Order of Your Rush Albums

Blue Barchetta

Maybe (gasp) a new thread! At least I haven't seen it on here. The order in which you bought Rush albums (or 8-tracks- or cassettes- or cds) at least the best you can remember. Here's mine: Grace Under Pressure- Loved DEW when I heard it at 13. Bought G/P soon thereafter. Signals: Member of a music club. One of their feature albums. 2112- A friend told me it was satanic...not! Moving Pictures...Great! Then Permanent Waves (still my favorite). Power Windows- it was the first Rush album I WAITED on to be released. After that...well, I had the whole collection before HYF was released, though I don't remember in which order, and I've bought every one new since then.

Everything from the debut through Test For Echo existed when I started listening to them around 2000 cause Dad bought all of it.

Then Vapor Trails through Clockwork Angels was purchased as it came out.

As far as LISTENING to it went, albums went something along the lines of Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, ATWAS, pre-prog, the prog era, the synth era, Vapor Trails, Counterparts, Test For Echo, Presto and Roll The Bones, Snakes, CA.

My first taste of live Rush was ATWAS like with most people, my first full package of live Rush came with Rush in Rio (what a performance!) then my first concert was June 12, 2004 in St. Louis for the R30 tour, right before my 10th birthday.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

I think this is how it went...

Debut - on release day or very soon after

FBN - on release day or very soon after

COS - on release day or very soon after

2112 - on release day or very soon after

ATWAS - on release day or very soon after

R40 Live - on release day or very soon after

• Like 3

Killer, man! Along for the full ride!

• Like 1

I was given 'All The World's A Stage' on eight track in 1976. Bought it on vinyl soon after. Then '2112'. Then 'Archives'. Then every album since on the day it was released. (Except for four or five which I got before their release from a friend who owned a record store). I also re-purchased 2112 and Moving pictures on CD when I first saw them in stores even though I would not own a CD player for another year. :LOL:
  • Like 3

I was given 'All The World's A Stage' on eight track in 1976. Bought it on vinyl soon after. Then '2112'. Then 'Archives'. Then every album since on the day it was released. (Except for four or five which I got before their release from a friend who owned a record store). I also re-purchased 2112 and Moving pictures on CD when I first saw them in stores even though I would not own a CD player for another year. :LOL:

Counterparts was the first CD I owned. A birthday present from an old girlfriend to go along with a CD player. The first one I BOUGHT was Fly By Night...another great (and often overlooked) album.

• Like 1

"All The World's A Stage" on album for me. Bought it at the local Zayre's Department store.

Pretty certain that "Hemispheres" was the second album I bought because I really wanted the song, "The Trees". The Zayre's store didn't have "Hemispheres" so I went ahead and bought "ATWAS".

Don't remember the order in which I got the rest of the albums (through Permanent Waves.) But I do remember that I bought "Caress of Steel" at the local Montgomery Ward store and my Mom bought me "Permanent Waves" at the local K-Mart. When I found out she was going shopping, I begged her to get it for me. She said "No", but then surprised me with it when she got home! I Love my Mom!

I do remember getting an 8-Track of "2112" from the local Venture Department store, but I had already had the album. (No other 8-Tracks. Geesh, those things were awful! Having to put up with a song fading out and then the tracks clicking around and then the song fading back up. Terrible!)

Oh, and a kid in High School named Keith gave me his copy of the debut album, "Rush". So that's where I got that one!

From "Moving Pictures" on, I bought all the albums on the date of release. Usually at Flipside Records!

Edited by Geddyleegenes
  • Like 2

Permanent Waves then 2112 and Fly byNight. Moving Pictures then Hemispheres and Exit Stage Left. Signals and Caress of Steel. I never bought ATWAS or the debut. Grace Under Pressure then everything else in release order.
  • Like 1

"All The World's A Stage" on album for me. Bought it at the local Zayre's Department store.

Pretty certain that "Hemispheres" was the second album I bought because I really wanted the song, "The Trees". The Zayre's store didn't have "Hemispheres" so I went ahead and bought "ATWAS".

Don't remember the order in which I got the rest of the albums (through Permanent Waves.) But I do remember that I bought "Caress of Steel" at the local Montgomery Ward store and my Mom bought me "Permanent Waves" at the local K-Mart. When I found out she was going shopping, I begged her to get it for me. She said "No", but then surprised me with it when she got home! I Love my Mom!

I do remember getting an 8-Track of "2112" from the local Venture Department store, but I had already had the album. (No other 8-Tracks. Geesh, those things were awful! Having to put up with a song fading out and then the tracks clicking around and then the song fading back up. Terrible!)

Oh, and a kid in High School named Keith gave me his copy of the debut album, "Rush". So that's where I got that one!

From "Moving Pictures" on, I bought all the albums on the date of release. Usually at Flipside Records!

Zayres and 8 tracks! :D I remember both well. The retail world changes but the excellence of Rush endures!

Archives (1st 3 albums in one pack), Hemispheres, A Farewell to Kings, 2112, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Presto, Roll the Bones, Counterparts, Test For Echo, Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows, Clockwork Angels, Hold Your Fire, All the Worlds a Stage

Bought Grace Under Pressure the day it was released, loved it (still do), and then inexplicably did not buy another Rush record for 25 years. Came across Power Windows one day while looking for something else, bought it and fell in love all over again.

Presto (cassette), A Show of Hands (cassette & vhs), I think Chronicles next on cd...after that it gets blurry. I was still buying tapes so I remember a few like the debut and PeW early on.

Was 16 when I first got into Rush, picked up Hemispheres and Permanent Waves, late January 1980.

Moving Pictures through to R40 all within a month of release.

Between 1980 and 1984 picked up Rush through to Kings.

I bought Archives for the first 3 albums and Farewell to Kings in 1981.

A friend of mine picked up 2112 and All the Worlds a Stage for me while he was on holiday in England in 1984.

I bought AFTK's about a month after it was released. Then went out and bought 2112, FBN, CoS, ATWAS and the debut (pretty much in that order) not long afterwards. Got the next albums up to PoW's within a week of release date. PoW's - Presto were depressing for me so didn't buy them until much later. RTB's I bought and liked somewhat. Didn't get Counterparts until much later. Bought TFE when it was released. Liked it but thought it was really commercial. Bought VT's when it came out, listened to it once and then used it as a coaster. Thought that was it for the band until S&A's came out and got it about a month after release and so many positive reviews. Preordered CAs. Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

All of the Rush that I listened to when I was very young was handed down to me by my brother, as he was the one who had turned me on to them. That was from Permanent Waves up through Power Windows. So the first new Rush I album I ever bought on my own was Hold Your Fire. This also coincided with the advent of the CD format, and my first CD player, which I received as a Christmas gift in 1986.

I believe it went like this (combination of cassette and CD):

1. All the World's a Stage

2. Rush (S/T)

3. 2112

4. Hold Your Fire

5. Caress of Steel

6. Fly By Night and A Farewell to Kings (bought on the same day, though I already knew them from several years before that)

7. A Show of Hands

After that, I bought everything on the day or week of release, until Test For Echo. I was working in a record shop at the time, and heard it by way of a promo copy. Didn't really like it. And soon after that Rush just kind of fell off my radar, until I happened to read something about the Time Machine tour, in 2010-'11. Got back into them full-force after that.

The next 'new' Rush album that I bought on the day of release, then, after Counterparts, was Clockwork Angels.

• Like 1

Permanent Waves around June of 1980, 2112 a couple of weeks later, A Farewell to Kings a few days later, All The World's a Stage and Archives on the same day, and Hemispheres by the end of August. All others on release day or within a week. I rebought the first 3 to get the artwork in 1981. Bought Moving Pictures and Signals on CD in 1984 a few months before I got a CD player. Bought Power Windows on vinyl because the CD was not available on release day but bought all again on CD except the debut and all others on CD only. Not really interested in compilations but bought Chronicles for What You're Doing live which was not yet on the CD of ATWAS. Have been given other compilations but don't buy them any more. Stopped buying posters and t-shirts after the Signals tour. Have seen every tour since the Moving Pictures tour. After listening to Hemispheres the first time with two friends, we all looked unenthused and I said 'well, Hemispheres sucks' but a couple of months later it was my favourite album.
  • Like 1

Same for me
  • Like 2

Since 1984 chronologically as they came out.

Before that I think it was 2112 first and everything else at that point followed in short order.

They are all stored chronologically by release date except I put the Grace Under Pressure Tour CD after the studio album and the Mobile Fidelity/Audio Fidelity releases according to the original studio releases.

1. Heard "Tom Sawyer" on the radio in 1981 while I was playing on my Atari 2600. I was frozen in place, thinking "What is this sorcery??" Found out it was Rush, and so I quickly befriended this other 7th-grader who always wore Rush shirts to school. (He ended up being the best man in my wedding nearly 28 years ago, and he came out from California to visit me in Ohio last summer.) I quickly soaked up Moving Pictures and everything prior, but I have no idea in what order.

2. Picked up Signals, GUP, and Power Windows as they were released. Power Windows was the first CD I ever bought. Shiny! I enjoyed all three, though I didn't think of them as "true Rush" at the time. The stylistic changes threw me for a loop.

3. Bought the Hold Your Fire vinyl on the release date and threw in it in the trash within days, declaring "Rush is dead." Thus began my ten years in the Rush wilderness.

4. Shipped off to Germany with the U.S. Army a few months later and was completely oblivious to subsequent releases. When I returned to the States in 1992 I heard "Ghost of a Chance" on the radio and liked it okay, but not enough to buy the album. I happily returned to the aforementioned wilderness.

5. In 1997 I joined the National Midnight Star email group (remember that??) and revealed to someone there my story of hearing virtually no new Rush in ten years. That someone taped the newly releaed Test For Echo album onto cassette for me and mailed it -- at the time, I thought it was (mostly) fantastic! Especially "Time and Motion," which I judged equal to the Rush Of OldTM.

6. Inspired (by TFE...imagine that), I picked up a used copy of HYF. I listened to it with fresh ears and fell in love with it instantly.

7. Picked up Presto, Roll the Bones, and Counterparts and learned I didn't miss much at all. Still don't. :P

8. Bought VT, S&A, and CA on their respective release dates.

Pardon my verbosity.

• Like 4

Hemispheres was the first not long after it came out.Liked the idea that they were trio,long songs and there was an exercise in self indulgence.Missed Permanent Waves .Then bought MP and ESL at same time.Signals and the went back and got all the rest.Sat on the perch waiting outside the shop for GUP and it was all go.