Has Geddy's delivery of a lyric moved you?

Lorraine

Soliloquy always gets me - especially some of the live versions - "Just think of what my life might be, in a world like I have seen / I don't think I can carry on, carry on this cold and empty life" etc.

Also, not so much about being "moved," perhaps, but I still think it's cool that he plays the different "roles" in Presentation - the supplicant hero and the angry, annoyed, superior Priests - just with his voice.

Soliloquy is totally the best one (and honestly all of 2112, which is much of the reason Hemispheres falls a bit flat for me in comparison), but like with most great singers, Geddy almost always gives the lyrics an incredible power to move me. He serves them as well as they can possibly be served, almost every time, and when he doesn't I would blame that on Neil writing things that Ged had a harder time getting behind (I honestly doubt Ged was thrilled to sing Dog Years). I know it's cliche, but take CTTH for example (well, from back when Ged could still do it justice). Reading those lyrics is much like reading poetry, but your average singer/songwriter would probably have trouble bringing out the emotional weight those lyrics carry, yet Ged portrayed those images perfectly, with a melody that I still struggle to sing right (it's really not that easy in my opinion). That's a great singer right there, and he always did everything he could to have that effect on Neil's lyrics, even after Neil stopped writing with a consistent, intellectual-poetic quality level.

Some other great ones:

-Marathon chorus, especially the time machine version interestingly enough.

-No One At The Bridge, 'nuff said

-Available Light chorus

-Freewill, you know the section

-Cygnus X-1 Book I, part three, highest note, excites/scares the snot out of me every time

-The entirety of Tom Sawyer, Ged makes every line perfection

-DEW, "red alert, red alert" and the other parts like it, plus the chorus, which I really relate to sometimes do to an unstable friend of mine.

-Red Sector A, the whole song, Ged really brings out the apocalyptic, dystopian sheer terror in those words

-The Garden, once again the whole song is about equally moving, thanks in no small part to the great teamwork between Ged and Neil on the vocals/lyrics

Oh my goodness, I list sooo many more, but I have to stop here. Geddy Lee is one of my favorite singers of all time, and Neil Peart is my favorite lyricist ever, that combo is incredible when they're both at the top of their game.

• Like 4

Pretty much all of The Pass. That song hits so close to home and the emotion in his voice makes me emotional.
  • Like 3

You can do a lot in a lifetime

If you don't burn out too fast

You can make the most of the distance

First you need endurance

First you've got to last

Marathon is just one of those songs that has a simple, uplifting message, and Geddy really conveys a feeling of hopefulness in the bridge. You can get through anything…don't give up.

Edited by Disk98
  • Like 4

The first one that came to my mind when I saw the subject is from Mission:

If their lives were exotic and strange

They would likely have gladly exchanged them

For something a little more plain

Maybe something a little more sane

We each pay a fabulous price

For our visions of paradise

But a spirit with a vision

Is a dream with a mission...

Chills! And I sometimes shed a tear at that.

• Like 4

-The entirety of Tom Sawyer, Ged makes every line perfection

The line that Geddy sings in that song that gets me every time I listen to it is: He gets right on to the friction of the day.

The way he brings down a note or two the last word "day."

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Soliloquy, Permanent Waves tour, Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis, 1980:

"My lifeblood . . . ooooh spills oooooooooooooooooovveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer" He just hangs on the word. Friggin' awesome. Then he plays some blistering bass in Grand Finale.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

Toymaker, did you ever listen to that bootleg A Single Sphere that I mentioned the other day? I know it's the same as A Dessert Passage, but I really do think it sounds better. A lot more clear.

I don't have a copy of it, no.

Toymaker, did you ever listen to that bootleg A Single Sphere that I mentioned the other day? I know it's the same as A Dessert Passage, but I really do think it sounds better. A lot more clear.

Is it on Youtube?

Is it on Youtube?

I haven't found it there. I found something called "A Single Perfect Sphere" but I think it's someone's Rush playlist. It's got newer stuff.

• Like 1

Is it on Youtube?

I haven't found it there. I found something called "A Single Perfect Sphere" but I think it's someone's Rush playlist. It's got newer stuff.

I think I ought to retire. I'm pretty useless.

That's it - A Single Perfect Sphere. At least listen to Hemispheres and La Villa. Geddy's bass at the beginning of Hemispheres comes through really clear. I heard things I never heard before.

Soliloquy, Permanent Waves tour, Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis, 1980:

"My lifeblood . . . ooooh spills oooooooooooooooooovveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer" He just hangs on the word. Friggin' awesome. Then he plays some blistering bass in Grand Finale.

Oh. Wow. Kiel Auditorium, may it rest in peace. Lots of great Rush boots recorded in my hometown of St. Louis. I was not a fan during some of the more famous ones and only saw them live beginning ca 1984, but Kiel and the old Arena (aka The Checkerdome), may it also rest in peace, hold some great musical memories for me.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 2

Is it on Youtube?

I think I ought to retire. I'm pretty useless.

That's it - A Single Perfect Sphere. At least listen to Hemispheres and La Villa. Geddy's bass at the beginning of Hemispheres comes through really clear. I heard things I never heard before.

Must be a coincidence - this one is just a playlist of 16 songs, and the only Hemispheres video has music from the studio album.

I want to look at life...In the available light

Geddy should've delivered that song back to Neil IMO

• Like 1