Neil Peart update! Bubba Gram #4

robertrobyn

Very fascinating discussion and interesting that Neil has been the springboard for something other than "is it the end/not end of touring". English as a Second Language teachers usually tell their students to get a library card, so when I worked at the town library we were keeping track of different countries and languages, planning to translate our orientation materials. We had drastic budget cuts and so were not able to do it, but were impressed at the number of different backgrounds, languages and cultures represented in our small town.
  • Like 2

I find it odd that everyone is so focused on Neil saying something about a Japanese accent (an actual, true observation) as if it's simply because he's racist or boorish or whatever. No one brought up that his buddy Michael botched his Japanese, and Mine (the Japanese hero of our story) laughed at the mistake and pointed out that Michael actually said a "dirty" Japanese word. People call Neil all sorts of things here, but the one conspicuously missing that should be ridiculously obvious is that his personality is extremely obsessive-compulsive. He's extremely perfectionistic and meticulous about many things, and especially language (being a writer and lyricist and all), so of course he's gonna point out any struggle anyone has with any language--he's always putting little phonetic pronunciation hints in parentheses whenever he's writing about travel, and often it's the name of a place, and he makes an effort to learn how the locals pronounce it, rather than everyone else. He's a stickler for that crap. But of course he's a gigantic prick who retired without telling anyone, so that means the comment was racist. As if no one ever giggled at someone's horrible pronunciation (whatever the reason may be), or blatant Freudian slip. Did he mock Mine, or try to make him feel bad for having an accent? I seriously doubt it. I'm pretty sure if Mine felt slighted, he wouldn't have asked for a photo with them before departing. It seemed to me that they had a very pleasant little encounter, and Neil tried to give some helpful info for Mine's ride East. Gee what an asshole.
  • Like 3

...and while I'm doing my best to kill another thread, the ongoing "his reaction to fans or those who might be fans is disgusting, etc. etc. ad nauseum," is weak. More than one rockstar has been killed by a deranged fan, and many famous people have been accosted, had their homes broken into, been threatened, or otherwise made extremely nervous and uncomfortable by "fans," and that's not even considering whether they are usually outgoing and accessible or painfully shy and uncomfortable around strangers in general (which we should all know by now that Neil absolutely is, and to a very high degree). Neil's rare comfort with strangers is almost always based on either some shared interest and/or his anonymity to them. The sort of irate reaction everyone has when he doesn't adore his fans the way they feel they deserve to be adored is exactly what drives the most insane fan behavior, and even the less insane fans can impose on their heroes without any respect for privacy or boundaries. I'm sure that's why the overwhelming majority of very famous people make every effort to protect their privacy and hire bodyguards and separate themselves from the public as much as humanly possible. Most people have no problem with that, but for some reason, "true fans," have a huge problem with it, and that is why most famous people are very cautious with "true fans." They often have an unhealthy and unrealistic idea of their relationship with their heroes, and how important they are, just because they are excessively fascinated and buy everything the person sells. The truth is that people are paying for recordings or concert tickets, and that's all. Stars can appreciate their collective fan base without owing them anything else, including pretending not to be put off by someone barging into their table at a restaurant when they're trying to eat, or making them pose for pictures when they're trying to get normal tasks done. Heck, some ordinary folk can't stand having their picture taken for any reason whatsoever at any time, and will never allow it willingly, or will cover their face, or make some horrible face or look away any time someone tries. Yeah, we all know one of those people, and yeah it's annoying, but most of us don't hate the person for it or dump them as a friend for it. Teasing maybe, but that's about all. Ok? Rant over.
  • Like 4

HalfwayToGone,

What'd you think of the Rosie O'Donnell vid that Lucas posted? Chinese people may actually sound like that (to HER anyway) but that doesn't mean her saying/doing that wasn't in bad taste.

I'm an American living in Japan teaching English as a second language. My parents are from the Philippines and I grew up in north Florida in the 70s and 80s. So yeah, you could say I've heard my fair share of not so complimentary comments regarding whatever countries' accents. That comment from Peart was....not so complimentary. I think it's odd that it wouldn't cause you to at least briefly raise an eyebrow.

As I said on the first page, I think of all the things Peart could've commented on, he picked the ONE thing that HE saw negative in that traveler: an accent/lack of English proficiency?! He thought that guy shouldn't have any problems with English "despite having studied at a school for 3 months"?! What kind of presumptuous shit is that?!

Oh, and not "everyone is so focused on Neil saying something about a Japanese accent".

Actually, there are only a few of us doing so...with just ONE person even mentioning racism. Many here simply said they liked the article.

P.S. Regarding Mosbach & that "dirty word"...Clint Eastwood's character's name in For A Few Dollars More sounds like an extremely dirty word in Japanese. Since it's possible you may neither know the character's name nor the meaning in Japanese, there's no point in commenting on this. This is where I am regarding that Mosbach "dirty word" situation.

• Like 1

Writing the way someone apparently spoke is in no way racist. Where was he mocking? Where was he being disparaging? Lest we forget, he bought the guy dinner and a room - at least $100, and all in the name of... empathy.

What I believe he was trying to get at by putting it in parentheses was to demonstrate the language barrier and paint a picture of a heavy Asian accent. He's traveled a lot in Asia. Most of us have not.

Context.

• Like 2

I find it odd that everyone is so focused on Neil saying something about a Japanese accent (an actual, true observation) as if it's simply because he's racist or boorish or whatever. No one brought up that his buddy Michael botched his Japanese, and Mine (the Japanese hero of our story) laughed at the mistake and pointed out that Michael actually said a "dirty" Japanese word. People call Neil all sorts of things here, but the one conspicuously missing that should be ridiculously obvious is that his personality is extremely obsessive-compulsive. He's extremely perfectionistic and meticulous about many things, and especially language (being a writer and lyricist and all), so of course he's gonna point out any struggle anyone has with any language--he's always putting little phonetic pronunciation hints in parentheses whenever he's writing about travel, and often it's the name of a place, and he makes an effort to learn how the locals pronounce it, rather than everyone else. He's a stickler for that crap. But of course he's a gigantic prick who retired without telling anyone, so that means the comment was racist. As if no one ever giggled at someone's horrible pronunciation (whatever the reason may be), or blatant Freudian slip. Did he mock Mine, or try to make him feel bad for having an accent? I seriously doubt it. I'm pretty sure if Mine felt slighted, he wouldn't have asked for a photo with them before departing. It seemed to me that they had a very pleasant little encounter, and Neil tried to give some helpful info for Mine's ride East. Gee what an asshole.

Blah, blah, blah.

i doubt any of us here (well I hope none of us here) think Cornelius owes us anything personally. Look at Ged & Al...they're more than happy to just shake a hand and say "you're welcome" to fans of people who even mildly enjoy the music...it's not that big a deal. If Cornelius can't handle the public eye or at least be civil to folks who appreciate his music then he should have stayed behind the tractor supply store counter. He wants it both ways...you can't have it both ways. He's a sixty something year old man...learn how to deal with your "shyness" already and accept the fact that you're famous whether you like it or not. He's no one to blame for that but himself.

I guarantee you that if Mine had said he was a big Rush fan Cornelius would have hid behind Michael and had him deal with the situation and ran away. Guaranteed. His interactions with people are on his terms only.

Ingrish or 'broken English'...who cares it's all the same. I'm sure the same upset people would be bitching about Neil if he didn't buy the guy a room and dinner. It's not like he said "thank god the Asian was on a bike because you know those people can't drive a car. But he probably could kick my azz at math." Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 2

i love neil apologists, they're so much fun!

now there's a thoughtless response..

"Neil apologists" are there to explain things to the selfish children usually about a misunderstood personalty type. it has nothing to do with fanboyism.

Neil is the way he is BECAUSE he is a genuinely thoughtful introverted person.

• Like 2

Ingrish or 'broken English'...who cares it's all the same. I'm sure the same upset people would be bitching about Neil if he didn't buy the guy a room and dinner.

There's no rationale for your second sentence.

As for your first sentence, it's not the same to all people. "Who cares"? Some do.

Writing the way someone apparently spoke is in no way racist. Where was he mocking? Where was he being disparaging? Lest we forget, he bought the guy dinner and a room - at least $100, and all in the name of... empathy.

What I believe he was trying to get at by putting it in parentheses was to demonstrate the language barrier and paint a picture of a heavy Asian accent. He's traveled a lot in Asia. Most of us have not.

Context.

I probably was not clear when I used the word "mocking", as I did not mean to imply that was what Neil was doing ... I wrote it simply to paint the picture, as in - if someone were to mock or ridicule my future wife because of her English, I would be pissed ..

I did not mean that Neil was "mocking" in his blog

If you care to go back ( ... and I completely understand if you don't ), I have repeatedly professed my admiration and respect for Neil, and while we have all come to know how Neil prefers a certain personal distance, his choice of words in this case was the first time I have really taken exception to something he has done or said ..

Anybody who has access to the net can write whatever they want, and if Neil wants to point out that a friendly traveler "struggled" with his English after 3 whole months, that up to him ..

Taken in context along with things like:

I smiled and posed for him, and now I hope Mine posts that photo on his social media and someone recognizes me

As long as being recognized fits your comfort zone, right Neil ?? .. This is really pompus

That was evident one time when Mine giggled at something Michael said

Giggled ??

IMHO, Neil stepped over the elitist line in this blog

Edited by Lucas

You can label me a fanboipeart. I don't give a shit! I experienced a Neil blow off in person! As I was disappointed I was blessed with my memory anyway.

I totally get Neil. I used to think he was an egotistical prick but man no way.

His interviews are so genuine. He is a nerd like most of us. He is an introvert. He is witty, intellectual and he hates flattery and compliments.

Neil is labeled the greatest drummer of all time and even he doesn't think that is true and I agree with him.

Why do you think Neil loves Buddy and Moon so much?

His peers.

Neil could never match his own mentors or influences.

Did you Neil Haters ever see Neil perform at the Buddy Rich Memorial Concerts? He stunk it up! Go watch Neil do "Cottontail." Horrible choke job.

Why did you think he seeked out Freddie?

Jesus Christ.

I really don't give a fuckk what people think. Believe me I used to care a lot. Perhaps being on here for almost ten years and getting divorced has hmmmm opened up my mind to a wider reality.

I love what I know and I know what I love.

I don't give a shit that Neil blew me off. I knew he would. a given.

I am blessed man.

I love Neil.

He is my mentor. He is my influence.

I played my drums to HYF and GUP tonight. I breezed through the records.

I am playing more and I am getting better every day thanks to Neil.

This is my deal this is my happiness.

Everyone had the right to believe what they want to believe.

Why do you think it makes me so mad to see Neil in the shape he is in.

That son of gun used to bicycle from Sacramento to Oakland during tours.

He was in amazing shape.

What the fuckk happened?

Oh well.

Life goes on..............

Roll The Bones......

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

wheneveri think of neil I think of him in that interview from the PeW era, that one where Alex sits mostly silent and puts on the green monster mask at the end (great interview by the way)

I just think Neil is cool as f*ck in that

• Like 1

Taken in context along with things like:

I smiled and posed for him, and now I hope Mine posts that photo on his social media and someone recognizes me

As long as being recognized fits your comfort zone, right Neil ?? .. This is really pompus

I think you're missing the point about that sentence which might have been clearer if you had quoted all of it!

Nevertheless, as a big Neil fan with all his faults and idiosyncrancies, my heart sank when I read the offending line and clearly understand the response caused by it.

I'm sure there was no malice behind it but he might be better to re-read stuff before pressing the publish button.

Edited by ChrisUK
  • Like 2

No issues with Neil`s " Ingrish' comment

In context, he was pointing what everybody was thinking, or jokes about....it`s a stereotypical jab.

This thread clearly shows that not "everybody" thinks or jokes that way. "In context" Peart tried to be funny and pointed out (in a less than positive manner IMHO) the guy's lack of English ability.

I feel like Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction trying to explain to Jules that a foot massage does NOT mean nothing.

http://images.fandango.com/MDCsite/images/featured/201110/pulp-fiction-bd-screenshot-travolta-jackson.jpg

• Like 3

No issues with Neil`s " Ingrish' comment

In context, he was pointing what everybody was thinking, or jokes about....it`s a stereotypical jab.

This thread clearly shows that not "everybody" thinks or jokes that way. "In context" Peart tried to be funny and pointed out (in a less than positive manner IMHO) the guy's lack of English ability.

I think it may be a white privilege thing. There are some people who have no problem with "Ingrish", but they are white and do not understand the insult. And I'm guessing Peart didn't say it as an insult, again because he didn't understand. But, people, when someone of Asian descent tells you something is insulting to them then you need to understand that it is a insult, regardless of what you think.

• Like 4

Regarding Neil's comment about hoping the photo makes the web:

I think he's come full circle, and in some way might see it as closure. He can relax - no more tours, no more pressure. He's retired now and might feel he can reflect on the last 40 years with a wink and a drink.

• Like 2

I understand what you are saying, however, in this case, Neil encountered an individual person, and used Mine as a springboard for the comment ... He was not referencing an entire group of people, or, a cartoon character, he was pointing out a fault ( in his opinion ) of one individual ..

And that is what bothers me, esp coming from Neil - the guy who has been a voice for individuality for decades

Mine was apparently traveling all alone, as Neil did years ago after the loss of his wife and daughter - let's just put ourselves in another country now, on a bicycle, and after an encounter with a stranger, we find out that he is a famous musician - a legend - and that he has written this in his blog ....

I just think it was unnecessary, and I am disappointed in Neil

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2