Triggered sequences - how do they stay in sync live?

Earthshine_sf

I don't know HOW they keep track of all this sequencer stuff live... they must have to REALLY pay attention. But - what really got me into Rush in the 70s, was how they made that big FAT sound all live - without any sequencers. Especially, Geddy... what he did LIVE was astonishing and only at the age of 25. Crazy talent.

I agree. I'd rather have that than what they do today.

Lorraine, it was something to behold... I am so thankful to have seen that era of Rush, live. Back then, if you heard a sound, it meant that one of the guys played something... not just someone stepping on a pedal or hitting a pad to trigger recorded sounds. Geddy was especially busy back then.
  • Like 3

I am almost sure Neil has a pulse light on songs using triggers and that is the tempo he sets with his stick's to get the ball rolling into the song.

I don't know HOW they keep track of all this sequencer stuff live... they must have to REALLY pay attention. But - what really got me into Rush in the 70s, was how they made that big FAT sound all live - without any sequencers. Especially, Geddy... what he did LIVE was astonishing and only at the age of 25. Crazy talent.

I agree. I'd rather have that than what they do today.

Well the band would disagree with you. They have always embraced technology. They were always known to use the latest and greatest. A blessing and curse sonically speaking. I felt 77-83 was the absolute best time period for their live sound. True analog, mini moogs and bass pedals, etc etc. Real wood blocks and chimes timbles etc for Neil. Yeah I love those days too.

I would give my left ball and half of the other one to find some concert footage on YouTube of the AFTK Tour or the Hemispheres Tour. And, Yes, I'm okay with only having one half of a ball for the rest of my life. As long as I can still pee...
  • Like 1

These days things are a lot easier for the guys. Everything is computerized to the point that everything is programmed beforehand. I recently saw a program with RUSH's sound guy talking about preparing for a tour. The reason rehearsals take so long is that he basically programs the show. So the set everything for the first thirty seconds of a song, then they create a new setup for the next 15 seconds, etc, etc. My guess is that the samples are loaded in to the same pedals for each song, meaning there isn't a different sample in every one of Alex's pedals, only the one or two needed for each song. It would probably make sense that Neil has a click track in his in ear monitor as well, however I think that his internal clock is good enough that he could get away without it. Who knows.

But agreed, they were fare more fun to watch live back in the 80s.

These days things are a lot easier for the guys. Everything is computerized to the point that everything is programmed beforehand. I recently saw a program with RUSH's sound guy talking about preparing for a tour. The reason rehearsals take so long is that he basically programs the show. So the set everything for the first thirty seconds of a song, then they create a new setup for the next 15 seconds, etc, etc. My guess is that the samples are loaded in to the same pedals for each song, meaning there isn't a different sample in every one of Alex's pedals, only the one or two needed for each song. It would probably make sense that Neil has a click track in his in ear monitor as well, however I think that his internal clock is good enough that he could get away without it. Who knows.

But agreed, they were fare more fun to watch live back in the 80s.

If this is what you are talking about everyone should watch or should have watched it by now...

• Like 1