Least Favorite Rush Song Musically?

DirkPrattLerxst

Madrigal, by light years. Here again, Mystic Rhythms and The Way the Wind Blows mentioned before Madrigal? :eh:

What?!? Dude repent. Like now!

Blechhhh...

It's one giant :facepalm: of a song.

I'm not alone! :D

• Like 1

I have no use for Hold Your Fire or Presto other than skeet shooting targets. Pull! :bang bang:

Why? Musically, HYF and Presto are just as intricate and complex as any other Rush album. Just look at Lock and Key, or Show Don't Tell.

After all, we are talking musicality here, not personal likes and dislikes. You don't see me bashing CoS in this thread, do you? ;)

Edited by Disk98

malnar......it never worked for me ...easily their worst instrumental.....

I can't stand Neils drumbreaks even....they sound really really out to lunch.....

• Like 2

Does Counterparts count?

Stick It Out and Animate sure do.

Alright, Stick It Out I can understand. It's weird as hell by their standards.

Surprised by Animate, though. It's got some good riffs and drums and I dig the drum parts during the "foolish heart" bit.

• Like 3

I can't stand Neils drumbreaks even....they sound really really out to lunch.....

Scintillating analysis.

Scintillating analysis.

WTF!

MALNAR RULES! NEIL KILLS IT!

"Carve Away The DOG YEAR VET CONE" IS PURE PUPPY SHITE!

• Like 1

Does Counterparts count?

Surprised by Animate, though. It's got some good riffs and drums and I dig the drum parts during the "foolish heart" bit.

"Stick It Out" was just another song written for the Sign Of The Times. The song is good, the riff is grunge cliche just like the stupid video with the fake Chris Cornell in the hot set.

Lame.

Rush always tried to write songs to go with the cliche Sign Of The Times.

"Roll The Bones' is shit all the way around. Musically shite. Lyrically crap. "GET BUSY" NEIL!

Now that Neil is home with his beautiful wife he probably getting laid more than any rabid Rush fan.

Good for him!

Glad he retired.

"The Color Of Right" is Wrong.

Does Counterparts count?

Nope.

Counterparts is amazing. :D

Agreed.

To me it's their final masterpiece.

Musically, "Alien Shore" totally RULES!

Always wanted to hear that one live.

Definitely a masterpiece, but not their final. ;)

Scintillating analysis.

Ok analysis then....the song sounds like a decent enough bass riff with a decent enough drum groove...that's section A for "analysis"...then here comes the guitar sec B( which sounds mailed in)....a power chord...yawn....rise repeat....then some instumental breaks...sec C ....bass breaks...solid...drum breaks...not really working....a drummer not fully counting or figuring out where "1" is....striving for something they can't quite nail..while ignoring something that would fit..if you're going to take an extra count in a measure...make it count and be clear that a fill is going outside of the tunes regular time signature....that's what I'm saying. The breaks in YYZ worked....MalNar just does not.

Had a great drum instructor who told me one time if pressed for time and you can't dazzle with brillance then baffle with bullshit....those fills feel a lot like the latter....

TMMB and Speed of Love are both better songs than MalNar.....

BTW....Ted Nugent is a hack.

Edited by JBsDWdrums

Does Counterparts count?

Nope.

Counterparts amazingly devoid of any musical talent, so it is too bad to be considered.

Agreed.

Why do you hate it so much?

The worst lyrics of their career, clear pandering on boring music, and virtually nothing of merit from a song writing perspective. Just an atrocious album in every way other than the sound.

Counterparts was great....in parts....Cold Fire not one of their best....Double Agent was cool...Animate instant classic....Leave that thing alone crushes MalNar.....Stick it out is better than many give credit for....Alien Shore grooves without trying too hard.....

Scintillating analysis.

Ok analysis then....the song sounds like a decent enough bass riff with a decent enough drum groove...that's section A for "analysis"...then here comes the guitar sec B( which sounds mailed in)....a power chord...yawn....rise repeat....then some instumental breaks...sec C ....bass breaks...solid...drum breaks...not really working....a drummer not fully counting or figuring out where "1" is....striving for something they can't quite nail..while ignoring something that would fit..if you're going to take an extra count in a measure...make it count and be clear that a fill is going outside of the tunes regular time signature....that's what I'm saying. The breaks in YYZ worked....MalNar just does not.

Had a great drum instructor who told me one time if pressed for time and you can't dazzle with brillance then baffle with bullshit....those fills feel a lot like the latter....

TMMB and Speed of Love are both better songs than MalNar.....

BTW....Ted Nugent is a hack.

Interesting take. The song is loose, for sure. I think it's a refreshing change from some of Neil's overwritten drum arrangements. and as close to grooving as he tends to get.

BTW...The Nuge reference is an inside joke.

• Like 1

Does Counterparts count?

"Stick It Out" was just another song written for the Sign Of The Times. The song is good, the riff is grunge cliche just like the stupid video with the fake Chris Cornell in the hot set.

Lame.

Rush always tried to write songs to go with the cliche Sign Of The Times.

"Roll The Bones' is shit all the way around. Musically shite. Lyrically crap. "GET BUSY" NEIL!

Now that Neil is home with his beautiful wife he probably getting laid more than any rabid Rush fan.

Good for him!

Glad he retired.

"The Color Of Right" is Wrong.

:LOL:

Cool on the Nugent thing;)......

Yeah I just feel NP struggles to be in the moment sometimes....years of being orchestrated can be tough to overcome. He would probably acknowledge that about himself.

• Like 1