Geddy Interview - working with different producers, bass collection, etc.

The Analog Cub

Why on earth does this have to turn into a discussion about which member of Rush is "better"? They are all incredibly talented musicians and together, they formed Rush - which was a creative powerhouse. That's enough said on the topic for my ears.

Neil retiring has nothing to do with him being an "outsider" or because he doesn't "fit in" or anything ridiculous like that. He is of the working age of retirement - like us normal people - and he wants to retire and enjoy the rest of his life. That's it. He has said over and over again, he is happy to be "just a guy". That's what he is doing. There's no hard feelings, no feeling left out, no resentment - just ready to retire, and, at the top of his game, before he starts to decline due to his age.

You are correct that it is admirable for such a historically talented drummer to retire on top. But to end such a brilliant career, in such an abrupt manner, stunning his band mates a mere three months before their final tour, with no intl dates, no second leg, as is their normal tour schedule, is unfortunate way to end a brilliant career

The outsider angle speaks to the nature of how his partners of nearly a half century were stunned by his abrupt insistence that 35 NorAmerica dates were it, the absolute end of a glorious career, with no negotiation no compromise.

My understanding is that the whole R40 tour was a compromise from Neil.

Why on earth does this have to turn into a discussion about which member of Rush is "better"? They are all incredibly talented musicians and together, they formed Rush - which was a creative powerhouse. That's enough said on the topic for my ears.

Neil retiring has nothing to do with him being an "outsider" or because he doesn't "fit in" or anything ridiculous like that. He is of the working age of retirement - like us normal people - and he wants to retire and enjoy the rest of his life. That's it. He has said over and over again, he is happy to be "just a guy". That's what he is doing. There's no hard feelings, no feeling left out, no resentment - just ready to retire, and, at the top of his game, before he starts to decline due to his age.

You are correct that it is admirable for such a historically talented drummer to retire on top. But to end such a brilliant career, in such an abrupt manner, stunning his band mates a mere three months before their final tour, with no intl dates, no second leg, as is their normal tour schedule, is unfortunate way to end a brilliant career

The outsider angle speaks to the nature of how his partners of nearly a half century were stunned by his abrupt insistence that 35 NorAmerica dates were it, the absolute end of a glorious career, with no negotiation no compromise.

No, it was a compromise for the other two guys in the band.

Peart's compromise was to tour at all. :)

Nonsense. Peart toured for financial reasons or he wouldn't have bothered at all. I'm sure that when he refers to himself as a professional performing musician I believe he means someone who earns a living by performing rather than performing for its own end.

Nonsense. Peart toured for financial reasons or he wouldn't have bothered at all. I'm sure that when he refers to himself as a professional performing musician I believe he means someone who earns a living by performing rather than performing for its own end.

Of course he's a professional musician. Of course there was a financial incentive for him to agree to the tour. Where you and I seem to differ, I guess, is on whether or not he was initially in favor of doing the R40 tour when the idea was floated. My hunch is that he would rather have not done the tour, but agreed more out of a sense of loyalty and appeasement than to increase his bank account. If that's the case, if the choice he was weighing in his mind was "stay at home with the wife and kid vs. tour under specific conditions", then his agreeing to tour was indeed a compromise.

Of course he's a professional musician. Of course there was a financial incentive for him to agree to the tour. Where you and I seem to differ, I guess, is on whether or not he was initially in favor of doing the R40 tour when the idea was floated. My hunch is that he would rather have not done the tour, but agreed more out of a sense of loyalty and appeasement than to increase his bank account. If that's the case, if the choice he was weighing in his mind was "stay at home with the wife and kid vs. tour under specific conditions", then his agreeing to tour was indeed a compromise.

My library school skills are dying, I can't locate exactly which of the 10,000 Geddy R40 video promo tour interviews it is in. However, I thought Geddy said (one of) the back stories was that Neil wanted to tour in 2016, not 2015, because 2015 was the last summer before Olivia was starting school. However, when Neil realized how seriously Alex's rheumatoid arthritis had progressed since the end of the CA tour, he didn't want to ask Alex to wait any longer to tour, so he agreed to a 2015 tour. Then in all the other other interviews it has kind of been, "Oh, Alex's arthritis is doing better now." I hope it is! :heart:

I just can't get why people want to get all worked up over Neil's association with Geddy and Alex. It's like they want to make their lives a soap opera. So what if they have more of a professional working relationship than a close friendship? Why is that a big deal?

It's not. Just fanboys wanting someone or something to blame.

I wonder what conspiracy theories would've risen had all three announced simultaneous retirement. :)

• Like 1

I don't disagree. As a unit they are amazing and I love them to death. However when I see a great poster like Tombstone make an opinion that Neil is far more talented by miles over Alex and Geddy....I am sorry, but being a musician I had to chime in and give my rationale on how off that opinion was (to my eyes). It can be debated and in the end who really does care.....but I gotta stick up for the two guys who essentially write the music we have come to love. Neil is a drummer. He has not wrote a single melody of music in his life with this band. He handles others roles. And handles them to perfection mind you.

It's just some discussion, not an argument and I know I did not come off as argumentative. Quite the contrary. I love Neil as the drummer of Rush. But I refuse to minimlize Geddy and Alex's talent in the equation. All three are vital to the sound and all three are immensely talented and the gap is quite narrow in what they bring to the table for the band and it's music.

That was my point. Not who is more talented. But all three are critical. And I think all three are irreplaceable....but if I had to choose one to be replaced.....it's pretty easy for me to say Neil. Why? Because the music is what matters and Alex and Geddy wrote/write the music. Thank god no one has ever been replaced and this is all just talk and discussion.....because the band is over for all intensive purposes.

Ok I am done.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

I just can't get why people want to get all worked up over Neil's association with Geddy and Alex. It's like they want to make their lives a soap opera. So what if they have more of a professional working relationship than a close friendship? Why is that a big deal?

It's not. Just fanboys wanting someone or something to blame.

I wonder what conspiracy theories would've risen had all three announced simultaneous retirement. :)

Blame? Bleh......I honestly don't care why it's over. Does it really matter? I mean we got 41 years of sick music and touring. I am more than good with all of it. God bless them.

Plenty of other great music in the world to enjoy and go see live. Rush had an amazing run and will always be the best in my heart.

• Like 3

This would be at odds at what other 'insiders' are posting that Neil wouldn`t tour unless it was only xx amount of US dates and no EU tour.

That's my understanding. Neil didn't want to do the tour at all. He wanted to be done after CA. His compromise was to do some NA dates.

• Like 2

This would be at odds at what other 'insiders' are posting that Neil wouldn`t tour unless it was only xx amount of US dates and no EU tour.

That's my understanding. Neil didn't want to do the tour at all. He wanted to be done after CA. His compromise was to do some NA dates.

Yep. I feel grateful seeing R40 two times. I knew it was over with how they had that send off video. It say's it all IMO. I gotta believe Geddy and Alex were hoping this would give Neil the juice again. Get a taste and want more. It apparently had the reverse effect and solidified his decision to call it a career with touring.

We can hope for a new album. So there is that.

• Like 1

Yep. I feel grateful seeing R40 two times. I knew it was over with how they had that send off video. It say's it all IMO. I gotta believe Geddy and Alex were hoping this would give Neil the juice again. Get a taste and want more. It apparently had the reverse effect and solidified his decision to call it a career with touring.

My thoughts too. It wasn't a farewell tour, but it had a very encompassing and almost nostalgic look at their career. It was so well done. These guys are wise enough to know that they honestly don't know 100% what the future holds, so they tried to leave the door open for Neil. But it looks like he is happy to close it behind him. I would love another album. Just can't get enough.

We will just have to wait and see. Maybe Neil will post something to his blog in the near future and shed some light on things. I have to think he will be up at his place in the Laurentians soon to enjoy the winter. Maybe he will find some time to write his blog.

• Like 1

The only sad thing here is that they already had an awesome stage show put together, had finally worked a lot of the kinks out. At least they could have given the people elsewhere in the world a show. That much is unfortunate.

I hear the discussion, but when is enough? How many more concert dates are enough? How many more tours? Albums? The reality is that no amount of additional dates or tours or albums are going to make everyone happy. Tour Europe and not South America? And what of the US and Canadian cities that didn't get included in the last 35 dates? I get the disappointment. We all want it to continue. I had some of the best times of my life with people I met on this and other boards, looking forward to shows, drinking before shows, arguing about shows we saw, seeing cities I'd likely never see in my life, like Albuquerque and Manchester NH and, yes, Moline. But it has to end at some time. Going out while they're all playing pretty well, working through a lot of highlights in a big catalog, leaving a really good DVD of the experience, and never once, to my knowledge, halting periscoping during a single one of the 35 shows, seems preferable to me to seeing them half-assedly play Sawyer/TSOR/Limelight/Subdivisions live before 350 people at a county fair in ten years. My memories are of a band on top, and I'd like to keep it that way. The way I see it, Neil owes us nothing. At least, he owes me nothing. Stripped of emotion, he helped produce a product that I enjoyed consuming. But just as I didn't call the Hostess folks assholes when they stopped making Twinkies, and just as I didn't say that Coca-Cola owed me something when they stopped making regular Coke, I don't begrudge Neil a damn thing. In my opinion, it's unrealistic to think that any of us have a right to expect more. A band is a band only so long as the members want it to be so. There's some significant chance that this ain't a band any more. No reason for name calling.
  • Like 3

The only sad thing here is that they already had an awesome stage show put together, had finally worked a lot of the kinks out. At least they could have given the people elsewhere in the world a show. That much is unfortunate.

I really thought that with what they put into the show that they'd have a second leg announcement a month or two after the end of that tour...not a European tour, but a second US/Canadian leg....

• Like 1

One thought that came to mind watching this interview....how many times has Big Al almost missed curtain call after Neils solo due to natures call....ie dropping bombs because he needed to pinch a loaf in the dressing room toilet..?.... come on...it had to happen a few times.....

One thought that came to mind watching this interview....how many times has Big Al almost missed curtain call after Neils solo due to natures call....ie dropping bombs because he needed to pinch a loaf in the dressing room toilet..?.... come on...it had to happen a few times.....

Well that really added to the conversation..thanks for your input! :wtf:

I hear the discussion, but when is enough? How many more concert dates are enough? How many more tours? Albums? The reality is that no amount of additional dates or tours or albums are going to make everyone happy. Tour Europe and not South America? And what of the US and Canadian cities that didn't get included in the last 35 dates? I get the disappointment. We all want it to continue. I had some of the best times of my life with people I met on this and other boards, looking forward to shows, drinking before shows, arguing about shows we saw, seeing cities I'd likely never see in my life, like Albuquerque and Manchester NH and, yes, Moline. But it has to end at some time. Going out while they're all playing pretty well, working through a lot of highlights in a big catalog, leaving a really good DVD of the experience, and never once, to my knowledge, halting periscoping during a single one of the 35 shows, seems preferable to me to seeing them half-assedly play Sawyer/TSOR/Limelight/Subdivisions live before 350 people at a county fair in ten years. My memories are of a band on top, and I'd like to keep it that way. The way I see it, Neil owes us nothing. At least, he owes me nothing. Stripped of emotion, he helped produce a product that I enjoyed consuming. But just as I didn't call the Hostess folks assholes when they stopped making Twinkies, and just as I didn't say that Coca-Cola owed me something when they stopped making regular Coke, I don't begrudge Neil a damn thing. In my opinion, it's unrealistic to think that any of us have a right to expect more. A band is a band only so long as the members want it to be so. There's some significant chance that this ain't a band any more. No reason for name calling.

Excellent post TH. No one wants to see that in ten years... I would say a fair farewell could have been the r40 tour with a short break added and then a short second leg, something along the lines of the rumored 20 show leg that NEP nixed, 10 Euro, 3 SA stadiums and 7 NA would have been a great farewell. R40 came across as an abrupt end, that it was their end surprising not only many fans, but Ged N Al as well.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

Excellent post TH. No one wants to see that in ten years... I would say a fair farewell could have been the r40 tour with a short break added and then a short second leg, something along the lines of the rumored 20 show leg that NEP nixed, 10 Euro, 3 SA stadiums and 7 NA would have been a great farewell. R40 came across as an abrupt end, that it was their end surprising not only many fans, but Ged N Al as well.

Yes, this would have been a perfect end and in the scheme of things, not requiring much more effort from Neil.

Of course I respect his decision but I can't help feeling mightily pissed off if I allow myself to dwell on it too much!

Lots of interesting points.

My thoughts, not speculating on theirs, although, of course we're going to speculate - it's a forum, that what we do.

I personally have never liked the way they would still tease him by calling him the new guy. Past the first year, it's not funny anymore, IMO. With Geddy & Alex so close, I know I would have felt left out.

Somebody said Neil spoke of rivalries. Where is that. I'd just like to read it, for curiosities sake.

Edited by gypsy muse

My thoughts, not speculating on theirs, although, of course we're going to speculate - it's a forum, that what we do.

I personally have never liked the way they would still tease him by calling him the new guy. Past the first year, it's not funny anymore, IMO. With Geddy & Alex so close, I know I would have felt left out.

Somebody said Neil spoke of rivalries. Where is that. I'd just like to read it, for curiosities sake.

I know the feeling. Watching the dinner at the lodge extra it sometimes appeared that both Alex and Geddy were largely dismissing most of what he had to say. I think it's something that he's kind of earned though. He's eccentric. He's a very different dude. I know people who are very close to him, and that is the general vibe - he's a very unique and different guy. Lot of head scratching goes on regarding some of his choices. But - I think in the case of Alex and Geddy - they do just tease him - lightheartedly, and nothing mean, just teasing. That's what they all do. If anyone has paid enough attention to pick up on the teasing, then for sure you will also have picked up on the deep respect and true loving friendship. Listen to how how Geddy and Alex talk about his tragedies. That is testament to how they really feel about him.

I have done a ton of reading on the band, and don't recall anything about rivalries. What comes to mind actually is Neil describing how well a three piece works. There can be no factions, no ganging up on someone. It has to be unanimous when it comes to big decisions. No - "these two guys against those two guys" situations. Nothing about rivalries at all. Neil is kind of the "odd man out" in the band maybe for sure - but he is kind of the "odd man out" his whole life, with his parents, his friends and family, his associates in all walks. That's Neil.

• Like 1

When I first saw the interviewer (the stereotypical "hot blond chick" type) I thought... Oh, shit, here we go... she'll be asking about Ayn Rand the whole time. But, she was well informed and did a great interview. Geddy seemed to feel that way too. And, DAMMIT, I hope the ALL retire. Go out on top, boys! They have nothing left to prove... and leave Neil to hell alone. The dude is 63... has a wife and young daughter. He has GIVEN his whole life for us.

And on the other hand, Neil has written (in "Ghost Rider") that Alex and Geddy have been better friends to him than he's been to them.

I really think this thread is a great example of people reading WAAAAYYYY too much into what little info we have. We don't know the circumstances behind the 2015 tour, or what agreements/compromises/deals were made before, during, or after. At this point, the only thing we can say for sure is that the band is resting after an 8-year period of near CONSTANT activity, and that however they feel about their future a few months from now is likely going to be different that it was at the end of the R40 tour.

The rest is just speculation. Fun to argue, but no one on this forum has the inside track.

Edited by Ron2112
  • Like 1