Did You Like the Clockwork Angels String Ensemble?

DirkPrattLerxst

Did You Like the String Ensemble During the CA Tour?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Did You Like The Strings on the CA Tour?

• Yes
    • No

What's the difference between Geddy and Alex futzing with the knobs at their feet (triggers, or whatever they are called) and having a string ensemble? :huh:

With all of the added bass and guitar and vocal parts triggered, they ceased a while back being "just a trio."

Geddy answered this in an interview decades ago. He said that there was something special about them triggering those devices themselves and being alone just the 3 of them up there. HE said there's a difference THEN. Obviously, he had a change of heart from that time.

My point was that the triggers - even though they were doing the triggering themselves - were still enhancing them and adding more than three men on stage can do.

What's the difference between Geddy and Alex futzing with the knobs at their feet (triggers, or whatever they are called) and having a string ensemble? :huh:

With all of the added bass and guitar and vocal parts triggered, they ceased a while back being "just a trio."

Geddy answered this in an interview decades ago. He said that there was something special about them triggering those devices themselves and being alone just the 3 of them up there. HE said there's a difference THEN. Obviously, he had a change of heart from that time.

My point was that the triggers - even though they were doing the triggering themselves - were still enhancing them and adding more than three men on stage can do.

I understood. And Geddy's answer which I briefly stated here covers that in the article.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

I liked them just fine but overall it really didn't increase my enjoyment of the show. I would have loved both shows I saw on that tour just as much if they weren't there. But I get why they did it. They probably wanted the songs to sound as close to the album as they could and that was the best way to do it.

Also, I didn't even realize that CA had that many string parts in it until they announced they were taking the ensemble on tour with them. And I love CA and played it a ton leading up to the tour.

• Like 2

F(#&% yes! I thought the ensemble was great. They added dimension to so many songs, and because of them I was able to really appreciate the Power Windows songs for the first time. Sure, Rush could have played those songs on their own, triggering the string samples, but it was much more "real" having the ensemble play them, and they did not detract from Rush's performance at all.

A++, would see again!

Hahahaha! You and I actually don't agree on something!!! I love it! I would NEVER see it again.

I'll take your tickets then :D

• Like 2

There's a big difference. All of the triggers were recorded by them in the first place. When you bring in a string ensemble it ceases to be just them.

EDIT: Sorry , didn't see that someone else had answered this the same way.

Edited by EagleMoon

Rush must have really wanted them because they weren't cheap. It must have cost Rush a lot of money to have them along for the entire CA tour.

yeah cuz they gotta eat and stuff. Motel 6 ain't free.
  • Like 1

Rush must have really wanted them because they weren't cheap. It must have cost Rush a lot of money to have them along for the entire CA tour.

My love for you grows with every post.
  • Like 1

:fistbump:
  • Like 1

Pretty sure you do these for a living right?

Pretty sure you do these for a living right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zGutgBmlk0&list=PLG_1q9IcA0pjaDZmNBOTiaeBDvjwZI-94

That gives a whole new angle to The Trees that I never considered.
  • Like 1

The strings gave us something new. Chicks onstage with Rush...hell hath frozen over

It forced Neil to be more polite and say excuse me when he farted.

Normally, the crew will say thank you--and mean it!

'Gump! get your ass over here and pull my finger!'
  • Like 1

The strings gave us something new. Chicks onstage with Rush...hell hath frozen over

'Gump! get your ass over here and pull my finger!'

See, you would fit right in with the road crew
  • Like 1

Micheal would always request to ride in front of Neil after seeing what he ate for breakfast. Cow pastures were nauseating enough without dealing with Neil's crop dusting.
  • Like 1

Micheal would always request to ride in front of Neil after seeing what he ate for breakfast. Cow pastures were nauseating enough without dealing with Neil's crop dusting.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2AwFdJgqOU

I'll have what they're having.

Rush are a band who could easily record a great album with an orchestra. So the strings were a great addition!

One of the best aspects of that tour! Shame we didn't get Losing It...

• Like 2