Happy 36th Birthday Permanent Waves

Bigbobby10

36 years, that time has flown by. I can remember at 16 getting this and Hemispheres on the same day in late January 1980. My first introduction to Rush, with both albums sounding like nothing I had ever heard before.... Classics. Great stuff.
  • Like 4

Happy aBirthday to an album i missed out on buying when it first came out mainly because i wasn't all that keen on Spirit of Radio(still not).Happy Birthday to my sister also.

Hemispheres will always be my favourite Rush album, but in second place... Permanent Waves, no doubt. When I first heard Natural Science, I nearly lost my shit. I remember running (okay, walking fast) from Treble Clef music store in Ottawa with that damn vinyl record under my arm. When I got home, I must have played it 6 times over and over...
  • Like 5

Permanent Waves was the first new Rush album after I'd become a fan. I have great memories of listening to it back then, with my brother. :)

It is definitely one of my favourite Rush albums.

• Like 3

I just remember hearing the opening guitar of Spirit of Radio for the first time. i sat bolt upright in my chair, lol

What an attention get-er, lol

Mick

Definitely.

Freewill and the whole of Natural Science did that for me, too. And then Jacob's Ladder is on another plane altogether.

• Like 2

I just remember hearing the opening guitar of Spirit of Radio for the first time. i sat bolt upright in my chair, lol

Mick

Definitely.

Freewill and the whole of Natural Science did that for me, too. And then Jacob's Ladder is on another plane altogether.

how does 3 dudes.......that young at the time........make a record like that.

astounding.

Mick

• Like 3

Mick

Definitely.

how does 3 dudes.......that young at the time........make a record like that.

astounding.

Mick

Haha...they were seasoned veterans at that point, too...at the age of 26, 27...

It really is mind-boggling, though.

I think the same thing about Hemispheres and A Farewell to Kings, too.

• Like 3

Natural Science is my favorite song from Permanent Waves.

Same here. It is my favorite Rush album. Love the whole thing start to finish but Natural Science still blows my mind every time.

• Like 3

Seriously, did radio stations play Spirit Of Radio before the official Jan 1st release ??

I vividly remember sitting in the front seat of the car as my Dad drove me to a guitar lesson one night ( one of 2 ill-fated lessons ) ... anyways, I was dreading the fact that I'd be learning the basic chords to Blowin' In The Wind, and as we were at a stop sign, the DJ says

"And now, the new one from . . . RUSH"

There was that brief moment of silence before the song began, and I remember holding my breath in anticipation

As the flanged-out opening notes of The Spirit Of Radio, I was like OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAH !!!!!!!!!

:D

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 4

I started getting into Rush when Signals came out (it was my first Rush album). Around Thanksgiving of 1982 I acquired Moving Pictures and Exit... Stage Left. For Christmas I got a gift certificate to Record World, so on New Years Day of my Christmas vacation my buddy and I went Record World to buy a new Rush album. I vividly remember wanting to buy them in reverse order so I was looking at the backs of the album, trying find the album that came out before Moving Pictures in 1981. When I went to the register this older guy rang me up (he was probably college age, but I was 14 at the time so he seemed like an adult to me). When he saw that I was buying Permanent Waves he explained to me I was buying the album on it's 3rd birthday. So it was 33 years ago today I bought Permanent Waves :codger: Edited by Scooch
  • Like 2

Natural Science is my favorite song from Permanent Waves.

Mine too :cheers:

Mick

How could it not be? One of there best ever , imo.

Also, 36 years? Fk where has my life gone?

• Like 1