Rocinante

subdivisor

I think it's a reasonable assumption that choosing Rocinante as the name for a space ship may well have a Rush connection.
  • Like 4

Still, it could be a nod to Rush. It's a sci-fi show and obviously X-1 is a sci-fi song. Unless they are tilting at windmills in the show (haven't watched the latest episode yet).

The first episode's title was "Dulcinea". Another episode (only episode 7) that'll air this month is called "Windmills". It couldn't be a more obvious reference to Don Quixote than those two titles.

• Like 2

Still, it could be a nod to Rush. It's a sci-fi show and obviously X-1 is a sci-fi song. Unless they are tilting at windmills in the show (haven't watched the latest episode yet).

The first episode's title was "Dulcinea". Another episode (only episode 7) that'll air this month is called "Windmills". It couldn't be a more obvious reference to Don Quixote than those two titles.

ahhhhhh....I was not aware of those references....

ahhhhhh....I was not aware of those references....

Yeah me neither. But a ship named Rocinante needed a little looking into. Found that quickly.

Oh, and there's a character in the show named "Alex". Could be a Rush reference. ;)

• Like 1

It was also the name of Steinbeck's RV.

Cool, I didn't know Steinbeck was a Rush fan. ;)

excellent !

I was thinking the same thing!

• Like 1

I think it's a reasonable assumption that choosing Rocinante as the name for a space ship may well have a Rush connection.

However, if you did the logical thing, as I did, and looked the series up on Wikipedia you would know that there are two episodes that have references to Don Quixote in the title. It also helps to not just know your trivia that Rocinante is the name of Don Quixote's horse but to have also read the book. As I have.

• Like 1

Rocinante was Don Quixote's horse.

and your point is?

meaning it's not an exclusive invention of Rush

yeah, no shit.

but it's not a stretch to think that a space ship called rocinante might be a rush reference.

But presumptuous to assume it is fanboy.

Now I'm wondering why the show has so many Don Quixote references...

Now I'm wondering why the show has so many Don Quixote references...

Is the main character, any important object, or main theme anachronistic? I haven't seen the show or read the books where it's derived from but I'm guessing someone or something MUST be. The theme of anachronism seems much more likely than some writer simply liking Rush and wanting to cram in a spaceship named Rocinante.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

However, if you did the logical thing, as I did, and looked the series up on Wikipedia you would know that there are two episodes that have references to Don Quixote in the title. It also helps to not just know your trivia that Rocinante is the name of Don Quixote's horse but to have also read the book. As I have.

Well...arent you a literate fecker;)

• Like 1

Along with my 10th grade literature class :). No, it's a great one, esp as it bucks the English-dominant lit bias in Western education. I wish Terry Gilliam had gone through with his production.

• Like 1

It's still a reasonable assumption to have made, even if (and no one has shown this to be definitive), the assumption is wrong. All references to Rocinante will ultimately end up at Don Quixote, but it's possible that there was an additional reference to Rush in naming the space ship Rocinante.

• Like 3