The Main Monkey Business - R40 Live Guitar Changes? Tab?

i_am_canadian737

Hi all,

I'm brand new on the forums, so I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes.

After hearing The Main Monkey Business live and on the R40 album, I've noticed that Alex changed up the guitar part slightly. On the Snakes and Arrows album and during that tour, he used a 12-string acoustic in DADAAD tuning for a specific section. On the R40 tour, he didn't change guitars at all, but it sounds like he's varied the chords a bit. The chords he plays add a very dissonant but fitting sound over Geddy's grooving bass line. I can't quite figure out what he's playing by ear, does anyone have any ideas, or know of a tab? Thanks! :Alex:

Welcome! This is indeed the right place for such questions.

Now if someone only has the answer... :)

• Like 1

Not sure of the answer to your question but MMB is kind of a snoozer instrumental IMO.

I agree MMB is one of my least favorite instrumentals. I think MalNar much better off S&A I wish they had done it R40. But I have come to realize two truths about my favorite band.

1- If they play it they more than likely like it.

2- It seems songs are never played the same way twice from tour to tour, sometimes show to show. ;)

• Like 1

MMB is certainly a unique instrumental, I find that I love the "jam session" feel that it has. That, and it's relatively easy to play ;) .

To clarify, I'm talking about the specific line from 0:07 to 0:31 https://youtu.be/E0K3YPIJikM?t=7s . It's a lot more distinct in the actual live recording. I suppose I could try and match the chord shape by watching the live recordings, but for accuracy and curiosity's sake, I was just curious if anyone knew for sure or had a tab.

But I have come to realize two truths about my favorite band.

1- If they play it they more than likely like it.

2- It seems songs are never played the same way twice from tour to tour, sometimes show to show. ;)

Agreed about #1. They play(ed) what they like(d). Though they seemed to revisit somethings that WE like that they had less than great memories of but ended up changing their minds.

#2 is more true about Al more so than Geddy or Neil.

• Like 1