Star Wars is Overrated - and here's a dachshund video

HemiBeers

Star Wars sucks,

I hate it, but I can happily ignore it!

I'm gonna bite. What sucks about star wars, I mean literally sucks. Not just a dislike, or even a bandwagon riding "I've never seen it but i'm gonna hate it anyway" schtick. What in your opinion "sucks" about star wars.

I mean, I can see many reasons to dislike it. Mostly prequel stuff. That said, I don't think any star wars film sucks by any stretch of the imagination. Sure Jar Jar, and some stiff writing, but they're decent sci-fi epics.

I think the scripts in every film are a joke. I think the screenplays are dire, and I find the attempts at real depth too be absolutely laughable. I find no delight in the art design, the comic relief in the robots is embarrassing, and the acting in most cases is shockingly bad.

I love science fiction, but these films are all that is bad about the genre in one franchise.

Special effects are mostly OK, but I would rather watch Soylent Green, Blade Runner, any early Ridley Scott ornJames Cameron film and the greats of the fifties over any of George Lucas post American Graffiti films.

Star Wars is no more welcome on my TV screen as Twilight or Percy Jackson.

But hey! I do not mind anyone else enjoying them, and whatever you disagree with, it is pointless trying to argue, I have my own opinion and if I rewatch it just to appease the masses, frankly I will find it as insufferable just as I always have.

• Like 3

The Force is stupid.

Kind of. A decent idea, but carried out in a strange way. A mysterious, universal force that connects all things...and whose ability to be perceived is wholly dependent on plot advancement. :D

The worst thing Lucas did was tell the story of Darth Vader. Vader was more badass when he was mysterious. I never wanted to see what was behind the mask. And Lucas's idea of what was behind the mask was unbefuckinglievably idiotic.

And I think Yoda should have remained a mysterious wizened character on a swamp planet, who never carried a friggin' light sabre.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2

The worst thing Lucas did was tell the story of Darth Vader. Vader was more badass when he was mysterious. I never wanted to see what was behind the mask. And Lucas's idea of what was behind the mask was unbefuckinglievably idiotic.

And I think Yoda should have remained a mysterious wizened character on a swamp planet, who never carried a friggin' light sabre.

I agree. I can say the same for kid Boba Fett.

• Like 1

Potter > Star Wars > Super Heroes

Swap Star Wars for Superheroes, delete Star Wars and replace with anything else.

After you have added everything else, then you can add Star Wars.

ed39b32cd3d7cfae95c1815257021304.jpg

This is for the people who won't watch it because it's too trendy. The Empire Strikes Back is one of the best films ever made. The prequels are awful so don't watch them.

Edited by sabresman31
  • Like 1

ed39b32cd3d7cfae95c1815257021304.jpg

This is for the people who won't watch it because it's too trendy. The Empire Strikes Back is one of the best films ever made. The prequels are awful so don't watch them.

i just watched the prequels........to me the only reason to watch Revenge of the Sith is to Watch Ian McDiarmid go INSANE, lol

but yea they suck

Mick

A New Hope is a huge and blatant marketing scheme and that's the #2 reason I'm not seeing it.

(The #1 reason is I don't care)

How was it a marketing scheme when everyone involved was convinced that it would flop and be out of the theatres within a week? You are referring to the original Star Wars from 1977, correct?

• Like 1

What's wrong with being childish? It's a lot more fun than being a boring adult.

This. Better to have fun than turn into some old fogie. I'm 48, own my life and support my family well. With that I hope I never stop thinking like a kid. I'll never 'grow up'.

Live and let live.

Oh yeah - Star Wars is awesome.

Edited by grep
  • Like 3

I saw the three original Star Wars, and found all three too be inane, childish rubbish. I like elements of the story, I admired the design of some of the aliens, but I hated the lot of them.

Tried the prequels and did not get very far, but considering just how loved the films are I doubt anyone need worry about my opinion.

I saw the three original Star Wars, and found all three too be inane, childish rubbish. I like elements of the story, I admired the design of some of the aliens, but I hated the lot of them.

Tried the prequels and did not get very far, but considering just how loved the films are I doubt anyone need worry about my opinion.

Again with the word Childish. That' word gtet's me. not that you dislike the movies.

that word, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Again with the word Childish. That' word gtet's me. not that you dislike the movies.

that word, lol

Mick

Sometimes, films with a childish wonder work for me. Stuff like ET, or even Indiana Jones, have that feel of childhood wonder that appeals to that clichéd "child in all of us".

So I am here referring to "childish" in the sense that the whole franchise feels like an immature, amateur attempt at creating something worthy of the science fiction label, but compared to the works of H.G. Wells, Isaac Asimov, Frank Herbert or Philip K. Dick it comes off as the equivalent of modern day fan fiction.

As far as action adventure, it falls way behind what Steven Spielberg was doing at the time, and both Ridley Scott and James Cameron were making much better movies.

And whilst I am not a fan of Star Trek either, I would say that even in comparison to that entire franchise, Star Wars does not come close.

First time I saw Star Wars I thought I had bought a cheap knock off. When it dawned on me I had bought the right product, I was bemused and shocked by the hype.

As I have said, I love science fiction. But Star Wars just comes off as a real load of codswallop.

I also found myself hating every single George Lucas film I have ever tried to see, aside from American Graffiti. I just think he is pretty close to talentless, without the guilty pleasure appeal of the worst of Ed Wood.

The fact I hate it, and am in the minority, does not bother me. I think it fair to say that, just as with any franchise, it has a warm fan base and that is fair enough!

I refuse to post in the other Star Wars thread as I think the ecstatic fans have every right to enjoy it together, especially as the latest film appears to be pretty much everything you all wanted!

• Like 1

A New Hope is a huge and blatant marketing scheme and that's the #2 reason I'm not seeing it.

(The #1 reason is I don't care)

How was it a marketing scheme when everyone involved was convinced that it would flop and be out of the theatres within a week? You are referring to the original Star Wars from 1977, correct?

Oops, I was referring to The Force Awakens. Got the titles mixed up. :blush:

• Like 3

Potter > Star Wars > Super Heroes

:LOL:

I'd put it in the opposite direction. Besides, they're all superheroes: Thor, Luke, Harry, Cap, Yoda, Hermione, etc....hell, Sam Jackson is twice a superhero: Jedi & SHIELD agent

Where would you put the Transformers?

:laughing guy:

p.s. My daughter adores them. Recessive gene?