Happy Birthday Victor by Alex Lifeson 1/9/1996

robertrobyn

Yikes... I still clearly remember getting this the day it came out. It doesn't seem like 20 years at all LOL!

I've always liked this album. I thought the singers throughout the album served the songs well, the production was solid and I liked hearing Alex doing his own thing. It was interesting for me - It wasn't like a Rush album, yet I could hear what he brought to Rush's sound.

love the guy, for me Al will always be the coolest, most imaginative rock guitarist EVER, but apart from a few nice moments in it, Victor's a pile :)

Ged's solo album is sheer class, clear to see who main song arranger is in the band.

• Like 1

I've never checked it out. So Alex doesn't do the main singing on it?

No, he doesn't. But beware, the album isn't what you would think. Imagine Alex's sense of humour in musical form.

• Like 1

Apart from the lyrics of the first track,the less said the better,i find this an enjoyable album with many twist and turns.No it is not a Rush album,it's too quirky and left of centre for that,but it's definitely Alex.Some of his guitar his solos are brilliant.That solo on Shut Up And Play Your Guitar or whatever it is,is just out of this world.And I can I see where his love of the Porcupine Tree came about(he guested on Fear of a Blank Planet,a brilliant album).I remember a friend being disappointed with this album because Alex didn't play any straight ahead rock or blues.Apart from the first album and the odd track later when did Rush ever do that?I listen to it more than Geddy's just because it is just more adventurous and takes chances.

Headache was a masterpiece in comparison...Geddy knows what he's doing. I think Victor had one song I liked...maybe one other that was decent. I'll wipe the dust off of it and give it a spin someday...
  • Like 1

love the guy, for me Al will always be the coolest, most imaginative rock guitarist EVER, but apart from a few nice moments in it, Victor's a pile :)

Ged's solo album is sheer class, clear to see who main song arranger is in the band.

:goodone:

• Like 1

It's a disappointing record with no instrumentals of the quality of YYZ or La Villa and no good songs. It's mostly a hard to listen to mixed bag of quirky guitar stuff (some with his wife and her pal yapping all over it), bad attempts at nu metal with some awful vocals, interesting spoken poetry, a woman doing a Geddy Lee impression that sounds slightly uncomfortable and some bland alternative rock stuff.
  • Like 1

I remember the day it came out. I walked from Tribecca down to J&R music in the freezing cold after dark. It was icy on some of the sidewalks, and I fell on my ass twice becasue I was wearing dress work shoes.... wooden soles.

But I got the CD and listened to it on the bus on the way home... OK album. It made it easy to see exactly which part of Rush's sound Alex contributed at the time.

Edited by grep

It's a disappointing record with no instrumentals of the quality of YYZ or La Villa and no good songs. It's mostly a hard to listen to mixed bag of quirky guitar stuff (some with his wife and her pal yapping all over it), bad attempts at nu metal with some awful vocals, interesting spoken poetry, a woman doing a Geddy Lee impression that sounds slightly uncomfortable and some bland alternative rock stuff.

this

Al maybe needs to have a go at rectifying this gawdawful abberation i'm sure such a genius rock guitarist has a decent solo effort in him

Edited by lifeson90

After this album came out, Guitar Magazine wrote an article on Lifeson and Victor. I wrote to Guitar commenting on Lifeson's importance in Rush. How easy it is to tell it's Rush from a couple of Lifeson notes and other accolades. They published my letter several weeks later so I bought that mag which had that letter (unfortunately lost the magazine over the years). Anyway, when I got home from purchasing that mag, someone had left a message on my answering machine which said (i still remember):

"Hello. I'm just calling to let you know that I read your letter in Guitar Magazine about Alex Lifeson. If I could've voted for Mr. Lifeson in the election (it was an election year) I would've."

That was it. That random little call from some fellow Rush fan made me smile. Even 20 years later. :)