Least Favorite Rush Song Musically?

DirkPrattLerxst

Does Counterparts count?

Nope.

Counterparts amazingly devoid of any musical talent, so it is too bad to be considered.

Agreed.

Why do you hate it so much?

The worst lyrics of their career, clear pandering on boring music, and virtually nothing of merit from a song writing perspective. Just an atrocious album in every way other than the sound.

You're wrong but it's all good! :P

• Like 2

Cool on the Nugent thing;)......

Yeah I just feel NP struggles to be in the moment sometimes....years of being orchestrated can be tough to overcome. He would probably acknowledge that about himself.

No doubt. He's a very conscious drummer, which I think makes for very interesting and difficult drumming in a technical sense, and almost always effectively drives (and occasionally rescues) RUSH's music, but is not always as strong in terms of feel.

Cool on the Nugent thing;)......

Yeah I just feel NP struggles to be in the moment sometimes....years of being orchestrated can be tough to overcome. He would probably acknowledge that about himself.

No doubt. He's a very conscious drummer, which I think makes for very interesting and difficult drumming in a technical sense, and almost always effectively drives (and occasionally rescues) RUSH's music, but is not always as strong in terms of feel.

Yep. Neil's admitted it before in various interviews or his own writings that he's a very compositional drummer, rather than improvisational. Even his drum solos are for the most part, very composed - to great effect!

He did the thing in the 90's with Gruber and the Buddy Rich band to help him with improv, and I guess it's up to the listener to determine if he's gotten better at it. I think, wish-wash production aside, that Nick R. helped him out with that on recording, especially Clockwork Angels. It seems to be the one thing he's been trying to get better at, probably because he's a god at compositional drumming.