Alan Rickman has passed away at age 69.

ALifeson85

ORF, we already have a thread for this in Video Vertigo. I'll merge your posts into that one in a bit.

Thanks for telling me. All I've known up til now is a Obit thread in a 'current events' forum....is there one place to place your death notices? or is this just because he was an actor in Videos of different kinds?

Yeah, when a TV or movie personality passes away we usually post about it in here. If a musician passes away (like David Bowie) we'll cover it in MoTS. And so forth.

• Like 1

"Alas your mr. Takagi did not see it that way.......so he won't be joining us for the rest of his life."

RIP Hans (Alan)

Mick

Holly McClane: After all your posturing, all your little speeches, you're nothing but a common thief.

Hans Gruber: I am an exceptional thief, Mrs. McClane! And since I'm moving up to kidnapping, you should be more polite!

:ebert: :ebert:

• Like 2

"Alas your mr. Takagi did not see it that way.......so he won't be joining us for the rest of his life."

RIP Hans (Alan)

Mick

Holly McClane: After all your posturing, all your little speeches, you're nothing but a common thief.

Hans Gruber: I am an exceptional thief, Mrs. McClane! And since I'm moving up to kidnapping, you should be more polite!

:ebert: :ebert:

Hans Is my 2nd fav villein after emperor Palpatine. All because of Alan of course.

He was FANTASTIC,

Mick

• Like 1

I know him best as Hans Gruber, the brilliant and vicious criminal from Die Hard.

A classic character...... :ebert:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_X3X-pfQGdZI/TPHfVLfVMrI/AAAAAAAAAKM/euh0SFwIlk4/s1600/hans-gruber.gif

Wow. According to IMDB, his first Movie was "Die Hard" Pretty good first showing, 'eh? And Westerns? KInda. He was in "Quigley, Down Under" it was his third movie. If you've heard of it "The January Man" was his second movie.

• Like 3

Locksley, I'm going to cut your heart out....with a SPOON!!!

- The Sheriff of Nottingham, to Robin Hood

• Like 4

So sad...

What a great legacy he left behind. :rose:

Posted by Daniel Radcliffe...

Alan Rickman is undoubtedly one of the greatest actors I will ever work with. He is also, one of the loyalest and most supportive people I've ever met in the film industry. He was so encouraging of me both on set and in the years post-Potter. I'm pretty sure he came and saw everything I ever did on stage both in London and New York. He didn't have to do that. I know other people who've been friends with him for much much longer than I have and they all say "if you call Alan, it doesn't matter where in the world he is or how busy he is with what he's doing, he'll get back to you within a day".

People create perceptions of actors based on the parts they played so it might surprise some people to learn that contrary to some of the sterner(or downright scary) characters he played, Alan was extremely kind, generous, self-deprecating and funny. And certain things obviously became even funnier when delivered in his unmistakable double-bass.

As an actor he was one of the first of the adults on Potter to treat me like a peer rather than a child. Working with him at such a formative age was incredibly important and I will carry the lessons he taught me for the rest of my life and career. Film sets and theatre stages are all far poorer for the loss of this great actor and man.

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

I know him best as Hans Gruber, the brilliant and vicious criminal from Die Hard.

A classic character...... :ebert:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_X3X-pfQGdZI/TPHfVLfVMrI/AAAAAAAAAKM/euh0SFwIlk4/s1600/hans-gruber.gif

Wow. According to IMDB, his first Movie was "Die Hard" Pretty good first showing, 'eh? And Westerns? KInda. He was in "Quigley, Down Under" it was his third movie. If you've heard of it "The January Man" was his second movie.

He was the best thing about Die Hard. He was the best thing about Galaxy Quest.

• Like 3

Alan Rickman was one of my favourite actors, along with Gary Oldman... a great character actor who makes every role his own. Alan has always stood out in the roles he's played and made films memorable because of his presence. It was my then-14-year-old cousin who turned me onto Alan five years ago, and I was immediately hooked, and watched everything of his I could get my hands on, including the British TV series The Barchester Chronicles from 1982, the oldest filming I could find. Within a few months I had devoured everything I could find with Alan, and though I'm sure I'm biased, I think he excelled in all of his roles. And that voice of his, and his unique way of delivering his lines... someone said he could be sitting there reading the phone book, and the audience would be hanging onto his every word.

Ah, it's going to be so weird watching Harry Potter movies again.... I just started re-reading the series again, and of course picture Alan Rickman as Snape.

Alan should be proud of his work, and the legacy that he leaves us with. He is held in high esteem by peers and audience alike, and the stage and screen will miss him. :rose:

• Like 1