Geddy Interview - working with different producers, bass collection, etc.

The Analog Cub

It's clear that more than ever Peart sees the other two as work friends and colleagues rather than close friends.

I agree.

In his book "Roadshow" he refers to Alex and Geddy as the "Guys from work". Geddy talks about how Neil appeared in their lives during the interview. It would be hard to fit in with two schmo's you work with, travel all over the states in a car together, yet they consider you an outsider. It's on Geddy and Alex for not doing a better job in that department. Hard part is that Neil changed the band so much, his influence is much more than just a drummer. In many cases, he's the reason people show up to a Rush concert.

Years and years of riding on a bus or a funcraft with two people who treat you like your something of a hired gun or the "new" guy will take its toll on a person's psyche. There's a reason why Neil is the loner within the group. Let's hope he can feel a part of the band once again.

--Hannibal Lecter

You really cannot take the perspective of a rather anti social introvert as being anything of substance other than his own skewed reality. I'm not defending anyone here, but none of us are there and none of us are privy to the real truth or any of the true realities of their personal interactions, the steps they may have taken towards friendship or any personality conflicts.

The real truth is they have stayed a band with Neil for 40 years and if he didn't like it, he would have left. They obviously didn't really quarrel or have ego issues to cloud their relationships, like most bands do.

Neil left Canada after his walkabout, he's always been an introvert and he has at least one personality disorder. You combine all of that and I am going to say there isn't going to be a whole lot of what many people would view as normal functioning friendships.

I just can't get why people want to get all worked up over Neil's association with Geddy and Alex. It's like they want to make their lives a soap opera. So what if they have more of a professional working relationship than a close friendship? Why is that a big deal?

Peart's relationship with the other two is crucial right now.

Geddy Lee does not know whether Peart has retired from touring or playing with the band. That is very telling.

If you guys do not see this then open your eyes instead of your fanboy union card.

Sure I get that but it should come as no surprise to anyone that he wants to quit touring.

The point is that Lee has no idea what Peart's plans are, don't you think that is odd? He knows Lifeson's plans, he's aware that Lifeson wants to get in the studio and jam, but Peart, nada.

At no point was Peart asked "do you mean retiring altogether, recording or just touring". It's the only question you would ask in response to being told this.

From reading his books and what little I know of him no, I don't find it odd.

It's clear that more than ever Peart sees the other two as work friends and colleagues rather than close friends.

I agree.

In his book "Roadshow" he refers to Alex and Geddy as the "Guys from work". Geddy talks about how Neil appeared in their lives during the interview. It would be hard to fit in with two schmo's you work with, travel all over the states in a car together, yet they consider you an outsider. It's on Geddy and Alex for not doing a better job in that department. Hard part is that Neil changed the band so much, his influence is much more than just a drummer. In many cases, he's the reason people show up to a Rush concert.

Years and years of riding on a bus or a funcraft with two people who treat you like your something of a hired gun or the "new" guy will take its toll on a person's psyche. There's a reason why Neil is the loner within the group. Let's hope he can feel a part of the band once again.

--Hannibal Lecter

You really cannot take the perspective of a rather anti social introvert as being anything of substance other than his own skewed reality. I'm not defending anyone here, but none of us are there and none of us are privy to the real truth or any of the true realities of their personal interactions, the steps they may have taken towards friendship or any personality conflicts.

The real truth is they have stayed a band with Neil for 40 years and if he didn't like it, he would have left. They obviously didn't really quarrel or have ego issues to cloud their relationships, like most bands do.

Neil left Canada after his walkabout, he's always been an introvert and he has at least one personality disorder. You combine all of that and I am going to say there isn't going to be a whole lot of what many people would view as normal functioning friendships.

I just can't get why people want to get all worked up over Neil's association with Geddy and Alex. It's like they want to make their lives a soap opera. So what if they have more of a professional working relationship than a close friendship? Why is that a big deal?

Peart's relationship with the other two is crucial right now.

Geddy Lee does not know whether Peart has retired from touring or playing with the band. That is very telling.

If you guys do not see this then open your eyes instead of your fanboy union card.

Sure I get that but it should come as no surprise to anyone that he wants to quit touring.

Nor does there need to be any ball busting for anyone who wants to retire or cutback in their early 60s. My oldest brother died at 65...so yeah that can naturally happen around that age. It also adds perspective when you see old rockers frequently dying off. You start to loose your tolerance for shit you don't want to do anymore.

Yes very true.

Why is it such a crime that Neil "creates his own path?" We all know that Geddy and Alex are best friends from school, and they have a different relationship. I'm sure Neil has fun with them, and enjoyed his time with the band, but he wasn't the old "asshole buddy" that the other two are.

Give it a rest already....

• Like 3

Geddy should do an all instrumental album with guest artists. Including other bassists as well. Include Al on a couple of tracks. That would be da shit. Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 2

Why is it such a crime that Neil "creates his own path?" We all know that Geddy and Alex are best friends from school, and they have a different relationship. I'm sure Neil has fun with them, and enjoyed his time with the band, but he wasn't the old "asshole buddy" that the other two are.

That's not the issue.

However. we can create a new one if you wish.

• Like 1

I love RUSH.

That's Geddy, Alex, and Neil.

If Neil wants to retire, or felt like an outsider for years, guess what he still went out and has probably done whole tours that he really didn't want to do but did so for us- the fans.

So let's give him a friggin' break please, this is the guy.. He's one of the most influential musicians of our time and has earned his rest.

If he doesn't have dinner with Geddy or Alex every night guess what bands aren't always like that with everyone. Can you imagine what half of Dream Theater thought of Portnoy? I'm sure if he stayed and time went on Myung or LaBrie would've split without super advanced notice too.

• Like 1

It seems like the concept of the R40 tour came about quickly from the interviews that I have read. I wonder if touring for the sake of touring is what turns Neil off? Am I right to say that two of their last three tours were just that (not promoting any new music)?

That's not the issue.

So what IS the issue? Some of you seem to be experts on what they are all thinking.....

• Like 1

That's not the issue.

So what IS the issue? Some of you seem to be experts on what they are all thinking.....

The issue is that the other 2 members of the band have no idea what his plans are. This is a multi-million dollar business, so this state of affairs is extraordinary.

Tony, they have to know. How can they be "business partners" with a man for forty years and have such a poor relationship with him that Alex and/or Geddy are afraid to ask him: "Will you be retiring from the band for good now, or is there a possibility that we may do more work as a band in the near future?"

If their personal relationship is so poor, I am at a loss as to understand who they managed to stay together as a band for four decades.

That's not the issue.

The issue is that the other 2 members of the band have no idea what his plans are. This is a multi-million dollar business, so this state of affairs is extraordinary.

It's the end of the world as we know it.....

As I said, Neil creates his own path, he's said many times that this is it...he's done....he wants to retire. Alex and Geddy seem to want to keep going, and they probably will...(but not as Rush!)

Why is this hard to comprehend?

Tony, they have to know. How can they be "business partners" with a man for forty years and have such a poor relationship with him that Alex and/or Geddy are afraid to ask him: "Will you be retiring from the band for good now, or is there a possibility that we may do more work as a band in the near future?"

If their personal relationship is so poor, I am at a loss as to understand who they managed to stay together as a band for four decades.

Then why wouldn't Lee or Lifeson just say "we'll discuss touring when we get together to write a new album."?

That's not the issue.

As I said, Neil creates his own path, he's said many times that this is it...he's done....he wants to retire. Alex and Geddy seem to want to keep going, and they probably will...(but not as Rush!)

You are so far off the pace that you are either winding me up or just stupid. I'm thinking the latter.

That's not the issue.

You are so far off the pace that you are either winding me up or just stupid. I'm thinking the latter.

Yeah.ok... take a Xanax!

I just can't believe that some of you are this upset about it! Obla deeeee obla daaaaa LIFE GOES ON.... BRAAAAAAAA......

Are you really that stupid?

I for one am not upset. I'm merely trying to make sense of the situation as there are clearly some plot holes. If you cannot grasp this or do not care fine, but let those of us trying to make sense of what is happening within the band do so.

Clearly you and Peart are clear as to his intentions. Unfortunately Geddy Lee obviously isn't.

That's not the issue.

Yeah.ok... take a Xanax!

You just keep flying in the face of the perception that Rush fans are generally brighte than the average rock fan.

I just can't believe that some of you are this upset about it! Obla deeeee obla daaaaa LIFE GOES ON.... BRAAAAAAAA......

I for one am not upset. I'm merely trying to make sense of the situation as there are clearly some plot holes. If you cannot grasp this or do not care fine, but let those of us trying to make sense of what is happening within the band do so.

Clearly you and Peart are clear as to his intentions. Unfortunately Geddy Lee obviously isn't.

I see a band that is DONE... Neil has stated his intentions, and Geddy continues to say that "things are great" I think Geddy is being delusional, you don't hear much from Alex.

Neil looks like he's retired to me, MUCH like Bill Bruford has retired! Although Bruford has put out a statement telling people of this fact!

IF they happen to put something together that may be the three of them playing in the future then BONUS...but as of this point, I'm waiting for stuff to start coming out that was sitting in a vault...old live stuff...some alternate takes etc... Not holding my breath

Edited by Jaminbenb

I see a band that is DONE... Neil has stated his intentions, and Geddy continues to say that "things are great" I think Geddy is being delusional, you don't hear much from Alex.

Neil looks like he's retired to me, MUCH like Bill Bruford has retired! Although Bruford has put out a statement telling people of this fact!

IF they happen to put something together that may be the three of them playing in the future then BONUS...but as of this point, I'm waiting for stuff to start coming out that was sitting in a vault...old live stuff...some alternate takes etc... Not holding my breath

:facepalm:

"I think Geddy is being delusional"

Right. Now we know where you stand can you please go stand in the corner wearing the nice hat with a letter D on it?

• Like 1