Has Geddy's delivery of a lyric moved you?

Lorraine

I have to steel myself to listen to The Garden so I don't fall apart. I rarely listen to the song for that reason.

But, that's another one.

It's a measure of a life.... (I think that's what he's singing, hard for me to tell)

And the last time Geddy sings in the fullness of time, a garden to nurture and protect kills me.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 6

What about this...

Spinning, whirling

Still descending

Like a spiral sea

Unending...

Sound and fury

Drown my heart

Every nerve

Is torn apaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrt...

• Like 3

I have to steel myself to listen to The Garden so I don't fall apart. I rarely listen to the song for that reason.

But, that's another one.

It's a measure of a life.... (I think that's what he's singing, hard for me to tell)

And the last time Geddy sings in the fullness of time, a garden to nurture and protect kills me.

I do think that is one of the most touching songs, and it is because of the way he delivers it.

• Like 3

Lots of examples I could mention....

But one that always gets me is his delivery in "Mission", particularly

It's cold comfort

To the ones without it

To know how they struggled

How they suffered about it

If their lives were exotic and strange

They would likely have gladly exchanged them

For something a little more plain

Maybe something a little more sane

We each pay a fabulous price

For our visions of paradise

But a spirit with a vision is a dream

With a mission

The first of those two verses really gets me.... every time. For my money, some of Ged's best vocal work was on HYF, the same for Neil's lyrics.

Totally

But, that's another one.

Ah, yes, The Garden.... the great divider of TRF. I love it, likely for the same reasons you do.

The first time I heard it and really listened to it, I knew Neil was coming to the end of his time in the band.... and I understood why.

Most of us here who are long in the tooth relate to that song. And while I know it was Neil's words, I think both Alex and Geddy could equally relate to that song given their station in life.

But, yeah, that song, and Geddy's interpretation, speak to me. As I grow older I realize my legacy, if I have one, is not in material possessions or experiences, but it whatever good I put into the world for others.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 3

In thinking about this, there is no one else that could come close to singing these songs with the conviction, sincerity, and in the unique register as Geddy ..

He is not whiny, he's not pretentious, he's not preachy

He is like no other musician ever

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 7

But, that's another one.

Ah, yes, The Garden.... the great divider of TRF. I love it, likely for the same reasons you do.

The first time I heard it and really listened to it, I knew Neil was coming to the end of his time in the band.... and I understood why.

Most of us here who are long in the tooth relate to that song. And while I know it was Neil's words, I think both Alex and Geddy could equally relate to that song given their station in life.

But, yeah, that song, and Geddy's interpretation, speak to me. As I grow older I realize my legacy, if I have one, is not in material possessions or experiences, but it whatever good I put into the world for others.

It's a dramatic song sung in a dramatic way. If CA is the last album Rush ever does, The Garden is the perfect song to end their career as a band. Alex's guitar adds to the poignancy of that song. Without it, the song wouldn't be quite as effective.

• Like 5

In thinking about this, there is no one else that could come close to singing these songs with the conviction, sincerity, and in the unique register as Geddy ..

I'm starting to think Rush belongs in a class apart from the other bands because they really aren't like any other band.

• Like 3

But, that's another one.

It's a dramatic song sung in a dramatic way. If CA is the last album Rush ever does, The Garden is the perfect song to end their career as a band. Alex's guitar adds to the poignancy of that song. Without it, the song wouldn't be quite as effective.

Agreed. It's the perfect end to the canon, if it is indeed the final studio work.

And, agreed, Alex' solo is the perfect end to that song. I think I read it was nearly not in the song. That would have been a travesty.

But, that's another one.

Agreed. It's the perfect end to the canon, if it is indeed the final studio work.

And, agreed, Alex' solo is the perfect end to that song. I think I read it was nearly not in the song. That would have been a travesty.

Those chords he plays over and over at the end of the song are the best.

I'm starting to think Rush belongs in a class apart from the other bands because they really aren't like any other band.

You're just starting to think that now? I've thought that since I first started listening to them. The band is their own genre, on their own plateau. Both musically and lyrically there is no one else like them.

Great idea for a thread. It's nice to see a fresh topic come up instead of retreads of the same topics every few months.

• Like 2

You're just starting to think that now? I've thought that since I first started listening to them. The band is their own genre, on their own plateau. Both musically and lyrically there is no one else like them.

Great idea for a thread. It's nice to see a fresh topic come up instead of retreads of the same topics every few months.

Yes, well, I'm slow.

I'll be honest and tell you why I decided that. When I listen to Rush, I think they are the best band. When I listen to other bands famous at the same time as Rush during their height, I wonder how they ever made it (compared to the other bands). I finally decided it wasn't fair to line them up with other bands because they really aren't like them.

• Like 2