music that we make is complicated and can be quite jarring in terms of the time changes and aggressive nature of it. So it’s not easily digestible and you have to have a willingness to invest some time and energy into trying to understand it, and if you don’t have that then you’re not going to dig it.”

I don't know what he's talking about understanding Rush music to be able to "dig it" (that makes me laugh - how sixties :LOL: ).

well if the interviewer asks the same question that tons of interviewers have before, Ged will probably just give the same autopilot answer. I admire his patience for doing this. I would have lost it (along with Neil) a long time ago. Funny to read that Al broke him in on weed. Such a bad influence that Al.

• Like 1

well if the interviewer asks the same question that tons of interviewers have before, Ged will probably just give the same autopilot answer. I admire his patience for doing this. I would have lost it (along with Neil) a long time ago. Funny to read that Al broke him in on weed. Such a bad influence that Al.

Me too, but Geddy is a gracious man.

• Like 2

Sooo....Geddy....why don't you tell us how the band started. :facepalm:

Sooo....Geddy....why don't you tell us how the band started. :facepalm:

If you, or anyone here that truly loves the band, were to interview him, you wouldn't ask the same old stuff.

If this interview is in fact an interview and not a compilation of quotes from past interviews, then it tells me that the person who did the interview was just doing their job and not a fan of Rush at all. To me, that's a waste of an interview. In my opinion. :)

• Like 1

I wish someone would ask them more questions about the creative process that was in place during the 2112 through Moving Pictures era. Alex and Geddy would probably give a lot of "I don't know the specifics about that particular song" or "it's just a riff that we found on a tape from one of our jams". I think many of us presume that there was some divine intervention involved or that all the planets aligned, but I'd bet we'd be surprised how many of their classic musical ideas started as "happy little accidents". It would certainly be interesting to find out for sure though.
  • Like 2

Yeah this interview really just sounds like a compilation of like 15 other interviews done over the past year. I wish they'd dare ask him about the creative processes in some of the songs, as Relayer suggested. I think Moving Pictures has already been over-analyzed but I'd like more comments about synth era because the tl;dr so far from the members is "blunder years, geddy liked the synths, so cute" and that's unfortunate.

Or ask Geddy about his personal life beyond wine, baseball, etc. Like about his travels. That'd be fun too.

• Like 1

"I'm so over this shit!"

--Neil Peart

http://files.teamrock.com/images/696d616765-569e3222478609.32322388/1280x892.jpg

That was very funny.

Think of a good caption for Alex - the pout on his face is precious.

"Nothing but stems and seeds, man...Stems and seeds."

• Like 4

Interesting that he talks in the -past tense- about being an internent musician.

I think he's moreso talking about the crazy tour schedules they used to have back in the day when he says that he used to be an "itinerant musician". It got too much and they had to do less shows. Or he might just be saying that the touring's done forever. *shrugs*

"I'm so over this shit!"

--Neil Peart

http://files.teamrock.com/images/696d616765-569e3222478609.32322388/1280x892.jpg

That was very funny.

"I can't wait until we can afford a guitar tech that I can yell at and fire."

• Like 2

"I'm so over this shit!"

--Neil Peart

That was very funny.

"This isn't exactly the life I envisioned when I dreamed of being the next Jimmy Page."

• Like 4

"I'm so over this shit!"

--Neil Peart

That was very funny.

"This isn't exactly the life I envisioned when I dreamed of being the next Jimmy Page."

"No one quite realizes how fuckkng funny I am. Yet".

• Like 4

"I'm so over this shit!"

--Neil Peart

That was very funny.

Neil looks like he was really thinking: "How did I ever wind up with these two guys??"

• Like 3

"I'm so over this shit!"

--Neil Peart

That was very funny.

Neil looks like he was really thinking: "How did I ever wind up with these two guys??"

New guy rides the bitch seat.

• Like 4

"I'm so over this shit!"

--Neil Peart

That was very funny.

New guy rides the bitch seat.

Every time Neil farts we pull these handles and it activates a vacuum system...thank god!

• Like 5

I wish someone would ask them more questions about the creative process that was in place during the 2112 through Moving Pictures era. Alex and Geddy would probably give a lot of "I don't know the specifics about that particular song" or "it's just a riff that we found on a tape from one of our jams". I think many of us presume that there was some divine intervention involved or that all the planets aligned, but I'd bet we'd be surprised how many of their classic musical ideas started as "happy little accidents". It would certainly be interesting to find out for sure though.

Here's a quickie on The Trees from Neil:

"Lyrically that's a piece of doggerel. I certainly wouldn't be proud of the writing skill of that. What I would be proud of is taking a pure idea and creating an image for it. I was very proud of what I achieved in that sense although on the skill side it's zero.

I wrote "The Trees" in about five minutes. It's simple rhyming and phrasing, but it illustrates a point so quickly. i wish I could do that all of the time. It was just a flash. I was working on an entirely different thing when I saw a cartoon of these trees carrying on like fools. I thought 'What if trees acted like people?'

So I saw it as a cartoon really and wrote it that way. I think that's the image that it conjures up to a listener or a reader. A very simple statement --- Modern Drummer 1980.

Period interviews are a lot more interesting at times. Less water under the bridge.

• Like 2