Star Wars is Overrated - and here's a dachshund video

HemiBeers

I can't stand Harry Fodder. Useless just like Turd Of The Rings.

Unless you have read the books, all I can say is I don't trust this opinion.

The books are about as close to the movies as St Anger is to Hemispheres.

I enjoy the movies, but nope...unless a book was attempted I brush aside the criticisms.

Love ya Earl! Where you been?

I enjoy the movies, but nope...unless a book was attempted I brush aside the criticisms.

Why? So that means one's not worthy to critique a movie if they haven't read the book? Surely you've criticized movies even though you haven't read the books that preceded them.

I'm sure I've told you this before: I thought Potter books 1-3 (the only ones I've read) are decent ["Prisoner.." being the best of those] but I thought parts 4 & 5 of the films weren't good.

• Like 1

Why? So that means one's not worthy to critique a movie if they haven't read the book? Surely you've criticized movies even though you haven't read the books that preceded them.

I'm sure I've told you this before: I thought Potter books 1-3 (the only ones I've read) are decent ["Prisoner.." being the best of those] but I thought parts 4 & 5 of the films weren't good.

I get your point.

But I see my reaction as no different to the hundreds of rants against my views on most things. Tis my turn to be a fanboy dammit! Lol

• Like 1

I get your point.

But I see my reaction as no different to the hundreds of rants against my views on most things. Tis my turn to be a fanboy dammit! Lol

:LOL:

Btw, ever seen this?

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/629978/thumbs/o-PERKS-OF-BEING-A-WALLFLOWER-POSTER-570.jpg?4

I was pleasantly surprised by this on a flight a few years ago. I think you might like it.

Not that it's the main selling point but it got 85% on RottenTomatoes.

• Like 1

I get your point.

Btw, ever seen this?

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/629978/thumbs/o-PERKS-OF-BEING-A-WALLFLOWER-POSTER-570.jpg?4

I was pleasantly surprised by this on a flight a few years ago. I think you might like it.

I love this film! Also really enjoyed Emma's performance in The Bling Ring.

She is a natural screen presence, I always feel like I am watching a person, not a character, if that makes sense. Her career is the most interesting if you ask me, of any of the Potter kids.

I get your point.

Btw, ever seen this?

She is a natural screen presence, I always feel like I am watching a person, not a character, if that makes sense. Her career is the most interesting if you ask me, of any of the Potter kids.

Yeah, I like her. Frankly though, she's the only one of the Potter kids that I think has anything special. She's set to play Belle in Beauty & The Beast (2017).

• Like 1

I get your point.

Btw, ever seen this?

Yeah, I like her. Frankly though, she's the only one of the Potter kids that I think has anything special. She's set to play Belle in Beauty & The Beast (2017).

Agreed!

Dying to see that Disney film!

I make no secret of my love of Disney animation!

Love ya Earl! Where you been?

Hahaha! Love you too dude! Been hectic around the Holidaze! I'm ok!

Just busy and getting ready for some serious sweet solitude. How is that for an alliteration?

Ok.

I agree.

If you read the books then sure I totally get it.

I tried to read the Hobbit when I was a kid. Lost all interest.

Ironically I majored in English. I had to read a lot. I hated it.

Luckily I was a natural at bullshitting. I mean writing. LOL!

• Like 1

Well Johnny Bravo, I mean Blaze I just gave in! LOL!

Human beings who read all of the books to both of these franchises should enjoy the films I guess.

Not my speed or style.

I read too much in college.

I have "Permanent Wavelength" burnout.

It's all good!

Enjoy the books and the movies.

I am tapping out.

I care more about Lemmy's death.

My eyes are hiding inside my ears.

I get your point.

Btw, ever seen this?

ICKY

^^^ English major?

Allen! You are too funny! Is there I typo? RIP LEMMY!!!!!

Lemmy. :(

No typo. :joker: I just find it funny that an English major doesn't appreciate two of the most widely-read stories in modern literature, :cheers:

• Like 1

^^^ English major?

No typo. :joker: I just find it funny that an English major doesn't appreciate two of the most widely-read stories in modern literature, :cheers:

Somewhere in here or another thread Earl said that Phantom Menace was better than Shawshank Redemption. Crazy bastard that he is. He may be a good guy but you're not sure where he stands at times...like Lando Calrissian. Earl is Lando Clarissian. Colt 45 and all.

http://bfcgroup.com/helluvatough/goddamncolt.jpg

• Like 3

^^^ English major?

I am so sorry amigo! It's not the writing that bores me it's the content.

The only thing I love about Lord Of The Rings is middle earth! I mean MARILLION! LOL! FISH STUFF OF COURSE!!!! HOWARTH IS A HOBBIT! LOL!

^^^ English major?

Somewhere in here or another thread Earl said that Phantom Menace was better than Shawshank Redemption. Crazy bastard that he is. He may be a good guy but you're not sure where he stands at times...like Lando Calrissian. Earl is Lando Clarissian. Colt 45 and all.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Exactly buddy! I refuse to be predictable and part of the sheeple clan of society! Life is too short to be the same like everyone else on the planet.

Those who are labeled crazy, different, insane or just flat out unique are SUCCESSFUL!

I may come across like a looney tune to the masses but to quote Genesis, "I KNOW WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I KNOW."

I know "Shawshank" is brilliant but it bores me on the silver screen.

"Phantom Menace" bores me in the first half but then it's brilliant.... TO ME.

It is what it is!

Time for another COLT 45!

CHEERS "BLAZE" OF GLORY!

Signed,

Jon Bon Jovi

• Like 1

^^^ English major?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Exactly buddy! I refuse to be predictable and part of the sheeple clan of society! Life is too short to be the same like everyone else on the planet.

Those who are labeled crazy, different, insane or just flat out unique are SUCCESSFUL!

I may come across like a looney tune to the masses but to quote Genesis, "I KNOW WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I KNOW."

It is what it is!

CHEERS "BLAZE" OF GLORY!

Signed,

Jon Bon Jovi

That could easily be you last July screaming, "I just got front row tickets to the R40 L.A. gig AND I just won a truckload of Colt 45 off a Star Wars scratch-off lottery ticket!!!"

• Like 1

^^^ English major?

It is what it is!

CHEERS "BLAZE" OF GLORY!

Signed,

Jon Bon Jovi

That could easily be you last July screaming, "I just got front row tickets to the R40 L.A. gig AND I just won a truckload of Colt 45 off a Star Wars scratch-off lottery ticket!!!"

HAHAHAHA!! Yep!!! As usual Johnny you nailed it! What can I say?

I am too burned out on Lemmy's death to be witty and punny!

Guess I will sign off now.

I am watching the end of the new Scorpions Doc.

Fukking killer dude.

My only goal in 2016 is to find a sex drive! I mean a LOVEDRIVE! LOL!

Time for one more 45.

Perhaps a 357 will do.

;)

• Like 1

The first ('77) Star Wars is an amazing action/adventure popcorn movie, a perfectly-executed giant comic book on a big screen that in addition to being a great two-hour story that recognized and celebrated its own low-brow Space Opera silliness. Then the success and (the franchise) took itself seriously (very seriously). All downhill from there. It's become a comically-pretentious myth in contrast to the comically-entertaining original Star Wars (admit to not having seen the new one). No problem with people enjoying it though; I can enjoy it to the extent I don't take it too seriously (despite its wish to be taken seriously, at least the awful prequels). To each one's own. Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

The first ('77) Star Wars is an amazing action/adventure popcorn movie, a perfectly-executed giant comic book on a big screen that in addition to being a great two-hour story that recognized and celebrated its own low-brow Space Opera silliness. Then the success and (the franchise) took itself seriously (very seriously). All downhill from there. It's become a comically-pretentious myth in contrast to the comically-entertaining original Star Wars (admit to not having seen the new one). No problem with people enjoying it though; I can enjoy it to the extent I don't take it too seriously (despite its wish to be taken seriously, at least the awful prequels). To each one's own.

:goodone:
  • Like 1

The first ('77) Star Wars is an amazing action/adventure popcorn movie, a perfectly-executed giant comic book on a big screen that in addition to being a great two-hour story that recognized and celebrated its own low-brow Space Opera silliness. Then the success and (the franchise) took itself seriously (very seriously). All downhill from there. It's become a comically-pretentious myth in contrast to the comically-entertaining original Star Wars (admit to not having seen the new one). No problem with people enjoying it though; I can enjoy it to the extent I don't take it too seriously (despite its wish to be taken seriously, at least the awful prequels). To each one's own.

This is exactly my feelings in a way (although I don't like Star Wars). It's a franchise that I know so many treat with the same revenance I do Tolstoy or Tolkien, which I think is odd as Star Wars is more Indiana Jones or Star Trek, which is for all intents and purposes awesome in itself (popcorn entertainment is an art form in itself. See Jaws or Back To The Future).

• Like 1

always thought empire was the official "actually good movie." space opera magic. I mean, all the old ones kick ass but empire always seemed on a whole other level.

potter is earthsea for babies! I was a big fan as a little kid and I read the first few books in 3rd grade, nothing wrong with liking it but since getting into other fantasy like ursula k le guin and michael moorcock I never felt like going back

always thought empire was the official "actually good movie." space opera magic. I mean, all the old ones kick ass but empire always seemed on a whole other level.

potter is earthsea for babies! I was a big fan as a little kid and I read the first few books in 3rd grade, nothing wrong with liking it but since getting into other fantasy like ursula k le guin and michael moorcock I never felt like going back

"always thought empire was the official "actually good movie." space opera magic. I mean, all the old ones kick ass but empire always seemed on a whole other level."

Completely agree. TESB really is a good movie regardless of it being Star Wars, and it is easily the "best" Star Wars movie (though the '77 is still my favorite as I prefer the tone and structure). No accident that it was directed not by George but by Irvin Kershner. Also love that it was written by (in part; kind of small part as she passed away fairly early in the process) Leigh Bracket, maybe my favorite "space opera" or "planetary romance" author -- a cross between E.R. Burroughs and U.K. LeGuinn. I just finished reading the Skaith books for the third time.

Speaking of LeGuin, I agree that reading her and Moorcock kind of spoils one in that they make most other sci-fi/fantasy seem lightweight by comparison.

• Like 1