Lemmy is dead

bathory

BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi spoke to BBC Midlands Today about the pasing of iconic MOTÖRHEAD frontman Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister, who died on Monday (December 28) at the age of 70 after a brief struggle with cancer.

On how he will remember Lemmy:

Tony: "I think Lemmy is the epitome of rock and roll. He's always lived a wild lifestyle. It's the whole thing: sex, drugs and rock and roll. And he really lived that life, and he loved it."

On whether it's true Lemmy drank a bottle of Jack Daniel's whiskey a day:

Tony: "He did. He drank a bottle of Jack Daniel's. On tour… They [MOTÖRHEAD] toured with us many, many times — probably thirty times — over the [years]. And we used to have to do his rider, 'cause they'd have to present their rider to us of what they're gonna eat and drink. And there was never any food; it was always two bottles of Jack Daniel's, two bottles of vodka, a couple of cases of beer. And that was them; that's the way they were. And they didn't pull any punches; people knew how they lived. And they really did live that lifestyle."

On how long he's known Lemmy:

Tony: "Since the early '70s. Maybe even before that. I mean, we met up in a studio in Wales, and he was with HAWKWIND then, I think. And then I hadn't seen him for a while after that. And then we started doing tours together — you know, MOTÖRHEAD and SABBATH — and it happened that every tour we seemed to be doing, MOTÖRHEAD was on it. [Laughs] In all the different incarnations of SABBATH — from the Ozzy [Osbourne] period, Ronnie James Dio, Ian Gillan — it was always MOTÖRHEAD with us. Which was great. I mean, they were really a fun bunch and a really nice gang of… really nice band, you know."

On the possibility of next year's Download festival in the U.K. featuring a tribute to Lemmy:

Tony: "I would certainly hope so. Absolutely. I mean, that guy has done so much for music. He's offered a style that nobody was doing, and he loved every minute… He loved his fans, he loved what he did, and he's always been true to… There was no airs and graces about Lemmy. He lived very modestly. He lived in Los Angeles, off Sunset Strip, in a little flat. He loved it. He wasn't there that often anyway. He was always down a club in Los Angeles called the Rainbow, and he absolutely loved playing on machines, one-arm bandits. And that's what he did. If he was off [the road], most time you'd find Lemmy down at the Rainbow on the machine, absorbed with it. He loved it."

On the sad parallel between Lemmy and Iommi in that Tony is also battling cancer:

Tony: "Yeah, it really is. Every time one of my friends go, and it's that. It's, 'Oh, God!' You don't know how far away you are from it. But you just plod on. And I'm still here. And, unfortunately, he was saying that not long back — that he's still here and all ready to go out and tour. And that's the thing with him. He'll tour even when… When we were on tour, I never saw Lemmy ever cancel a show — except once, when we were in Los Angeles and they were on tour with us. He was that ill that they had to cancel the show. Otherwise, never. And just recently, because he's had to cancel shows, that's unlike him. He would go on when he was, like, really ill, and he has done. And, you know, you've gotta take your hat off to him. He was a real trooper. Absolutely."

• Like 4

Motörhead guitarist Phil Campbell turned up at a Cardiff rock bar to pay tribute to Lemmy

Phil, from Pontypridd, shared the stage with the late, larger-than-life Motörhead frontman for 31 years

http://i2.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article10667630.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/PicMonkey-Collage-Phil-edited.jpg

Motörhead guitarist Phil Campbell last night joined fans at Cardiff rock club Fuel to celebrate the life of rock ‘n’ roll icon Lemmy.

Phil, from Pontypridd , shared the stage with the larger-than-life Motörhead frontman for 31 years, after joining the group in 1984.

The guitarist was pictured with friends at the bar on Womanby Street in the city centre, including Matthew Pritchard from Dirty Sanchez, music producer Romesh Dodangoda and Motörhead’s long-time tour driver Phil (Ronaldo) O’Neil.

Earlier in the day, as news emerged of the rocker’s death from cancer, aged 70, Fuel put out the word for fans to come down to the club to pay tribute to the musician, and even offered a deal on Lemmy’s favourite drink – Jack Daniels.

http://i3.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article10667332.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/DOR_ECH_301215Lemmy_03.jpg

A post on the club’s Facebook page read: “Join us tonight to celebrate the life Ian ‘Lemmy’ Kilmister – the man, the legend, the rocker. Buy a single JD and we’ll make it a double.”

Read more: Motörhead frontman Lemmy dies aged 70

Phil said: “My mates Pritchard and Ronaldo rang me up to get me out of the house and away from my phone for a few hours to listen to a few Motörhead tunes in homage to Lemmy.

'Life won't be the same'

“I was home by 10pm as Lem always insisted I should be back by 10pm and last night was no exception!”

CXYct47WkAAA55P.jpg

In a tweet earlier that day Phil had posted: “My dear friend and brother passed away yesterday. Life won't be the same. Thanks for all the well wishes. PLAY IT LOUD.”

Writing on his Facebook page this afternoon, Phil said: “Unfortunately by now everyone reading this post will have found out that Motörhead is no longer. I’m still trying to come to terms with everything but I’ve been totally overwhelmed with the well wishes and stories about how Lemmy & Motörhead affected people’s lives.

“I genuinely would like to thank everyone who’s supported Motörhead over the last 40 years. Please turn it up to 11 and celebrate Lemmy’s life to the full.”

http://i4.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article10667587.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Phil-edited-pic.jpg

Bar owner Rob Toogood said: "We wouldn't usually be open but as Cardiff's only rock bar we had to open our doors to honour Lemmy.

He added: "It was great to see Phill. We went through a fair bit of JD on the night. The plan was to stay open to midnight but in the end we stayed open to 2am."

The wider music world also paid tribute to Lemmy, who passed away after a short battle with what was described as an “extremely aggressive cancer”.

Acquired nickname at Anglesey school

Ozzy Osbourne said he had lost one of his best friends and Queen guitarist Brian May described him as “an utterly unique friend.”

Lemmy only received the cancer diagnosis on Boxing Day, the band had said in a statement on the Motörhead Facebook page.

The hell-raising rocker born Ian Fraser Kilmister spent his teenage years living with his family on Anglesey , and it was at Ysgol Syr Thomas Jones school in Amlwch where he picked up the instantly recognisable nickname Lemmy.

His death comes little more than a month since that of the band’s first drummer Phil “Philthy Animal” Taylor. Lemmy himself led tributes to the 61-year-old rocker, who died on November 11.

http://i1.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article8917956.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/lem.jpg

Ex-Motörhead guitarist “Fast” Eddie Clarke, who played with the heavy metal group between 1976 to 1982, said on Facebook: “I have just been told that Lemmy has passed away in LA. Like Phil, he was like a brother to me. I am devastated. We did so much together, the three of us.

Read more: Rock royalty lead tributes to Lemmy who dies aged 70

“The world seems a really empty place right now. I am having trouble finding the words ... He will live on in our hearts. R.I.P Lemmy!”

http://i3.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article10660342.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/lemmy-2.jpg

• Like 2

Steve Vai's message about Lemmy's passing is quite moving as well.

I just remembered I used to own "No Sleep 'til Hammersmith" on vynil, but have no idea where it is. A strong contender for best metal live album of all time...and what a great title!

Edited by Rod in Rio

I called it. I f***ing knew it was going to happen..... I knew by how deathly thin he looked in the beginning of this year when he performed onstage with the Foo Fighters, that if he made the entire year I'd be surprised....It's sad to see that I was right :(

We lost two very good bassists this year to cancer, Lemmy and Chris Squire of Yes...

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/200wtf_zps8860ce38.gif

Agreed. No need for gloating about predicting someone dying.

You honestly think I'm f***ing HAPPY about it? f**k NO.

It's not what you said, you over sensitive goon, it is how you said it.

Sheesh for someone who cries at everything anyone ever says about you, maybe once in a while you could look at your own posts and try for yourself this little thing called tact.

You sounded almost gloating in your post.

I'm all for busting fraroc's balls (?) all the time, but this isn't really the thread for it

No one is trying to bust anyone's balls BUT, if I think someone is using someone's death to brag about some prediction they allegedly made I'm probably going to call them out on it. If they used poor wording that's on them.

I agree with Bathory's sentiments, I just wanted to point out that the death of such a beloved icon, especially after a rough couple of years healthwise, is not something to gloat about. It was disgusting to read, but sorry for drawing attention to it guys, this is a really sad day and I will just say this:

:rose:

(For Lemmy, not Fray Fray)

Segue, all I pointed out was that I expected it to happen some time this year. If you've seen Motörhead footage from this year, the poor guy was a skeleton towards the end. It really is a sad situation and I do not like the fact that I was right.

I understand what you meant, he looked like an old man who was about to croak and you suspected he might not last long. it's not particularly offensive, you just express yourself in a certain way and I'm sure you're aware of how that, er, annoys some. forget about it and turn up some Motörhead

No shit!

I love this fukking forum but man the Drama Queens love to roll around in their shit and spray it everywhere!

Yeah I know!

I'm a Queen too! BUT DAMN! LEMMY RULES! HE WILL LIVE FOREVER!!!!

CRANK MOTORHEAD AND BITCHES SHUT THE FUKK UP!

Show some respect to the MAN!

I'm signing off now. I'm single now.

TIME FOR SOME "ORGASMATRON!"

I've never had an orgasm to "Tron."

UGH!

Jeez guys, why is this still an issue? He said it in a way that put a couple of us off. We pointed it out. He has since said its not what he meant. Maybe let it go now? Let's just have it be about lemmy.

• Like 1

I called it. I f***ing knew it was going to happen..... I knew by how deathly thin he looked in the beginning of this year when he performed onstage with the Foo Fighters, that if he made the entire year I'd be surprised....It's sad to see that I was right :(

We lost two very good bassists this year to cancer, Lemmy and Chris Squire of Yes...

Sheesh for someone who cries at everything anyone ever says about you, maybe once in a while you could look at your own posts and try for yourself this little thing called tact.

I'm all for busting fraroc's balls (?) all the time, but this isn't really the thread for it

No one is trying to bust anyone's balls BUT, if I think someone is using someone's death to brag about some prediction they allegedly made I'm probably going to call them out on it. If they used poor wording that's on them.

I agree with Bathory's sentiments, I just wanted to point out that the death of such a beloved icon, especially after a rough couple of years healthwise, is not something to gloat about. It was disgusting to read, but sorry for drawing attention to it guys, this is a really sad day and I will just say this:

Segue, all I pointed out was that I expected it to happen some time this year. If you've seen Motörhead footage from this year, the poor guy was a skeleton towards the end. It really is a sad situation and I do not like the fact that I was right.

I understand what you meant, he looked like an old man who was about to croak and you suspected he might not last long. it's not particularly offensive, you just express yourself in a certain way and I'm sure you're aware of how that, er, annoys some. forget about it and turn up some Motörhead

No shit!

I love this fukking forum but man the Drama Queens love to roll around in their shit and spray it everywhere!

Yeah I know!

UGH!

“This entire generation seems to have become pussies, you know? Nobody seems to enjoy themselves much anymore.They are all knocking each other down for enjoying themselves.”

Lemmy

• Like 1

No shit!

Yeah I know!

UGH!

“This entire generation seems to have become pussies, you know? Nobody seems to enjoy themselves much anymore.They are all knocking each other down for enjoying themselves.”

Lemmy

Micro aggressions!

• Like 1

Steve Vai's message about Lemmy's passing is quite moving as well.

I just remembered I used to own "No Sleep 'til Hammersmith" on vynil, but have no idea where it is. A strong contender for best metal live album of all time...and what a great title!

Here it is:

Legendary guitarist Steve Vai has paid tribute to iconic MOTÖRHEAD frontman Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister, who died on Monday (December 28) at the age of 70 after a brief struggle with cancer.

Vai wrote on his Facebook page: "Lemmy was unique in the superlative sense of the word. Everyone loved him. He was the heart of rock and roll the way we like it.

"I ran into him at the Rainbow Bar And Grill [in West Hollywood] once and said to him, 'So when are you going to ask me to play a solo on a MOTÖRHEAD record?'

"He said, 'I'll be at your house Wednesday at noon.'

"It only took a few hours to do the solos but the two of us just sat and talked for about ten hours after that.

"He consumed a hefty amount of alcohol and speed but never once stuttered, lilted or missed an opportunity for an inspired bit of wit.

"He was sharp, alert and extraordinarily present at ALL times. I couldn't quite understand it.

"The record I recorded on was 'Inferno' and some days later Lemmy sent me an engraved lighter. How cool, ay?

"The stories he told were fascinating and I got to know the remarkable person he was. I discovered why so many of us adore and revere him.

"Lemmy marched to the beat of his own drums. His confidence in himself and his music was fierce and he was perhaps the most honest person I knew in this business. Because he was so in touch with himself, he allowed others to be themselves without judging them. He didn't placate or sugar-coat things but delivered to you the reflection of your own intentions, meaning if you're an asshole, you better be prepared to be verbally spanked with an inspired array of adjectives delivered with a firm, yet high quality calm. But if your morals were worth the salt, he was incredibly warm, considerate, generous and supportive. He gave you his quality attention when you were talking with him and that's the best gift you can give to anyone. We loved him because he inspired in us our own desire to be as independent and dedicated to our work as he was. And he did it with an incredibly solid, rounded, and grounded sense of confidence, warmth and wit. Not to mention he played his ass off in the tradition of hard, fast, no excuses rock and roll with a look, voice and bass sound unlike anything. He was a totally invested performer whose authenticity was epic. Even the way his microphone hung from above him will be historically recognizable. He was 'the One… ALONE.'

"I wrote a song with him and Ozzy [Osbourne] called 'My Little Man' that appears on Ozzy's 'Ozzmosis' record. Lemmy wrote the lyrics. If you listen to the lyrics of that song, you can glean an insight into the deep softness that was comfortably resting under the external persona. The song is deeply touching and when I met his son Paul, I realized how sincere those lyrics are.

"I remember when my wife Pia met him and had an opportunity to 'kiss the mole' on his cheek.

"I was fortunate enough to be invited to perform for him at the Whisky for his 70th birthday party that took place December 2015 just a few weeks before he passed. I shared riffs with Bob Kulick and Lemmy's son Paul, who is really quite a good guitar player. After the show, I went to see Lemmy where he sat in the balcony all night. He was shockingly thin and frail, but still had that steady awareness of all that was going on in the world around him. I held his shaking hand, told him how nice it was to jam with his son, and then I kissed his hand and said, 'God bless you, my brother, and thank you.'

"There are times when you know you will be saying goodbye to someone for the last time in this life, and though there was a sadness, with Lemmy it was a heartfelt salute and a momentary exchange of deep respect and joy in the knowing of each other.

"He was the coolest and wherever his attention is right now, he still is.

"Lemmy, you were extraordinary and we are grateful."

• Like 2

oh boy f***ing gutted. Bradford St George's hall 86, Orgasmatron tour. First Motorhead show loud as f**k, ears still ringing two weeks later. Seen them many times since since. Lemmy looked wicked frail at Hyde Park in London Summer 2014 I was kind of shocked. My heroes are starting to go and I dont f***ing like it.
  • Like 5

oh boy f***ing gutted. Bradford St George's hall 86, Orgasmatron tour. First Motorhead show loud as f**k, ears still ringing two weeks later. Seen them many times since since. Lemmy looked wicked frail at Hyde Park in London Summer 2014 I was kind of shocked. My heroes are starting to go and I dont f***ing like it.

Yep more proof that Motorhead is the loudest band on the planet.

Even Deep Purple sounds like One Direction compared to MOTORHEAD. JMO

JUST MY ORGASMATRON!

Jack Daniels company is in mourning too...sales collapse

Here's to Lemmy... :cheers:

Actually, it's probably the exact opposite. All those fans pouring one out in his honor.

• Like 1

Actually, it's probably the exact opposite. All those fans pouring one out in his honor.

I gotta tell ya, Jack Daniels is not that good a whiskey.

• Like 2

It'll take a lot of people to drink more than Lemmy has. :LOL:

• Like 3

CWl4Z7qWsAAryLV.jpg

Hahaha!!! Brilliant!

• Like 2

3:20-3-40 makes me FUKKING grin like a fool!

• Like 2

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YqJWVJwgLJg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YqJWVJwgLJg

I WANT MOORE! I mean I want MORE!

That was just incredible.

Lemmy truly is a frigging LEGEND.

Man, I love his bass tone! KICK ASS. No one will ever sound or be like him!

Damn this pisses me off.

Why does mankind have to be "immortal for a limited time?"

Perhaps it's a blessing.

Or a curse.....................

• Like 1

I gotta tell ya, Jack Daniels is not that good a whiskey.

I have the Sinatra blend Jack dude and it's hard to drink. Even slowly with an ice cube.

Jack Daniels should make a Lemmy mix. "The Jack Of Spades"

Fukk, I should get into marketing.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666