Oh No! An Aerosmith Thread! "ROCKS" OR "TOYS IN THE ATTIC!" Don't Let Your "Sweet Emotion" Detract You From Reality!

RUSHHEAD666

Get Your "ROCKS" Off Rush Forum! Or Do You Have Star Wars "Toys In The Attic" Like Me?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Are You On The "ROCKS" Or Do You Suck On a Ten inch Record In The Attic Of Clark W. Griswold?

• "ROCKS!"
    • "TOYS IN THE ATTIC!"

So!

I am not a huge Aerosmith fan but they are great! Well at least through their first three records! LOL! I hate all of that ballad shit that made them rich! "EAT THE RICH!"

I prefer KROKUS.

Anyway, which album do you adore the most?????

No bullshit. One or the other.

• Like 1

Rocks dude.

Rocks.

Yep!

I think "Toys" is great but you can already tell that they totally sold out. JMO

Aerosmith is a Ballad Band.

Sadly the Scorpions also went that direction too.

But don't get me wrong, I love tracks like "Holiday" and "Lady Starlight."

Rocks dude.

Rocks.

Yep!

I think "Toys" is great but you can already tell that they totally sold out. JMO

Maybe not sold out but sold their souls. Joe Perry said it best in Combination.

I found the secret, the key to the vault

We walked in darkness, kept hittin' the walls

I took the time, to feel for the door

I found the secret, the key to it all

• Like 1

Rocks dude.

Rocks.

Yep!

Maybe not sold out but sold their souls. Joe Perry said it best in Combination.

I found the secret, the key to the vault

We walked in darkness, kept hittin' the walls

I took the time, to feel for the door

I found the secret, the key to it all

Wow

That is just awesome DD!

Says it all!!!!

This is a hard choice, great back to back albums, but I've always enjoyed listening to "Toys in the Attic" more.

I get it. Just listened to "Toys." Either the record is too short or I really loved it.

Just go right from Toys to Rocks, wont notice a difference (well maybe)

• Like 1

This is a hard choice, great back to back albums, but I've always enjoyed listening to "Toys in the Attic" more.

I get it. Just listened to "Toys." Either the record is too short or I really loved it.

Just go right from Toys to Rocks, wont notice a difference (well maybe)

HAHAHA!

I get it! Hence my poll! Both of these albums RULE! :)

• Like 1

Toys, purely because of No More No More.

Both are mindblowers. From the debut to Night In The Ruts is a great run of albums.

Well stated my friend!

I must be nuts though! I never got into "Ruts!" It's the story of my life!

Both are flat-out excellent, and there isn't much difference between their respective levels of quality. I went with Rocks on the basis that it has the strongest track of the bunch (Back in the Saddle) and it doesn't have the weakest (Big Ten Inch Record).

I am not a huge Aerosmith fan but they are great! Well at least through their first three records!

But it seems like you voted for Rocks in this poll, and Rocks was their fourth album. It came after Toys.

I think Toys has the sound of a band that has arrived, not a band that has sold out. I don't think there was anything particularly radio friendly about Sweet Emotion's heavy riffs, Walk This Way's vocals, Uncle Salty's subject matter, the title track's dirty garage-band sound, or Round and Round's dark atmosphere.

It does have a song with a (great) poppy hook in No More No More, and it does have a (great) ballad in You See Me Crying, but I don't know if that amounts to selling out, and they didn't exactly ride those two tunes to the bank.

In any event, I think Toys-Rocks was their longest stretch of excellence. The debut was mostly awful. Wings was good, but they were still growing and getting their act together. Draw the Line had some great stuff but some terrible stuff too, and it was a huge drop-off from Rocks on the whole. Ruts was great... but there went Joe Perry.

I think Permanent Vacation was great too. It wasn't heavy on ballads, and most of the material still had an edge to it. But that was pretty much their last hurrah.

Edited by Cyclonus X-1
  • Like 3

Aerosmith was great up to, and including, Pump.

Toys is the more solid album. Not a single song of filler on that one. Rocks is a great album, but it's got some tracks I skip, Combination, Nobody's Fault. However, Back in the Saddle is my all time favorite Aerosmith tune.

Aerosmith was great up to, and including, Pump.

Toys is the more solid album. Not a single song of filler on that one. Rocks is a great album, but it's got some tracks I skip, Combination, Nobody's Fault. However, Back in the Saddle is my all time favorite Aerosmith tune.

I agree...

...there are some very high and some very low points on all the albums after "Get a Grip".

Sometimes I miss the days when bands recorded 10 songs per album and there was no filler.

You've got 75-80 minutes worth of space on a CD and Aerosmith has a bad habit of making 30 minutes of filler.

As I say often, their filler is still better than most of the rubbish that gets released these days by other bands.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

I may also be guilty of being such a big fan that I lose objectivity. :)

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 1

Real tough choice. Rocks is more consistent on the quality of material, but it's average quality line lies lower than side one of Toys, which is astounding. Side two of Toys kicks off with a bang in Sweet Emotion, but everything afterwards sounds like it was attempted by a band with three fewer albums of experience. Meanwhile, Back In The Saddle and Last Child are rare and worthy opponents for such incredible tracks as Walk This Way, Sweet Emotion, Toys In The Attic, and Uncle Salty, boasting the highest peaks of each album. In my opinion, Toys peaks faster and higher than Rocks but fizzles out afterwards, which I always found really disappointing, whereas Rocks requires a more concentrated listener to appreciate much of its greatness, but consistently Rocks for those who give it the time. Being a more in-depth listener, I voted Rocks, but I think Toys has the best side of music of them both (and the worst, sorry Sweet Emotion).

I also love what faint memories I have of listening to Music From Another Dimension. Being so young, Legendary Child is classic Aerosmith as far as I'm concerned.

From the debut to Night in the Ruts is most excellent bluesy rock......after that they stopped taking smack and became shite.

So the message to Joe and Steve is...get back on the H and start writing some quality stuff again :-)

Signed, Seasons of Wither

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1