Did You Like the Clockwork Angels String Ensemble?

DirkPrattLerxst

Did You Like the String Ensemble During the CA Tour?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Did You Like The Strings on the CA Tour?

• Yes
    • No

Put me in the "liked the added depth of sound" category. I do think it brought something different to the music.

I think it was a nice addition to the tour for (at least some of) the guys, also. In some Youtube interview somewhere (very definitive :D) I recall Geddy saying how nice it was to have other very accomplished musicians around on tour- they were interesting to talk to during meals and so forth; he enjoyed getting to know them.

• Like 2

I thought they were great. I actually think they were underused to a degree. Imagine if Geddy or Al actually wrote epic parts for the strings to perform, and kind of achieve the orchestral grandeur of Xanadu on CA. One can only think "what if"?
  • Like 3

F(#&% yes! I thought the ensemble was great. They added dimension to so many songs, and because of them I was able to really appreciate the Power Windows songs for the first time. Sure, Rush could have played those songs on their own, triggering the string samples, but it was much more "real" having the ensemble play them, and they did not detract from Rush's performance at all.

A++, would see again!

Hahahaha! You and I actually don't agree on something!!! I love it! I would NEVER see it again.

I'll take your tickets then :D

Hahaha! DEAL!

The strings gave us something new. Chicks onstage with Rush...hell hath frozen over

At least they didn't show up with Aimee Mann onstage. I would have had to walk out.

Yes. I give the guys credit for thinking outside the box in going with the strings. Some material came off stronger than others. Red Sector A was a high point for me.

Yes, I thought they did a great job on the Clockwork Angels songs, and the older songs, too (especially Red Sector A and YYZ).

I loved what they added to the songs with the exception of YYZ. I thought they were kind of distracting then.

But other than that one song...yeah, they were fantastic.

• Like 1

I thought it was cool to have live people playing those parts rather than a sequencer, or a tape...gave it a different feel... I just wish that they would have done Losing It on that tour, and possibly added them to a few other songs for a different dimension. Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 3

I didn't dislike them but they didn't add anything much to the songs either. I could take or leave them. If anything, I found them a visual distraction on stage. When I'm watching Rush, I just want to see three guys, not three guys and a small crowd behind them too sawing away on instruments.
  • Like 1

Very much so! They did a great job and added to the songs I feel. Yes, the band could've just triggered the string track, but having a real string ensemble there is better I think.
  • Like 4

Not particularly. Didn't hate them, but thought they were entirely redundant.

I thought they did a good job but I much prefer just seeing the 3 guys up there. And if they have someone else up there, I am fine if it's in much more of a limited capacity (like Losing It on the R40 tour).

• Like 1

I thought they did a good job but I much prefer just seeing the 3 guys up there. And if they have someone else up there, I am fine if it's in much more of a limited capacity (like Losing It on the R40 tour).

I can't imagine them ever getting away with having a string section years ago. (if they'd added one for effect) It's only because after this amount of time the fans are much more tolerant of what they do now.

• Like 1

I can't imagine them ever getting away with having a string section years ago. (if they'd added one for effect) It's only because after this amount of time the fans are much more tolerant of what they do now.

I'm honestly not sure what having the string ensemble does to detract from the show. It's not like the band was going to play the string parts by hand otherwise. If the ensemble didn't do it, it would've just been another pedal. Having real musicians there performing the parts live I think adds much more to the show than just another trigger. Just my two cents.

• Like 3

I'm honestly not sure what having the string ensemble does to detract from the show. It's not like the band was going to play the string parts by hand otherwise. If the ensemble didn't do it, it would've just been another pedal. Having real musicians there performing the parts live I think adds much more to the show than just another trigger. Just my two cents.

I agree completely. Plus, the ensemble were there for less than half the show, so they were by no means "taking over" or anything.

• Like 2