Has Geddy's delivery of a lyric moved you?

Lorraine

Lots of examples I could mention....

But one that always gets me is his delivery in "Mission", particularly

It's cold comfort

To the ones without it

To know how they struggled

How they suffered about it

If their lives were exotic and strange

They would likely have gladly exchanged them

For something a little more plain

Maybe something a little more sane

We each pay a fabulous price

For our visions of paradise

But a spirit with a vision is a dream

With a mission

The first of those two verses really gets me.... every time. For my money, some of Ged's best vocal work was on HYF, the same for Neil's lyrics.

yes, HYF has some of their best composition and lyrics. It gets pooed on for being in the dreaded synth era, but it's fabulously powerful stuff.
  • Like 1

No. Rush does not make me emotional, they just give me that kick ass "adrenaline surge"

Also this just popped in my as moving also ( no pun intended)

You move me -

You move me -

With your buildings and your eyes

Autumn woods and winter skies

You move me -

You move me -

Open sea and city lights

Busy streets and dizzy heights

You call me -

You call me -

This for sure

I would have to say the entire song "Losing It" is my favorite lyrical presentation. The song consistently ranks in my top 10 because of it.

The dancer slows her frantic pace in pain and desperation

Her aching limbs and downcast face aglow with perspiration

Stiff as wire her lungs on fire with just the briefest pace

Flooding through her memory the echoes of old applause

The writer stares with glassy eyes defies the empty page

His beard is white his face is lined and streaked with tears of rage

Thirty years ago how the words would flow with passion and precision

But now his mind is dark and dulled by sickness and indecision

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies

But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be

Sadder still to watch it die than never to have known it

For you the blind who once could see

The bell tolls for thee

The bell tolls for thee

The song speaks to how many artists, whether authors, dancers, musicians, etc., will continue their art to a time that they find they cannot do it as well as they once could. The last stanza explains how perhaps it would be better to never know a talent than to watch that talent fade over the years. Personally, I believe that this song explains Neil's reluctance to continue his professional music career. He knows that his body will not be able to produce the sounds that he wants to produce, so he is retiring before he has to watch his drumming die.

Rush In Rio is special in many ways. The performance of Resists is one of them. I love the way Alex and Geddy look at each other at the end. When he finishes the song, it looks as if he (Geddy) has tears in his eyes, but it just be the lighting on him.
  • Like 1

It's kind of difficult to be moved by much of Neil's lyrics because of the subject matter he writes about on a lot of Rush stuff.

I would say I love the Geddy delivers The Anarchist, Nobody's Hero, and Ghost of a Chance

I also love Ged's delivery of The Spirit of Radio on Exit Stage Left. He changes it up quite a bit from the studio version to Exit Stage left and I think it's a huge improvement

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone

Geddy was always trying something new and different on stage. He seemed to come alive and take on a different persona when he hit the stage. Like I said yesterday, the man was born to be a performer. He's more than a musician.
  • Like 1

Geddy was always trying something new and different on stage. He seemed to come alive and take on a different persona when he hit the stage. Like I said yesterday, the man was born to be a performer. He's more than a musician.

It's funny you say that. They've always struck me as a band that doesn't really have any kind of persona. Geddy was never good at "stage rapping" and connecting with the audience between songs.

It's funny you say that. They've always struck me as a band that doesn't really have any kind of persona. Geddy was never good at "stage rapping" and connecting with the audience between songs.

That's not what I meant.

Geddy would have been at home in a Broadway musical, and he probably could have made a name for himself in the movies. That's what I mean by being a "performer."

Edited by Lorraine

That's not what I meant.

Geddy would have been at home in a Broadway musical, and he probably could have made a name for himself in the movies. That's what I mean by being a "performer."

Like a clown? ;)

He always seems to me to be in his own world up there, but he's always having fun. He's the only live wire left in the bunch.

I think he's the only one that's not in constant pain. He's got some good genes.

I kind of agree they do not connect with the audience between songs, but I think they do their connecting during the songs