Star Wars is Overrated - and here's a dachshund video

HemiBeers

always thought empire was the official "actually good movie." space opera magic. I mean, all the old ones kick ass but empire always seemed on a whole other level.

potter is earthsea for babies! I was a big fan as a little kid and I read the first few books in 3rd grade, nothing wrong with liking it but since getting into other fantasy like ursula k le guin and michael moorcock I never felt like going back

"always thought empire was the official "actually good movie." space opera magic. I mean, all the old ones kick ass but empire always seemed on a whole other level."

Completely agree. TESB really is a good movie regardless of it being Star Wars, and it is easily the "best" Star Wars movie (though the '77 is still my favorite as I prefer the tone and structure). No accident that it was directed not by George but by Irvin Kershner. Also love that it was written by (in part; kind of small part as she passed away fairly early in the process) Leigh Bracket, maybe my favorite "space opera" or "planetary romance" author -- a cross between E.R. Burroughs and U.K. LeGuinn. I just finished reading the Skaith books for the third time.

Speaking of LeGuin, I agree that reading her and Moorcock kind of spoils one in that they make most other sci-fi/fantasy seem lightweight by comparison.

I'll have to check out bracket's stuff, your description sounds great.

and yeah, I hate to sound like a snob, but you're right. other readers sometimes think I'm being an elitist for elitism's sake, but its hard for me to enjoy the sword of shanara or the wheel of time series having read the elric saga or the left hand of darkness.

Edited by bathory
  • Like 1

always thought empire was the official "actually good movie." space opera magic. I mean, all the old ones kick ass but empire always seemed on a whole other level.

potter is earthsea for babies! I was a big fan as a little kid and I read the first few books in 3rd grade, nothing wrong with liking it but since getting into other fantasy like ursula k le guin and michael moorcock I never felt like going back

Agreed that there is better fantasy out there. But the key to Potter lies in the characters, which I think elevate the books too a much higher level than the story possibly deserves. Take the fantasy away, the books would still appeal on a large scale (maybe not in quite the same way).

As for the movies, erm...no.

But definitley agree that there is always something better out there, and you picked some great examples. You are not coming off snobbish to me at all!

Yevgeny Zamyatin or George Lucas?

It is like comparing fine dining to a rock collection.

And Bathory, Wheel Of Time, Shannara and anything by Eddings is utter crud. I want to like your post a million more times.
  • Like 1

Saw the new Star Wars, just because, and I can say that I'm definitely not on the bandwagon. A lesser repeat of the old tropes, and even many of the old scenes, like it is a reboot of the original movies, with skim milk. Really cool visuals but can't think of anything else good to say.
  • Like 1

and yeah, throw in terry goodkind and you've got a batch of fantasy that even I scoff at. oh and I'm not a big dragonlance fan either, heh

Fantasy is a genre I have largely given up on. Amazing potential but too many series have I started only to think "BORING!" (Wheel Of Time) or I am just left rolling my eyes (The Belgariad).

The lure of Harry Potter was the characters and humour, something most fantasy writers seem to forget (especially with all the cookie cutter, kitchen scoundrel turned world saviour type heroes).

I dunno the dude you named before Lucas, I'll look him up

He wrote a tremendous book called We.

Saw the new Star Wars, just because, and I can say that I'm definitely not on the bandwagon. A lesser repeat of the old tropes, and even many of the old scenes, like it is a reboot of the original movies, with skim milk. Really cool visuals but can't think of anything else good to say.

still haven't seen it. and Star Wars was the first movie I ever watched

I dunno the dude you named before Lucas, I'll look him up

He wrote a tremendous book called We.

oh I've heard of that

Its great!