Steven Wilson 4.5

shail

Seems he's run out of ideas musically. New album sounds like riffs from previous SW or PT albums. Some very cool music non the less. Marco is on fire. To bad it's only 6 songs. Craig Blundell sounds good also Edited by shail

Seems he's run out of ideas musically. New album sounds like riffs from previous SW or PT albums. Some very cool music non the less. Marco is on fire. To bad it's only 6 songs. Craig Blundell sounds good also

They are riffs from those albums, all these songs are leftovers from previous recording sessions. This isn't a new recording. It's a collection of stuff already written and recorded. They've just not been released before.

Edited by treeduck
  • Like 3

This is essentially songs that weren't good enough to make it on to Hand. Cannot. Erase. (or Hands Across The Eraser or some shit) so I'll wait until I can hear it before I decide to buy it. I'll give him one thing, he's got the money making down. This, plus all the "limited editions" he releases and the re-masters he's done over the past couple of years has probably built him a nice pile of pounds.

Just read an article where he said he was "cleaning out the closet" of stuff he had sitting around, because he's planning a new album in 2017 (and it's supposed to be going into a different direction?!?)

Wait...I just remembered where the snippet was:

4 ½ is released today on CD, vinyl and Blu-Ray. As the title implies, this is an interim release between my 4th album Hand. Cannot. Erase. from last year, and my 5th album to come (planned for late 2017). The album includes 37 minutes of music; 4 previously unused songs written or recorded during the Hand. Cannot. Erase. sessions, one written during sessions for The Raven That Refused to Sing, and a recent (mostly) live recording of an older song Don't Hate Me. While there is an element of "clearing the decks" before I commence work on the next album, which is likely to move in quite a different direction again, I'm nevertheless proud of how 4 ½ has turned out, and consider it to be the closing of one chapter before the next begins. I hope you enjoy it! - SW

Sounds freaking excellent to me. If this is him cleaning out the closet, I hope he looks under the couch cushions and in the back of the closet too.

You and me both. Clean out the fridge and the garage while you're at it. :D

• Like 2

I just watched the video for Routine on his web site. That has got to be one of the most heartbreaking animated things I have ever seen.

It was even more heartbreaking if you saw it live at the shows before he released it on the web. I speak from experience but regardless, it's possibly one of my favorite SW videos ever.

• Like 3

Awaiting my copy from Burning Shed.
  • Like 1

Awaiting my copy from Burning Shed.

Me too. Stupid freakin' blizzard! Mine is who knows where in this mess. I haven't seen a mail delivery since last Thursday. If it doesn't show up tomorrow I am going to weaken to the temptation to buy the MP3 from Amazon just to hear it. The suspense is killing me. :boohoo:

• Like 2

Saw the band on Thursday.

During the concert, Stephen emphasized that these tracks were not left off previous releases because they were "Not good enough"

Apparently, it's because they did not "fit thematically". He went on to say, he would never consider putting out anything he thought was sub-standard.

"Don't hate me" was intended to be a duet, hence it's re-release in this new form.

I feel for all those who have had their copy delayed.

In my opinion, it's well worth the wait.

• Like 2

Still patiently waiting. Can't wait!!!

Out of ideas? Steven Wilson's recent releases have been the best of a fantastic career.

I was just thinking that, if Rush is truly retired, Steven Wilson probably becomes my favorite active musician. feels like an incredible addendum to Hand. Cannot. Erase. I'm absolutely loving it.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

Out of ideas? Steven Wilson's recent releases have been the best of a fantastic career.

I was just thinking that, if Rush is truly retired, Steven Wilson probably becomes my favorite active musician. feels like an incredible addendum to Hand. Cannot. Erase. I'm absolutely loving it.

Ken! Where the heck have you been???

I've been loving this little album too.

Hell I even love the new Dream Theater! What the hell is wrong with me??? LOL!

Went to the show at Hammersmith Apollo Odeon last week. Another fabulous gig from Mr Wilson and co.

First set was HCE start to finish (which was great for me as I only went to the second night at the Albert Hall last year, so didn't see this before), the second set included three tracks from 4 ½ and several Porcupine Tree songs, a brilliant new version of Index, plus Bowie's Space Oddity (would rather have heard something from Insurgentes, but there you go!), and finishing with The Raven. Ninet sang on four songs. Sound was fantastic. Steven was on great form with some very funny banter between songs (including embarrassing Marillion's Steve Rothery when he got to his seat late :LOL: ).

Highlight of the night for me was Drag Ropes. It was always a bit of a curiosity for me before but now I've seen it live it's leaped up my list of favourites. Found it hypnotic.

Edited by willowroolz
  • Like 2

Where the **ck is my CD from Burning Shed!!!!

Damn it!!!! Get here already.

Never again from those dudes.

Where the **ck is my CD from Burning Shed!!!!

Damn it!!!! Get here already.

Never again from those dudes.

Hang in there. I finally received mine yesterday. Hope it arrives soon.

• Like 1