Neil Peart update! Bubba Gram #4

robertrobyn

In context, he was pointing what everybody was thinking, or jokes about....it`s a stereotypical jab.

I understand what you are saying, however, in this case, Neil encountered an individual person, and used Mine as a springboard for the comment ... He was not referencing an entire group of people, or, a cartoon character, he was pointing out a fault ( in his opinion ) of one individual ..

And that is what bothers me, esp coming from Neil - the guy who has been a voice for individuality for decades

Mine was apparently traveling all alone, as Neil did years ago after the loss of his wife and daughter - let's just put ourselves in another country now, on a bicycle, and after an encounter with a stranger, we find out that he is a famous musician - a legend - and that he has written this in his blog ....

I just think it was unnecessary, and I am disappointed in Neil

Interesting how people can read the same sentence on the interwebs and draw varying conclusions (even my own post after a few hours :D)

For the record I think Neil was taking a jab at boorish Americans (to which he previously alluded)

• Like 1

In context, he was pointing what everybody was thinking, or jokes about....it`s a stereotypical jab.

I understand what you are saying, however, in this case, Neil encountered an individual person, and used Mine as a springboard for the comment ... He was not referencing an entire group of people, or, a cartoon character, he was pointing out a fault ( in his opinion ) of one individual ..

And that is what bothers me, esp coming from Neil - the guy who has been a voice for individuality for decades

Mine was apparently traveling all alone, as Neil did years ago after the loss of his wife and daughter - let's just put ourselves in another country now, on a bicycle, and after an encounter with a stranger, we find out that he is a famous musician - a legend - and that he has written this in his blog ....

I just think it was unnecessary, and I am disappointed in Neil

Interesting how people can read the same sentence on the interwebs and draw varying conclusions (even my own post after a few hours :D)

For the record I think Neil was taking a jab at boorish Americans (to which he previously alluded)

yep, it's certainly true that neil is an equal opportunity elitist who thinks he's better than pretty much everyone.

• Like 2

You can label me a fanboipeart. I don't give a shit! I experienced a Neil blow off in person! As I was disappointed I was blessed with my memory anyway.

I totally get Neil. I used to think he was an egotistical prick but man no way.

His interviews are so genuine. He is a nerd like most of us. He is an introvert. He is witty, intellectual and he hates flattery and compliments.

Neil is labeled the greatest drummer of all time and even he doesn't think that is true and I agree with him.

Why do you think Neil loves Buddy and Moon so much?

His peers.

Neil could never match his own mentors or influences.

Did you Neil Haters ever see Neil perform at the Buddy Rich Memorial Concerts? He stunk it up! Go watch Neil do "Cottontail." Horrible choke job.

Why did you think he seeked out Freddie?

Jesus Christ.

I really don't give a fuckk what people think. Believe me I used to care a lot. Perhaps being on here for almost ten years and getting divorced has hmmmm opened up my mind to a wider reality.

I love what I know and I know what I love.

I don't give a shit that Neil blew me off. I knew he would. a given.

I am blessed man.

I love Neil.

He is my mentor. He is my influence.

I played my drums to HYF and GUP tonight. I breezed through the records.

I am playing more and I am getting better every day thanks to Neil.

This is my deal this is my happiness.

Everyone had the right to believe what they want to believe.

Why do you think it makes me so mad to see Neil in the shape he is in.

That son of gun used to bicycle from Sacramento to Oakland during tours.

He was in amazing shape.

What the fuckk happened?

Oh well.

Life goes on..............

Roll The Bones......

Not gonna lie.... if I remember your interaction with him, you were outside his tour bus? That might have creeped anyone out. knowwhatimean? I am certain you did not mean to be that guy, but I get why he thought you may have been that guy. You meant no disrespect at all, but he did not know that.

I have had two chance encounters with Neil. Oddly, they were truly by chance. In both situations, he eventually realized, yes, I knew who he was, but, no, I was not going to freak out, take a picture, ask for an autograph, or treat him as a celebrity. Granted, neither of those encounters were "in the sphere" in that they occurred while he was traveling and not in a situation (on a tour bus, etc.) where he would expect some sort of potentially crazy fan near him.

The first encounter was more just in passing. Passing conversation was exchanged and it was pleasant. The second was actually more in depth and we talked about a lot of things other than Rush. The second encounter was quite pleasant.

Now, here's the thing, I once held a fairly high profile, public position. While it is on a much smaller scale, I have dealt with the reality of people coming up and talking to you about work while you are out to eat with your family. I have dealt with people intruding on some of the more basic moments of your life (shopping for groceries, filling up at the gas station, taking a piss at a baseball game - seriously..... just trying to take a piss, man), I have dealt with the uneasy reality of people interacting with you in a way that they think they know you as a person (because they know who you are and your title - but not who you are as a person), but you have no idea who they are, let alone their intention. I have dealt with people, in a very public way, talking about you and your work on TV or the internet (sometimes good, sometimes bad). I have dealt with people who somehow think they own you because "they pay your salary". Most people mean well, but not all of them. I am not joking in that I have received the occasional threat on not only my safety, but my family's. Celebrity, on any scale, sucks. Even those who seek it, I am convinced, eventually realize all that glitters is not gold.

And when your default setting is introvert, that is even more challenging.

The whole "Neil is a dick" thing cracks me up. Neil is human. All humans are dicks at some point.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 2

just to point out for our north american friends who dont know, the gif above ^^^ is from the great british comedy "I'm Alan partridge" (season 2) which just happens to be as good a brit comedy as it gets, on a par with fawlty towers even

No issues with Neil`s " Ingrish' comment

This thread clearly shows that not "everybody" thinks or jokes that way. "In context" Peart tried to be funny and pointed out (in a less than positive manner IMHO) the guy's lack of English ability.

I think it may be a white privilege thing. There are some people who have no problem with "Ingrish", but they are white and do not understand the insult. And I'm guessing Peart didn't say it as an insult, again because he didn't understand. But, people, when someone of Asian descent tells you something is insulting to them then you need to understand that it is a insult, regardless of what you think.

White privilege. Crock of shit. Neil being a dick and making fun of a Japanese mans pronunciation has nothing to do with white. It just means one man's named Neil is insensitive. Is he privileged? Yes, he's rich. Is he rich because he's white? No. I can't belie this bullshit has now infiltrated this forum.

• Like 4

This thread clearly shows that not "everybody" thinks or jokes that way. "In context" Peart tried to be funny and pointed out (in a less than positive manner IMHO) the guy's lack of English ability.

I think it may be a white privilege thing. There are some people who have no problem with "Ingrish", but they are white and do not understand the insult. And I'm guessing Peart didn't say it as an insult, again because he didn't understand. But, people, when someone of Asian descent tells you something is insulting to them then you need to understand that it is a insult, regardless of what you think.

White privilege. Crock of shit. Neil being a dick and making fun of a Japanese mans pronunciation has nothing to do with white. It just means one man's named Neil is insensitive. Is he privileged? Yes, he's rich. Is he rich because he's white? No. I can't belie this bullshit has now infiltrated this forum.

Regardless of who I agree with, I can understand both you and x1's opinions. Honestly, I probably agree with both of you to a certain degree.

One thing I really found annoying in this thread was the earlier comment that went something like "It's true. That's how their English sounds." Yeah, next time I speak with one of my Japanese students I'll be sure to mention their "Ingrish" because "it's true". True? It's a dick way of thinking. That's true.

• Like 2

Regardless of who I agree with, I can understand both you and x1's opinions. Honestly, I probably agree with both of you to a certain degree.

One thing I really found annoying in this thread was the earlier comment that went something like "It's true. That's how their English sounds." Yeah, next time I speak with one of my Japanese students I'll be sure to mention their "Ingrish" because "it's true". True? It's a dick way of thinking. That's true.

I don't think what Neil wrote was funny and when Neil can speak clear Japanese with the accent of a native speaker then he can sit back and explain how easy it is. My issue is with blaming it on something called white privilege. He's an asshole because he's an asshole.

• Like 2

I don't think what Neil wrote was funny and when Neil can speak clear Japanese with the accent of a native speaker then he can sit back and explain how easy it is. My issue is with blaming it on something called white privilege. He's an asshole because he's an asshole.

I hear you.

Not going to disagree here

Yeah Neil smoked a turd sandwich (however that's done?) on this one.....heck I'd like to hear his Spanish after 3 months let alone Japanese....
  • Like 2

You can label me a fanboipeart. I don't give a shit! I experienced a Neil blow off in person! As I was disappointed I was blessed with my memory anyway.

His interviews are so genuine. He is a nerd like most of us. He is an introvert. He is witty, intellectual and he hates flattery and compliments.

Neil is labeled the greatest drummer of all time and even he doesn't think that is true and I agree with him.

His peers.

Did you Neil Haters ever see Neil perform at the Buddy Rich Memorial Concerts? He stunk it up! Go watch Neil do "Cottontail." Horrible choke job.

Jesus Christ.

I really don't give a fuckk what people think. Believe me I used to care a lot. Perhaps being on here for almost ten years and getting divorced has hmmmm opened up my mind to a wider reality.

I am blessed man.

I love Neil.

He was in amazing shape.

What the fuckk happened?

Oh well.

Roll The Bones......

Not gonna lie.... if I remember your interaction with him, you were outside his tour bus? That might have creeped anyone out. knowwhatimean? I am certain you did not mean to be that guy, but I get why he thought you may have been that guy. You meant no disrespect at all, but he did not know that.

I have had two chance encounters with Neil. Oddly, they were truly by chance. In both situations, he eventually realized, yes, I knew who he was, but, no, I was not going to freak out, take a picture, ask for an autograph, or treat him as a celebrity. Granted, neither of those encounters were "in the sphere" in that they occurred while he was traveling and not in a situation (on a tour bus, etc.) where he would expect some sort of potentially crazy fan near him.

The first encounter was more just in passing. Passing conversation was exchanged and it was pleasant. The second was actually more in depth and we talked about a lot of things other than Rush. The second encounter was quite pleasant.

Now, here's the thing, I once held a fairly high profile, public position. While it is on a much smaller scale, I have dealt with the reality of people coming up and talking to you about work while you are out to eat with your family. I have dealt with people intruding on some of the more basic moments of your life (shopping for groceries, filling up at the gas station, taking a piss at a baseball game - seriously..... just trying to take a piss, man), I have dealt with the uneasy reality of people interacting with you in a way that they think they know you as a person (because they know who you are and your title - but not who you are as a person), but you have no idea who they are, let alone their intention. I have dealt with people, in a very public way, talking about you and your work on TV or the internet (sometimes good, sometimes bad). I have dealt with people who somehow think they own you because "they pay your salary". Most people mean well, but not all of them. I am not joking in that I have received the occasional threat on not only my safety, but my family's. Celebrity, on any scale, sucks. Even those who seek it, I am convinced, eventually realize all that glitters is not gold.

The whole "Neil is a dick" thing cracks me up. Neil is human. All humans are dicks at some point.

I want your autograph.

Seriously, don`t make me come looking for you in a restroom....

:P

http://blog-imgs-80.fc2.com/m/i/n/mineichi/P7271444.jpg

http://images.onset.freedom.com/ocregister/kvw5nn-b78591053z.120100107111740000gdilp2a9.1.jpg

PeeWee's put on about 50 lbs.

Damn, does this mean he was in my neck of the woods and I missed him?

You know one time I could have sworn I saw his bike go down the street past me while I was walking(not many times I see 2 BMW bikes in my parts), it was right after I saw a show and I shook my head and said no way...well I should have walked one more block because he mentions eating at a restaurant down the street in one of his books...oy...so close, yet so far.

Edited by hcm
  • Like 1

His peers.

Jesus Christ.

I am blessed man.

I love Neil.

He was in amazing shape.

What the fuckk happened?

Oh well.

Roll The Bones......

I want your autograph.

Seriously, don`t make me come looking for you in a restroom....

:P

LOL. What makes it worse is that it wasn't for an autograph. It was to talk to me about some things related to the job.

http://blog-imgs-80.fc2.com/m/i/n/mineichi/P7271444.jpg

http://douchebag.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/0807/douchebag-demotivational-douchebag-douche-demotivational-poster-1217462628.jpg

You know one time I could have sworn I saw his bike go down the street past me while I was walking(not many times I see 2 BMW bikes in my parts), it was right after I saw a show and I shook my head and said no way...well I should have walked one more block because he mentions eating at a restaurant down the street in one of his books...oy...so close, yet so far.

That's unfortunate. You could've walked up to him while he was in mid-bite and exclaimed, "Hey Neil! I'm a huge fan of yours! Please autograph my upper thigh right under my Starman tattoo!" Neil loves that kind of stuff. ;)

• Like 1

His peers.

Jesus Christ.

I am blessed man.

I love Neil.

He was in amazing shape.

What the fuckk happened?

Oh well.

Roll The Bones......

Filthy Cards fan deserves to be bothered! :nya nya:

That's unfortunate. You could've walked up to him while he was in mid-bite and exclaimed, "Hey Neil! I'm a huge fan of yours! Please autograph my upper thigh right under my Starman tattoo!" Neil loves that kind of stuff. ;)

Neil's favorite song by David Bowie and Mott the Hoople is "All The Young Dudes."