40 million albums??????

Thunder Bay Rush

Not sure if this has been talked about here or not... if so, please forgive me.

For at least 13 years now, I've been hearing that Rush has sold 40 million albums worldwide. This doesn’t sound right to me. If this is right, that means they haven’t sold anything since Vapor Trails in 2002? They’ve had 3 studio albums and 5 live albums since VT.

Also, Rush is more mainstream now after BTLS and the RRHOF. One would think they’d be well over the 50 million mark at this point.

• Like 1

I've read from various places that it was over 40 a bit over ten years ago. Too lazy to see what it's at now.

I had a look and I can't find anything - just mentions "over 40 million albums" and a reference to 37 million platinum albums.

• Like 1

Guess what? It's about 45 million now.

I was just gonna say this!

Five million albums in ten years is a fairly decent amount, if you ask me. Three decent selling records and tonnes of critical acclaim for a decades old band?

Not to be scoffed at!

• Like 1

I've read from various places that it was over 40 a bit over ten years ago. Too lazy to see what it's at now.

I had a look and I can't find anything - just mentions "over 40 million albums" and a reference to 37 million platinum albums.

They have released 37 million albums and they've all gone platinum! Wow!

• Like 6

Five million albums in ten years is a fairly decent amount, if you ask me. Three decent selling records and tonnes of critical acclaim for a decades old band?

Not to be scoffed at!

Especially when considering how much music retail has tanked, over those ten years- over the past twenty, really. People just don't buy new music like they used to- not even close, in terms of volume. The interwebs have changed all of that.

Half a million albums per year? Yes, that's very good, I think.

• Like 1

Haha...I was thinking in terms of 37 million platinum albums, as in 37 million million albums- or, in more literal terms, 37 trillion.

That would indeed be a feat!

• Like 2

Not to be scoffed at!

This is true...and especially in an era in which many folks just don't buy the albums. They "get" them.

• Like 2

45 million albums seems about right.

Keep in mind that these numbers aren't completely accurate. The band has to ask the RIAA for sales updates every now and then to get the specific numbers. I'm not sure if it's the same in Canada or any other country when they want to find out their exact album sale numbers.

So, 40 million could have just been the last number the band's management made public and just haven't released an update recently.

• Like 2

Not to be scoffed at!

Especially when considering how much music retail has tanked, over those ten years- over the past twenty, really. People just don't buy new music like they used to- not even close, in terms of volume. The interwebs have changed all of that.

Your comment about music retail tanking made me a bit sad. I came from the era of record stores and everything on vinyl. Hell, I still remember when cassette tapes were a 10 square foot corner of the record store.

• Like 5

Haha...I was thinking in terms of 37 million platinum albums, as in 37 million million albums- or, in more literal terms, 37 trillion.

Was Tony being funny? ;)

Was Tony being funny? ;)

Were you?

37 million platinum albums would be 37,000,000,000,000 sales wouldn't it?

Was Tony being funny? ;)

Were you?

Tony, how about a :mwah: ..?

Was Tony being funny? ;)

Were you?

Tony, how about a :mwah: ..?

:P

• Like 1

Not to be scoffed at!

Your comment about music retail tanking made me a bit sad. I came from the era of record stores and everything on vinyl. Hell, I still remember when cassette tapes were a 10 square foot corner of the record store.

It makes me sad, too. I worked in and then managed record shops for about six years, in the 1990s. It definitely isn't something I take lightly.

One residual effect of it all is that it greatly raised the threshold of what a musician has to do in order to remain profitable; for some of them, it's the difference between even being able to make a living, or not.

What a show off! TM just went out and bought five million albums.

Where do I store them? Dear oh dear...

Maybe Zumbi can help? I'm sure he has more than enough storage space to stow away all the Rush stuff he buys. He could rent out some space to you.

• Like 1

What a show off! TM just went out and bought five million albums.

Where do I store them? Dear oh dear...

Maybe Zumbi can help? I'm sure he has more than enough storage space to stow away all the Rush stuff he buys. He could rent out some space to you.

Well considering he bought at least 44 million copies of each album, I have a feeling they got these statistics completely wrong!

Oh wait...the CD-R's I burned and sold online don't count towards official sales, do they?

• Like 2

Priest have sold more albums.

AC?DC have sold more albums than Judas Priest and Rush combined.

Therefore, AC/DC >>> Priest and Rush :7up: hehehe

• Like 1

Only because ACDC fans are content to buy the same album over and over and over and over...

...o wait, this also applies to certain Rush fans.

Carry on.

• Like 3

The prior post about the questionable accuracy of said statistics is key here.

But, yeah, it does stand to be likely that Rush, after 40+ years in the industry, with a legion of scarily loyal fans, and a proven track record of touring success have sold a lot of albums.

What has AC/DC got to do with RUSH and Priest? And to use your logic and vernacular: Priest >>> Rush.

• Like 1