My world has been rocked :(

ILSnwdog

Sorry to hear about this, Jim. Dogs are unpredictable, like all animals. I hope things work out between the dogs, and that you don't have to make any of those really tough decisions.

My remaining dog is still an emotional wreck after losing his lifelong companion. I guess we're going to try a canine version of Prozac. It's cheap, and may help end the whining and howling that goes on when we're not at home.

• Like 2

Animals are just that. Many time "attacks" make no sense to us. There is so much to a dog's behavior that we generally don't understand. Sven maybe warned Payton in the past with body language that you never picked up on and this one time, Payton didn't "submit" to Sven's warning. This body language is all very subtle. Over the past 3 years I have researched dog behavior because I recently purchased a high drive working dog ( like a GSD). He is friendly to other people and is aloof to other dogs, but I could never in a 1000 years predict what he would do with another person or animal when I wasn't there. You didn't do anything wrong. Sven was just being a dominant GSD. I'm sorry for your other pup. :( I would be devastated as well. I'm always tempted to get my boy a companion, but you never know how animals will get along when you are not home. Most of the time dogs can live in harmony and be best friends, but your situation is not uncommon

I was afraid of that. Payton has Napoleon complex. He wants to be an alpha male, but when you tip the scales at 16 lbs...not going to happen.

I'm sorry this happened. It sounds like this^^^ was probably the crux of the issue; Payton acted up and Sven just defended himself. But, as Umoveme mentioned, dog behaviour is often beyond the scope of what we observe.

Next time you go out of town can you board Payton so he doesn't act up? Boarding him, and not Sven, will help to *not* reinforce that the house is Payton's territory.

Next time we go out of town, Payton will be going to my in laws.
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear about this, Jim. Dogs are unpredictable, like all animals. I hope things work out between the dogs, and that you don't have to make any of those really tough decisions.

My remaining dog is still an emotional wreck after losing his lifelong companion. I guess we're going to try a canine version of Prozac. It's cheap, and may help end the whining and howling that goes on when we're not at home.

One of the big reasons we have Payton is because when my wife's Sheltie died, our Old English Sheepdog was so depressed. She moped around for weeks. It was amazing how she got so excited when we brought Payton home. :)
  • Like 1

The family and I were on vacation in Florida. Had a wonderful time. While we were gone, our house sitter (next door neightbor's 23 year old daughter) called us and told us that our German Shepard attacked our 16 lbs. Sheltie (Well call the Sheltie Payton from here on out...because that is his name). They wanted to take him to the emergency vet. Not wanting to have our neighbors pay a big vet bill for us, we asked them just to keep an eye on the Payton.

That was Sunday night. We get home Tuesday afternoon, and we see that something isn't right with poor Payton. I take him to the vet. Well, Sven, the German Shepard, really f***ed him up...bad. Our vet has me run him to the emergency pet hospital. They do surgery on Payton to clean out his wounds, and put a drain in. He stays for two days. His whole left side of his torso is bruised, and full of stitches. We got him home yesterday afternoon, but he is a mess, and will still need at least two surgeries, and we are already $2,800 in at this point.

What makes this so much worse is that Sven the Shepard is the sweetest dog. The kids climb on him and he does nothing but lick them. He plays with the cats and all he does is poke them with his nose and paws at them. When new people come over, he greets them wagging his tail. When we lay on the couch, he jumps up and goes to sleep next to us. It just doesn't make sense. He is the sweetest dog. My wife doesn't care for Shepards (The only reason we have Sven is because she knows how bad I've wanted one), but even she is head over heals in love with Sven because of how sweet he is. This is so out of character for him.

This is such a kick to the crotch for me for three reasons. First, one of our puppies is really hurt, and could still succumb to his injuries. Second, we are out $2,800 so far, and that number will increase as we continue to treat him, and more tissue in the bite area die. And lastly, this is almost the most disturbing thing...this attack is so out of character for Sven. I can't make sense out of it. I have never, ever seen anything close to this kind of behavior from him. Could it happen with the kids? Could he do it to the other dog again. I'm just confused and befuddled! :(

Thanks for letting me vent.

Sorry to hear this Jim. As much as dogs are family, they are still dogs with dog instincts. About 15 years ago My wife's first cousin stopped by their neighbors shetlon pony farm to let her 6 year old ride one. They had done this so many times before. While knocking on the door the neighbors rotwieller came casually walking around the house. Ended up the neighbors were gone so as they walked back to their car the dog walked with them. They both had been around the dog dozens of times but never without the neighbors present. The mom stuck out her hand and the dog sniffed it and turned his head as if no big deal. As they started to walk again the dog turned back around and attacked the 6 year old. The mom eventually just layed on top of her daughter as she couldn't pull the dog off. The dog stopped and just casually walked back around the house. Sydney was air lifted but never made it to the hospital. so many internal injuries as well as a broken back.

About a year later I was working a construction remodel at a wholesale florist. Met a husband and wife thet had been house sitting their son & daughter in laws 2 young pit bulls. They had been around the dogs (2 years old) since they were pups. Around 7 or 8 days into the house sitting they came home as usual and the dogs attacked them shortly after entering the house. the women was able to get into a closet and shut the door. The man was being drug down the hall by his leg and grabbed an aluminum softball bat leaning up by the back door. he said the second hit busted the dogs head open and it didn't even phase it. It took another hit for the dog to let go. They, (husband and wife), had staples in their heads and stitches everywhere.

I'm a dog guy and we have a small 15lb +- collie type mut. She is smart as hell and obeys me very well. But she has shown a tendency to be hostile towards women/small kids if they invade her space when she is in heat and protecting her stuffed toys.. She hasn't bit but has snapped. I keep her in another room or outside when company is here. She will retrieve a tennis ball for anyone, women/small kids included until your arm falls off. She loves my daughter. But my kids know that if she ever bites, she is gone. I love that dog but not at the expense of others. It sux but dogs can always be dogs.

Hope this is the first and last time anything like this happens with your Shephard and hope Payton recovers quickly.

Edited by Mystic Rythm
  • Like 1

The family and I were on vacation in Florida. Had a wonderful time. While we were gone, our house sitter (next door neightbor's 23 year old daughter) called us and told us that our German Shepard attacked our 16 lbs. Sheltie (Well call the Sheltie Payton from here on out...because that is his name). They wanted to take him to the emergency vet. Not wanting to have our neighbors pay a big vet bill for us, we asked them just to keep an eye on the Payton.

That was Sunday night. We get home Tuesday afternoon, and we see that something isn't right with poor Payton. I take him to the vet. Well, Sven, the German Shepard, really f***ed him up...bad. Our vet has me run him to the emergency pet hospital. They do surgery on Payton to clean out his wounds, and put a drain in. He stays for two days. His whole left side of his torso is bruised, and full of stitches. We got him home yesterday afternoon, but he is a mess, and will still need at least two surgeries, and we are already $2,800 in at this point.

What makes this so much worse is that Sven the Shepard is the sweetest dog. The kids climb on him and he does nothing but lick them. He plays with the cats and all he does is poke them with his nose and paws at them. When new people come over, he greets them wagging his tail. When we lay on the couch, he jumps up and goes to sleep next to us. It just doesn't make sense. He is the sweetest dog. My wife doesn't care for Shepards (The only reason we have Sven is because she knows how bad I've wanted one), but even she is head over heals in love with Sven because of how sweet he is. This is so out of character for him.

This is such a kick to the crotch for me for three reasons. First, one of our puppies is really hurt, and could still succumb to his injuries. Second, we are out $2,800 so far, and that number will increase as we continue to treat him, and more tissue in the bite area die. And lastly, this is almost the most disturbing thing...this attack is so out of character for Sven. I can't make sense out of it. I have never, ever seen anything close to this kind of behavior from him. Could it happen with the kids? Could he do it to the other dog again. I'm just confused and befuddled! :(

Sorry to hear this Jim. As much as dogs are family, they are still dogs with dog instincts. About 15 years ago My wife's first cousin stopped by their neighbors shetlon pony farm to let her 6 year old ride one. They had done this so many times before. While knocking on the door the neighbors rotwieller came casually walking around the house. Ended up the neighbors were gone so as they walked back to their car the dog walked with them. They both had been around the dog dozens of times but never without the neighbors present. The mom stuck out her hand and the dog sniffed it and turned his head as if no big deal. As they started to walk again the dog turned back around and attacked the 6 year old. The mom eventually just layed on top of her daughter as she couldn't pull the dog off. The dog stopped and just casually walked back around the house. Sydney was air lifted but never made it to the hospital. so many internal injuries as well as a broken back.

About a year later I was working a construction remodel at a wholesale florist. Met a husband and wife thet had been house sitting their son & daughter in laws 2 young pit bulls. They had been around the dogs (2 years old) since they were pups. Around 7 or 8 days into the house sitting they came home as usual and the dogs attacked them shortly after entering the house. the women was able to get into a closet and shut the door. The man was being drug down the hall by his leg and grabbed an aluminum softball bat leaning up by the back door. he said the second hit busted the dogs head open and it didn't even phase it. It took another hit for the dog to let go. They, (husband and wife), had staples in their heads and stitches everywhere.

I'm a dog guy and we have a small 15lb +- collie type mut. She is smart as hell and obeys me very well. But she has shown a tendency to be hostile towards women/small kids if they invade her space when she is in heat and protecting her stuffed toys.. She hasn't bit but has snapped. I keep her in another room or outside when company is here. She will retrieve a tennis ball for anyone, women/small kids included until your arm falls off. She loves my daughter. But my kids know that if she ever bites, she is gone. I love that dog but not at the expense of others. It sux but dogs can always be dogs.

Hope this is the first and last time anything like this happens with your Shephard and hope Payton recovers quickly.

There is no such thing as a bad dog, just abusive owners. If those pits and that Rottweiler was rescued, then it's entirely possible they came from abusive homes :(

And would you actually put down your own dog if she accidentally nipped you or daughter while playing fetch?

• Like 1

Here's the little trooper.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t246/ILsnwdog/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsh4xyfffj.jpeg

• Like 9

Snowdog, first, I am so sorry to hear - you've got my sympathies as I know that dogs are not simply "pets", but they are family members ..

I would highly recommend having Sven tested for lyme disease ( bacterial infection from a tick bite )

It is an epidemic, and will cause behavioral changes in dogs ( not just physical changes like limping ) .. and it is not just an East Coast thing ..

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 4

Snowdog, first, I am so sorry to hear - you've got my sympathies as I know that dogs are not simply "pets", but they are family members ..

I would highly recommend having Sven tested for lyme disease ( bacterial infection from a tick bite )

It is an epidemic, and will cause behavioral changes in dogs ( not just physical changes like limping ) .. and it is not just an East Coast thing ..

Funny you mention Lymes, because Payton has been treated for it twice.
  • Like 1

Funny you mention Lymes, because Payton has been treated for it twice.

I had it .. my sister had it .. my dog had it ... it is insane, esp here in NJ

The doc who treated me said that for every one tick I see, there are probably 50 I've never seen ... scary ****

• Like 1

Animals are just that. Many time "attacks" make no sense to us. There is so much to a dog's behavior that we generally don't understand. Sven maybe warned Payton in the past with body language that you never picked up on and this one time, Payton didn't "submit" to Sven's warning. This body language is all very subtle. Over the past 3 years I have researched dog behavior because I recently purchased a high drive working dog ( like a GSD). He is friendly to other people and is aloof to other dogs, but I could never in a 1000 years predict what he would do with another person or animal when I wasn't there. You didn't do anything wrong. Sven was just being a dominant GSD. I'm sorry for your other pup. :( I would be devastated as well. I'm always tempted to get my boy a companion, but you never know how animals will get along when you are not home. Most of the time dogs can live in harmony and be best friends, but your situation is not uncommon

I was afraid of that. Payton has Napoleon complex. He wants to be an alpha male, but when you tip the scales at 16 lbs...not going to happen.

There is the problem. We humans have bred the dogs to various shapes and sizes, but they still have the ancestral psychology of their predecessors, the wolves. Like you said, if the dogs were the same size they could have scrapped and figured it out, but Sven turned it into a bloodbath.

Anyway, I'm sorry this happened and I hope Walter Payton lives. You're a good man forking out all that money on a dog. It's silly, but I've done it myself, more than once.

Hopefully, the watchmaker is on Payton's side.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear this...this is horrible. How are your kids taking it?

That was the first thing I thought of, too.

I hope (Walter) Payton will make it through okay, with minimal difficulties. It sounds like it's going to be tenuous. But I hope for the best, for all of you.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this...this is horrible. How are your kids taking it?

That was the first thing I thought of, too.

I hope (Walter) Payton will make it through okay, with minimal difficulties. It sounds like it's going to be tenuous. But I hope for the best, for all of you.

Thanks Blue J. :cheers:

Sad news, indeed.

Hoping it was a case of separation anxiety from you guys being away and that it was an isolated incident.

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way for you, your family and your two little IL Snwdogs.

• Like 2

There is no such thing as a bad dog, just abusive owners. If those pits and that Rottweiler was rescued, then it's entirely possible they came from abusive homes :(

And would you actually put down your own dog if she accidentally nipped you or daughter while playing fetch?

I see you read my stories but decided you know the reality better than someone who has actually talked to the people involved. No where in my post was the word "rescued" ever mentioned or insinuated.

And since I never alluded to my dog "accidentally snipping" while playing fetch, actually the exact opposite, answering that question would be quite ignorant on my part.

Sorry that your belief is that only abused dogs can be vicious. You have a right to it obviously, Just sorry you believe that.

ILS maybe if you hadn't abused Sven he wouldn't have attacked Payton.

I guess it was your fault, huh? :facepalm:

Edited by Mystic Rythm
  • Like 3

Jim, hope your dog recovers fully from his trauma and wounds. Be grateful you have the money to have him taken care of by a vet. Others not as fortunate would have had to put the dog down.

As for your German Shepard, you better watch him. Especially around your youngest daughter- the little doll that she is :wub: . Maybe suggest to your children that it is no longer a good idea to be climbing over the dog. He's unpredictable.

• Like 1

"No such thing as an abusive dog, just abusive owners"

Erm...no.

This thread proves dogs can do things that take the owners by surprise. Clichés aren't truths just because you keep repeating them.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 8

wow, that really is too bad. We used to have a dog that was German Shepherd/Collie mix. He was always good with me and my sister, but as german shepherds go, they can be territorial and my dog was like that to people. We'd have to tether him if we had company come over.

If your sheltie started acting like he was king, I can almost see how the German shepherd proved him otherwise. Dogs are strange that way. John's mother had a sheltie and she could be quite the prima donna.

I doubt my bassett hound would be open to us having another dog.

• Like 1

Here's the little trooper.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t246/ILsnwdog/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsh4xyfffj.jpeg

Your Payton and my Xena are not very different!

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp11/tdpd7/Xena_zpsia2lljkn.jpg

Edited by Mystic Rythm
  • Like 4

Man, really sorry to hear about this, that really sucks. But I also thing this quoted post hit it on the head. My Satchmo wiped the floor with my sister's Bichon years ago and they were pups together and never really had an issue. But, they were both females and both alphas and one day the little dog tried to take her food. That Shepherd grabbed her by the throat, thrashed her around like a stuffed animal, and slammed her in the water dish about three times.It was like a Tom and Jerry cartoon, other than my wife and sister;'s kids screaming.

Dogs are also generally not stupid. If Payton survives(and I hope he does), watch them closely, put a harness on Sven for a bit with a handle on the back so you can grab him and make sure Payton learned never to f***ing get near or challenge Sven again. Usually, once a dog gets its ass beat it knows its place in the pack, unless it's a total cement head.

• Like 3