Rivendell from Fly By Night

Thunder Bay Rush

I love Rivendell. For me, it has some of the most poignant lyrics.

I've traveled now for many miles

It feels so good to see the smiles of

Friends who never left your mind

When you were far away...

You feel there's something calling you

You're wanting to return

To where the misty mountains rise and friendly fires burn

A place you can escape the world

Where the dark lord cannot go

Peace of mind and sanctuary by loud water's flow

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 5

Rivendell is awesome.

A favorite of mine from that album along with Anthem Making Memories, Between Beneath Behind, Best I Can and In The End.

I think the reason one of them fell asleep at play back was because they were stoned!

• Like 2

I think the problem lies in the listener lol! I think some macho guys just can't "allow" themselves to like it for fear of being a wuss.

I don't think that's the problem at all. For me it's the song itself, which is a bit dull. Compare it to Gong to California, which is a better length, i think, and overall more interesting in that it has range. Of RUSH's slower, lighter fare, there are three songs that I have three distinct reactions to.

Rivendell, I don't hate, nor do I not like it. It's just there, as background. Nothing offensive about it, nor does it really engage me in any way. And I'm a Tolkien fan. Then there's Tears, which I absolutely love. I think the melody is well-written and the build up of the song is well-crafted. I even like Neil's approach to the drums. At the other end of the spectrum is Madrigal, which for me has no redeeming qualities. Melody, instrumentation, lyrics. Nails on a chalkboard for me.

"When life becomes as barren and as cold as winter skies..." Some of Neil's best lyrics to me. Kind of describes being depressed without whining about it.

I think it's a beautiful song. I don't really care that it sounds like it was written by very young guys...because that's what they were.

I like the play the finger-picked melody on the acoustic (as I don't have an actual classical guitar). It's really lovely.

:goodone:

It's a simple melody and I do appreciate it.

• Like 2

I think it's a beautiful song. I don't really care that it sounds like it was written by very young guys...because that's what they were.

I like the play the finger-picked melody on the acoustic (as I don't have an actual classical guitar). It's really lovely.

It's a simple melody and I do appreciate it.

• Like 1

Johnny Blaze- above, about Eddie Murphy- it was from Delirious, correct, but it was not James Brown he was impersonating, but rather Teddy Pendergrass.

;)

I like the song. Out of all the songs on Fly By Night, this and Beneath, Between & Behind were my initial favourites of the album. Rivendell is also a nice easy song to learn how to play and sing. The version posted above I do enjoy, I even have it on my phone ripped from Youtube.

I wonder if old school TRFer Necromancer's rendition of Rivendell is still on here somewhere. Some of you might remember this.

I haven't, but I'd like to hear it if it's good.

I wonder if old school TRFer Necromancer's rendition of Rivendell is still on here somewhere. Some of you might remember this.

I haven't, but I'd like to hear it if it's good.

The thread was a TRF members only competition of the best Rush cover. A few real quality versions in there. Each version was just a single TRFer (no bands) performing their cover version. Necromancer's rendition of Rivendell was done as a joke.

Great song. I am a 70s kid who went to pre school run by hippies and Tolkien was read to me before bed. I also live in a house hidden in the woods. I am rather partial to the song:)

Are you deaf in one ear too?? :P

Nice song, but to me, I have to really be in a certain mood to listen to it. It's tough to listen to a song like that after you just jammed to Xanadu, 2112 and Working Man. Very different vibe.

One of the worst songs they ever recorded.

Absolute bore, ponderous. Nothing about it ever made me want to listen to it again. Yet I gave it several chances.

They do have some awful clunkers and this is right up there in the top 3 of all time Rush blunders.

• Like 2

For me Rivendell is a decent, ok, run of the mill song. Nothing I go crazy for, but nothing I dislike either.

I give them credit for trying it and moving on. No problem with it and, for the record, I very much enjoy Tolkien's writing.

Tolkien was a literary master.

Try finding a fantasy successor that lives up to him. Closest I can find is Tad Williams, but even then I have my doubts!

What Rush did with Rivendell is lovely. Far worse music has been released with Tolkien influence.

• Like 3