Neil Peart update! Bubba Gram #4

robertrobyn

Everything that is most excellent, wonderful and irritating about Peart's writing and indeed about Peart himself all wrapped up in a short essay. What beautiful writing about having a day off in the southwest and being able to relax at the end of the day, watching trains go by. I do honestly love to read his writing about places I have been. How wonderful of him to be kind to a fellow motorcyclist and welcome him as a friend, but what is the point of saying the traveler pronounces "English" as "Engrish?" It's not amusing, it's dated and insensitive. And now that Peart has finally met someone who truly doesn't know who he is, he suddenly wants the person to find out, to make the encounter "sweeter". :facepalm: Nice writing, but I don't quite get it.

However, just my opinion, and I should probably give more leeway to someone who is, from all that we know, winding up a major part of their life and figuring out what the next part will be like. I think I need a Snickers!

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 11

Great little story, thanks for posting Rob. :cheers:

The Macallan, out of a plastic cup, and on ice?

No glass, no class Neil. :smoke:

Ah, Nagoya. Just a couple of hours from me by train. Or an hour by Shinkansen/bullet train. Don't see how Mosbach, who apparently spent a few years in Japan and traveling Asia, confused the Nagoya flag (which looks like a red, slightly wavy capital "A" without the middle horizontal bar) with the Korean flag:

http://www.ata-k4k.com/old_page/images/South-Korean-flag.jpg

Also, I have to question Peart's questioning of that dude's English saying that he struggled even though he had "studied at a school for 3 months". "Studying English" in Japan for 3 months could easily mean a mere 6 lessons...but more than likely means JUST 12 lessons. How do I know? It's my job. One hour lessons once a week is fairly common. Sure, I'm nitpicking the article. But hey, of all the things Peart could've written about, he wrote [albeit just a mention] about some traveler's "Ingrish" (as Peart directly states) instead of some intrepid J-guy bicycling solo through the southwest with little to no English whatsoever. Meh. I think he could've found something more interesting to write. Ah well, I'm not a big fan of reading about sage and rocks anyway. I didn't expect any Rush news but I was expecting...I don't know...something.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 4

http://mineichi.blog...ntry-25.html?sp

Scrolling down on the page you'll find the photos of Michael and Neil.

Cool to see the other biker's view of this. Thanks! I love his photos!

deleted

Edited by That One Guy

Rather enjoyed that one. Especially love the fact the pic of Neil did indeed make it onto the internet.

What I think is more important than Neil spending what is, on his income, a novel amount of money for a stranger, was the fact he took the time to spend time with and get to know that stranger. Kind of throws a wrench into the whole "Neil is a d*ck" routine, yes? Maybe, just maybe, he is indeed human.

• Like 5

Neil needs to drop all this ironic Bubba crap. Neil is trying offset his snob image by associating himself with butt chasing prison laundry boys.

Seriously. His idolatry of Brutus grew false after a while. I know, I know; I'm not privy to his friendship - and Lord knows I have some sketchy friends, too. Still. Sometimes I wonder if Brutus is simply another persona of Neil.

I just think it was nice of him to buy the man a room.

I think it was too, I just didn't quite get why he was hoping the traveler would find out who he was. Rereading this again tonight, maybe Neil is going to become more relaxed as the touring winds down and/or finishes? I dunno.

Edited by blueschica

I just think it was nice of him to buy the man a room.

I think it was too, I just didn't quite get why he was hoping the traveler would find out who he was. Rereading this again tonight, maybe Neil is going to become more relaxed as the touring winds down and/or finishes? I dunno.

I took Neil to mean that if the guy found out who he was, he might be pleasantly surprised that "Hey, I met a famous rock star!" And maybe even, "Neil's not the dick that everyone makes him out to be", especially since he follows that up with saying if the guy finds out finds out, it would be "a little sweeter twist if someday Mine knows the background to the story of our encounter.."

• Like 2