Within Temptation Thread

Verena

Whole World Is Watching is easily one of my favourite WT songs, and their best album closer since Somewhere (and maybe even better than that!).

I love the live version on the DVD where Sharon sings it by herself. Is there a studio version of that anywhere? I don't care much for the guest male vocals.

• Like 2

Whole World Is Watching is easily one of my favourite WT songs, and their best album closer since Somewhere (and maybe even better than that!).

I love the live version on the DVD where Sharon sings it by herself. Is there a studio version of that anywhere? I don't care much for the guest male vocals.

The male vocals are a big part of why I love it!

The song has a strong and optimistic message.

The whole of Hydra does.

I hated Hydra for so long, then it clicked with me and it went from the bottom to the near top!

If it becomes my favourite, I wouldn't be surprised. I haven't played The Silent Force or Heart in a long time!

The Unforgiving is a smashing album that always misses a little something that the other albums have forms.

I also really love the Q Music Sessions! Great pop covers! I love their cover of Bruno Mars Grenade a lot!

Hydra is an album that requires more listening to get the audience into. It isn't so direct to "speak" to someone.

But it's very good, really.

• Like 1

I posted the wrong reply here before. My correct answer is I don't know. Maybe in the demo version you can hear it, but I have no clue where it is. Edited by rhyv

The song has a strong and optimistic message.

The whole of Hydra does.

I hated Hydra for so long, then it clicked with me and it went from the bottom to the near top!

If it becomes my favourite, I wouldn't be surprised. I haven't played The Silent Force or Heart in a long time!

The Unforgiving is a smashing album that always misses a little something that the other albums have forms.

I also really love the Q Music Sessions! Great pop covers! I love their cover of Bruno Mars Grenade a lot!

Hydra is an album that requires more listening to get the audience into. It isn't so direct to "speak" to someone.

But it's very good, really.

I adore it. A real pick me up album if I feel low or depressed!

Actually, WT are splendid for sad times!

• Like 1

Well, I love Evanescence as well so go troll go!

While you are at it, throw in some Alter Bridge as well..

I honestly got the two confused :LOL:

I find them as easy to confuse as early Yes and Tull.

Next.

-.- *Enter* : It's the first album, still trying to find the sound, a bit repetitive.

Although, there are the permanent elements and themes: war, human nature, fantasy, life and death. Favorite songs: Restless, Enter, Pearls of Light, Gatekeeper, Candles. Some versions include The Dance EP, so I can include The Dance, Another Day and The Other Half as precious ones too.

-.- *Mother Earth* : Here we listen the orchestra and metal thing, the band grows. Mother Earth, Ice Queen, Caged, Deceiver of Fools and Dark Wings are great tracks.

-.- *The Silent Force* : the album is a gem, since the first track till the last. Personally, I favorite all songs. :)

Orchestra and voices are the base for other instruments. Very classical.

-.- *The Heart of Everything* : It's among my favorites too. Here there's a different direction, where we listen more guitar riffs, but still in their style. Favorite tracks: The Howling, What Have You Done, Frozen, Our Solemn Hour, The Heart of Everything, Hand of Sorrow, The Cross, The Truth Beneath The Rose and Forgiven.

(that's all for now)

• Like 2

-.- *Enter* : It's the first album, still trying to find the sound, a bit repetitive.

Although, there are the permanent elements and themes: war, human nature, fantasy, life and death. Favorite songs: Restless, Enter, Pearls of Light, Gatekeeper, Candles. Some versions include The Dance EP, so I can include The Dance, Another Day and The Other Half as precious ones too.

-.- *Mother Earth* : Here we listen the orchestra and metal thing, the band grows. Mother Earth, Ice Queen, Caged, Deceiver of Fools and Dark Wings are great tracks.

-.- *The Silent Force* : the album is a gem, since the first track till the last. Personally, I favorite all songs. :)

Orchestra and voices are the base for other instruments. Very classical.

-.- *The Heart of Everything* : It's among my favorites too. Here there's a different direction, where we listen more guitar riffs, but still in their style. Favorite tracks: The Howling, What Have You Done, Frozen, Our Solemn Hour, The Heart of Everything, Hand of Sorrow, The Cross, The Truth Beneath The Rose and Forgiven.

(that's all for now)

I hate to say it, but nothing off of Enter or The Dance suits my palate. It really sounds like a lot of nineties doom/goth, and Sharon was still finding her voice.

Mother Earth is a really beautiful album, but I prefer the songs live. The album itself sounds like a low budget eighties record, with Kate Bush fronting a metal band. Great album, but sort of odd as well.

The Silent Force was my introduction, and what a masterpiece! Truly one of the best records I have ever heard, and the artwork is suitably gorgeous as well. Every song is a classic to my ears, and that includes all the B-Sides (Jane For especially!). Pale, It's The Fear and See Who I Am are the highlights for me off the main album, but the whole damn thing is perfection.

The Heart Of Everything is bombastic, symphonic metal perfection, one of the craziest albums I have ever heard, and the band sound delightfully unaware that their music is cheesier than actual cheese. Brilliant, beautiful, barmy...huge fan! But the odd silly lyric really let's it down in places (What Have You Done is the worst offender...I really like it though!). The Cross, Hand Of Sorrow and The Truth Beneath The Rose are my favourites. But I cannot NOT mention The Howling. What a CHOOOON!

The Unforgiving is, on the surface, another classic. But sadly, for me, I enjoy it when I play it, but little stays with me once the music is over. One of the best albums I own in many ways, but the two preceding records suit my fancy that much more. But don't take this as a negative, it is a phenomenal, eighties metal and pop inspired blast of anthemic glory!

Hydra is easily top three WT for me, a truly beautiful, anthemic record with a real pulsating heart that is fit to burst, its so joyous! Like The Silent Force I love every song, but whilst no songs come close to being as "weak" as the least satisfying moments on The Heart Of Everything, it is still slightly below that classic due to the fact I am not convinced the highs are quite as high as that 2007 classic.

And all the live DVD's are great. Get them all, maybe even before you buy an album!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

I hate to say it, but nothing off of Enter or The Dance suits my palate. It really sounds like a lot of nineties doom/goth, and Sharon was still finding her voice.

Mother Earth is a really beautiful album, but I prefer the songs live. The album itself sounds like a low budget eighties record, with Kate Bush fronting a metal band. Great album, but sort of odd as well.

The Silent Force was my introduction, and what a masterpiece! Truly one of the best records I have ever heard, and the artwork is suitably gorgeous as well. Every song is a classic to my ears, and that includes all the B-Sides (Jane For especially!). Pale, It's The Fear and See Who I Am are the highlights for me off the main album, but the whole damn thing is perfection.

The Heart Of Everything is bombastic, symphonic metal perfection, one of the craziest albums I have ever heard, and the band sound delightfully unaware that their music is cheesier than actual cheese. Brilliant, beautiful, barmy...huge fan! But the odd silly lyric really let's it down in places (What Have You Done is the worst offender...I really like it though!). The Cross, Hand Of Sorrow and The Truth Beneath The Rose are my favourites. But I cannot NOT mention The Howling. What a CHOOOON!

The Unforgiving is, on the surface, another classic. But sadly, for me, I enjoy it when I play it, but little stays with me once the music is over. One of the best albums I own in many ways, but the two preceding records suit my fancy that much more. But don't take this as a negative, it is a phenomenal, eighties metal and pop inspired blast of anthemic glory!

Hydra is easily top three WT for me, a truly beautiful, anthemic record with a real pulsating heart that is fit to burst, its so joyous! Like The Silent Force I love every song, but whilst no songs come close to being as "weak" as the least satisfying moments on The Heart Of Everything, it is still slightly below that classic due to the fact I am not convinced the highs are quite as high as that 2007 classic.

And all the live DVD's are great. Get them all, maybe even before you buy an album!

I grew up in the 90's, so this kind of sound is natural to me. I love the doom/ goth elements of the first works. I do agree Sharon was still find her voice and the band, getting their own style too.

Mother Earth is my less favorite. But I appreciate the songs I told on last post. They tried to do a "new age thing"; as you said, it sounds weird.

(I won't post about the other albums today. :LOL: )

• Like 1

So after a good ten years, Mother Earth finally clicked with me as a complete album. I still think the album lacks a certain flow, an argument I cannot say I have with any other WT album, but the songs are all terrific!

Dark Wings, Never ending Story, Caged, The Promise, Mother Earth and Ice Queen are classics!

And the production fits the songs beautifully, even if I do still find myself enjoying the live performances more. But that is not fair, the album itself is obviously a classic, it sounds great mixed with Oceanborn, Nighttime Birds and Unleashed Memories!

• Like 1

Glad you're enjoying Mother Earth so much and finally realizing how special the album is. Welcome to what i've known for over a decade now :D

The version of The Silent Force I have includes Jane Doe and Destroyed as bonus tracks. Both are very good songs. I guess the album was so good that there wasn't enough room for them to be on the official release. I'm not sure what release I have though? I bought it when I was in Toronto in the spring of 2005.

I remember I kept checking the local record stores for it but I could never find it. I had Mother Earth already, so I knew their albums were for sale over here. For no particular reason my friend and I decided to take a trip to Toronto one day and I found The Silent Force at a record store there.

I had to travel to another country but I finally got the album :dweez:

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Glad you're enjoying Mother Earth so much and finally realizing how special the album is. Welcome to what i've known for over a decade now :D

The version of The Silent Force I have includes Jane Doe and Destroyed as bonus tracks. Both are very good songs. I guess the album was so good that there wasn't enough room for them to be on the official release. I'm not sure what release I have though? I bought it when I was in Toronto in the spring of 2005.

I remember I kept checking the local record stores for it but I could never find it. I had Mother Earth already, so I knew their albums were for sale over here. For no particular reason my friend and I decided to take a trip to Toronto one day and I found The Silent Force at a record store there.

I had to travel to another country but I finally got the album :dweez:

Jane Doe was apparently a leftover from Mother Earth. There are other bonus tracks, I think I will sit down sometime and post a list of every non album song. All are terrific!

As for Mother Earth, it used to make me cringe. The hippy friendly fantasy vibe reeked of cheese, and it really is a totally odd album in the whole of their discography! But now that I am older, and have listened to so much music from all over the map, I have come to really appreciate it!

I don't hold out much for what came before Mother Earth, as it all sounds very generic of many better bands of the nineties. But I think Mother Earth shares a lot of the same sense of wonder that Mandylion has, and in a way it is sad the band never quite recreated the vibe of Mother Earth on subsequent albums.

I loved The Silent Force so much, Mother Earth was just too different for me to accept at the time.

I still think every album from Mother Earth onwards is a classic, with The Unforgiving ranking the lowest.

But anyway, let me get back to you on all the B-Sides. All were album worthy!

• Like 1

Enter B-Side:

Restless (Classical Version)

Mother Earth B-Sides:

World Of Make Believe

Believer (Ice Queen demo)

Jane Doe*

Silent Force B-Sides:

Say My Name

Overcome

Towards The End

Destroyed

Jane Doe*

A Dangerous Mind

The Swan Song

The Unforgiving B-Sides:

Blue Eyes

Sounds Of Freedom

The Last Time

The Unforgiving B-Sides:

I Don't Wanna

Empty Eyes

The Last Dance

Hydra Demos:

Keep On Breathing

One Of Those Days

Living On Fire

Non-album Singles:

Running Up That Hill (Kate Bush cover)

Utopia

*Seems to have been included as a part of both era's

Edited by Segue Myles

Ice Queen and Mother Earth were the first songs I ever heard from them. For a while that was the only album I had from them since it took me a bit to get my hands on The Silent Force. So, the album has a special place with me since it was the only one I could listen to from them for about a year or so.

A bit Cheesy? My friend who's a fan says the same thing about Mother Earth but I never really heard it. Musically and lyrically I wasn't listening to anything that sounded like them at the time, so it was all great and different to me.

2003/2004 was a really fun time for me musically, discovering Evanescence, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish and Within Temptation.

• Like 1

Ice Queen and Mother Earth were the first songs I ever heard from them. For a while that was the only album I had from them since it took me a bit to get my hands on The Silent Force. So, the album has a special place with me since it was the only one I could listen to from them for about a year or so.

A bit Cheesy? My friend who's a fan says the same thing about Mother Earth but I never really heard it. Musically and lyrically I wasn't listening to anything that sounded like them at the time, so it was all great and different to me.

2003/2004 was a really fun time for me musically, discovering Evanescence, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish and Within Temptation.

I discovered those bands around 2005/06!

And the cheesy element for me is derived from the almost Broadway style bombast, the often rather twee lyrics and the very Kate Bush like vocals (this is the album that most sounds like her, which for a while was a bit of a turn off). The Neverending Story was for the longest time so grating, I had to skip it. But these feelings are the same I used to hold against pre-Century Child Nightwish. Altogether, only Lacuna Coil and The Gathering released records which did not phase me lyrically (although Shallow Life came close, but this was later on!).

I still maintain, though, that the album with the worst lyrics The Heart Of Everything. Seriously, I love the album but What Have You Done and Our Solemn Hour are major duds if one was boring enough to over analyse. But in the world of WT, they are both awesome!

• Like 1

And the cheesy element for me is derived from the almost Broadway style bombast, the often rather twee lyrics and the very Kate Bush like vocals (this is the album that most sounds like her, which for a while was a bit of a turn off). The Neverending Story was for the longest time so grating, I had to skip it. But these feelings are the same I used to hold against pre-Century Child Nightwish. Altogether, only Lacuna Coil and The Gathering released records which did not phase me lyrically (although Shallow Life came close, but this was later on!).

I still maintain, though, that the album with the worst lyrics The Heart Of Everything. Seriously, I love the album but What Have You Done and Our Solemn Hour are major duds if one was boring enough to over analyse. But in the world of WT, they are both awesome!

The Heart Of Everything is my favorite album from them. Sharon's voice is at it's best on that one. So many great tunes, The Howling, Frozen, Our Solemn Hour, the title track, Hand Of Sorrow, The Cross, The Truth Beneath The Rose.

I always thought What Have You Done was the low point of the album. When I first heard the song "what have you done?" was what I was asking myself after words. I wasn't the least bit thrilled with their attempt to try and copy the female/male vocal dynamic that Evanescence did with Bring Me To Life. I don't mind the song too much now and everyone loves it live, so the tune certainly has it's fans. But i'll take everything else on that album over it.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

The Heart Of Everything is my favorite album from them. Sharon's voice is at it's best on that one. So many great tunes, The Howling, Frozen, Our Solemn Hour, the title track, Hand Of Sorrow, The Cross, The Truth Beneath The Rose.

I always thought What Have You Done was the low point of the album. When I first heard the song "what have you done?" was what I was asking myself after words. I wasn't the least bit thrilled with their attempt to try and copy the female/male vocal dynamic that Evanescence did with Bring Me To Life. I don't mind the song too much now and everyone loves it live, so the tune certainly has it's fans. But i'll take everything else on that album over it.

It is by far their worst song, in my opinion.

But The Heart Of Everything is a real masterpiece! It is better than most give it credit for, and it is one if the maddest music experiences I have ever heard! Just full on bombast, even the quieter ballads are AMAZING!

Here is an amazing, almost country style, B-Side I love:

Here is a thought:

I prefer The Truth Beneath The Rose, one of WT's most epic tracks, to the studio version of Nightwish's Ghost Love Score. I find them somewhat similar, but TTBTR is so much more affecting! Applies to the studio versions only. The live versions with both Tarja and Floor are phenomenal, as is the orchestral version. Tarja just sounds somehow flat on the studio version to me.