The Official "THE FORCE AWAKENS" Thread: May The Force Of JJ Abrams Be With You! SPOILER ALERT!

RUSHHEAD666

Your ratings of the originals and Force Awakens are pretty close to mine. Your prequel ratings are all one notch higher than mine.

Very few films have gotten an "F" from me. David Lynch's Dune, Bridget Jones' Diary, Independence Day, and Kingsmen come to mind ....... :facepalm: :facepalm:

As a kid, I fell asleep watching Dune. I've never seen BJ's Diary or Kingsmen. Independence Day really is similar to Phantom Menace to me in that there are pretty colors and explosions that try in vain to mask 2+ hours of annoying characters and stupidity.

Go watch Johnny Depp in "Cry Baby" to increase your number of F movies by one.

I saw him in The Lone Ranger. That "F" film was so forgettable that I forgot all about it...... :laughing guy:

Another thing I didn't like that I forgot about: Kylo Ren is set up as a dangerous dark side user that can stop blaster shots in mid air. He has a difficult time defeating 2 people who have no light saber experience in hand to hand combat.

Yes, this is one grievance I have.

We can spin it this way:

Finn is a Stormtrooper, and was trained since childhood to fight. As an "orphan" on Jaaku, Rey learned to defend herself quite well. She had to fight off rival scavangers and other nasty beings. She whipped those two goons from the junk dealer with ease. The two of them are no strangers to fighting.

Also, Kylo Ren may have mastered some elements of the Force, but he still has much to learn. He's not nearly as powerful or as sure of himself as Darth Vader was when he was at his peak. Vader would have killed Finn and Rey rather quickly.

You're right: Rey "whipped two GOONS". GOONS. She IS strong with the force but has never been trained.

- Finn refused to gun down civilians in his first battle. Prior to that he was a janitor. Besides, since when has a Stormtrooper been worth a shit (until now)?! They might be able to hit the side of the Millennium Falcon but I wouldn't trust any of them to take on someone trained in the force for anything longer than a split second.

- Kylo Ren is strong with the force, has received some training without a doubt, can stop blasters in mid motion for several minutes then have them resume speed, AND took out ALL of Luke's apprentice Jedis BEFORE these events. Yet he had trouble (and was defeated) by Finn & Rey?...yeah, that's at least a little hard to swallow.

- Really though, I can't find any other things to nitpick (unless you count Adam Driver reminding me of David Schwimmer who I dislike...but Driver isn't bad) so this one gets at least a "B+" from me, likely an "A-".

Maybe I'm missing something, but Ren beat up on Finn pretty quickly and easily. So what we're left with is an incompletely trained Ren, who admits being incredibly conflicted about his actions and who is obviously an emotional wreck on a good day, just killed his father, got shot by one of the strongest blasters in the galaxy, and is admittedly not trying to kill the girl (he needs the map and he wants to train her). Rey is obviously an unnaturally powerful force-user and she was obviously well trained in the use of her Bo. This is a complete non-issue. Especially in a galaxy where a whiny farm-boy battles the strongest Jedi/Sith ever to a near draw on the strength of 15 minutes of lightsaber training and a weekend force-training trip with Yoda.

If we want to criticize this movie, stick with rehash of plot, the simplicity of executing the climax action (and the ease of coming up with the plan), Finn's consistent over-acting, or that people who know each for about 8 minutes become besties.

Some fair points there especially the bit about Ren NOT wanting to kill Rey. We can say the same about Vader not wanting/trying to kill Luke.

What 8 minute besties are you talking about?

Another thing I didn't like that I forgot about: Kylo Ren is set up as a dangerous dark side user that can stop blaster shots in mid air. He has a difficult time defeating 2 people who have no light saber experience in hand to hand combat.

We can spin it this way:

Finn is a Stormtrooper, and was trained since childhood to fight. As an "orphan" on Jaaku, Rey learned to defend herself quite well. She had to fight off rival scavangers and other nasty beings. She whipped those two goons from the junk dealer with ease. The two of them are no strangers to fighting.

Also, Kylo Ren may have mastered some elements of the Force, but he still has much to learn. He's not nearly as powerful or as sure of himself as Darth Vader was when he was at his peak. Vader would have killed Finn and Rey rather quickly.

You're right: Rey "whipped two GOONS". GOONS. She IS strong with the force but has never been trained.

- Finn refused to gun down civilians in his first battle. Prior to that he was a janitor. Besides, since when has a Stormtrooper been worth a shit (until now)?! They might be able to hit the side of the Millennium Falcon but I wouldn't trust any of them to take on someone trained in the force for anything longer than a split second.

- Kylo Ren is strong with the force, has received some training without a doubt, can stop blasters in mid motion for several minutes then have them resume speed, AND took out ALL of Luke's apprentice Jedis BEFORE these events. Yet he had trouble (and was defeated) by Finn & Rey?...yeah, that's at least a little hard to swallow.

- Really though, I can't find any other things to nitpick (unless you count Adam Driver reminding me of David Schwimmer who I dislike...but Driver isn't bad) so this one gets at least a "B+" from me, likely an "A-".

Maybe I'm missing something, but Ren beat up on Finn pretty quickly and easily. So what we're left with is an incompletely trained Ren, who admits being incredibly conflicted about his actions and who is obviously an emotional wreck on a good day, just killed his father, got shot by one of the strongest blasters in the galaxy, and is admittedly not trying to kill the girl (he needs the map and he wants to train her). Rey is obviously an unnaturally powerful force-user and she was obviously well trained in the use of her Bo. This is a complete non-issue. Especially in a galaxy where a whiny farm-boy battles the strongest Jedi/Sith ever to a near draw on the strength of 15 minutes of lightsaber training and a weekend force-training trip with Yoda.

If we want to criticize this movie, stick with rehash of plot, the simplicity of executing the climax action (and the ease of coming up with the plan), Finn's consistent over-acting, or that people who know each for about 8 minutes become besties.

Some fair points there especially the bit about Ren NOT wanting to kill Rey. We can say the same about Vader not wanting/trying to kill Luke.

Fin and Poe are the worst, but Finn and Rey are pretty bad, too.

To be clear, I loved the movie. I just think they are far worse issues than this fight. Like R2-D2 having the info and magically coming back online right when the plot needed him to.

Finn-Rey, Poe-Finn, and Leia-Rey, I think. In times of great danger and emergency life-death situations, people buddy up pretty damned fast!!

We can spin it this way:

To be clear, I loved the movie. I just think they are far worse issues than this fight. Like R2-D2 having the info and magically coming back online right when the plot needed him to.

R2-D2 woke up when Luke called him, IMO. The film is called The Force AWAKENS for a reason. The Jedi are BACK.

• Like 1

Kylo is one dangerous mofo. Angry, misguided, and undisciplined - with superpowers. Watch out. This guys is going to embrace the dark side in a whole new way, I think and one day he's going to throw a tantrum.... I don't even want to think about it.

I like your two post grep!!! I totally agree!! Please post your review of the movie! I want to read your take!

Thank you. You flatter me, man.

I just got home from dinner after seeing it. My head is still spinning and I need to organize my thoughts.

A couple of initial impressions - Han and Leia never stopped loving each other. I was getting all misty eyed when they first saw each other.

Han and Leia know exactly who Rey is. That's the familiarity, and why they seem to just take her in, and work with her. She's Luke's kid. (This isn't said, but she's got that Natalie Portman look to her..sort of. She's Luke's)

Why is Rey a mechanical genius? Why is she able to fly the Falcon? Why does she do X, Y, and Z? Because she trained as a Jedi. With Dad. She has an ability, and then, IMHO, Kylo unlocked it when he read her mind. She's gonna' be a badass. It will be interesing to see who her Mom is.

Han knew exactly what he was doing. He knew what he was walking into, what was going to happen. He sacrificed himself so that Kylo would be even more conflicted - with the short term benefit of pleasing Snoke. Han was hoping that if he makes the kid a little more unsure of himself, Luke will finish the job, either bringing Kylo to the light - or putting him out of his misery.

The final scene. Wait for it. Wow. Nothing needed to be said.

That's it for now. Great movie, best Star Wars film since 1983.

• Like 3

Kylo is one dangerous mofo. Angry, misguided, and undisciplined - with superpowers. Watch out. This guys is going to embrace the dark side in a whole new way, I think and one day he's going to throw a tantrum.... I don't even want to think about it.

I like your two post grep!!! I totally agree!! Please post your review of the movie! I want to read your take!

Thank you. You flatter me, man.

I just got home from dinner after seeing it. My head is still spinning and I need to organize my thoughts.

A couple of initial impressions - Han and Leia never stopped loving each other. I was getting all misty eyed when they first saw each other.

Han and Leia know exactly who Rey is. That's the familiarity, and why they seem to just take her in, and work with her. She's Luke's kid. (This isn't said, but she's got that Natalie Portman look to her..sort of. She's Luke's)

Why is Rey a mechanical genius? Why is she able to fly the Falcon? Why does she do X, Y, and Z? Because she trained as a Jedi. With Dad. She has an ability, and then, IMHO, Kylo unlocked it when he read her mind. She's gonna' be a badass. It will be interesing to see who her Mom is.

Han knew exactly what he was doing. He knew what he was walking into, what was going to happen. He sacrificed himself so that Kylo would be even more conflicted - with the short term benefit of pleasing Snoke. Han was hoping that if he makes the kid a little more unsure of himself, Luke will finish the job, either bringing Kylo to the light - or putting him out of his misery.

The final scene. Wait for it. Wow. Nothing needed to be said.

That's it for now. Great movie, best Star Wars film since 1983.

Rey was abandoned on Jaaku when she was very young. She was barely out of diapers. Her parents' departure is a mystery. She may be the daughter of Luke....or even of Leia and Han. She may be Kylo Ren's sister (Ren and Rey). They may have been intentionally separated at birth, just like Luke & Leia were. We will find out, I'm sure.

As an orphan on the nasty junker planet of Jaaku, she survived because she is highly intelligent, resourceful and the Force is with her. She, like her family, is adept at flying spacecraft and fixing things.

Han knew the risk when he confronted Ren. He had to try once more to save him, even if it meant sacrificing himself. I don't think he had any other intentions other than that. He truly wanted to save him and bring him home.

• Like 2

Just saw it with my ten year old with whom I watched the original trilogy a month ago. It was a blast to see his excitement, and to listen to his questions. He was piecing together the elements from the previous films, so it was cool to watch his wheels turn. Of course, when I got home it was a great experience to reflect on my experience from 1977, and remember my brother and I having faux light saber battles with the posters we got from the theater.

I can't remember a film that I attended where the audience applauded after it was all said and done. Well there's a first time for everything. That happened here...and my kid and I joined in. Francis Ford Coppola once remarked to Lucas that he could start a religion based off of his seminal film after the wave of rabid enthusiasm was witnessed world wide. Lucas started a religion for sure (Influenced by Joseph Campbell).

The film was such an improvement over the previous three installments. Abrams certainly nailed the vibe that fans have been dying to feel. Several things seem to hit me negatively, but overall, I can't complain much because I was so thoroughly entertained.

Perhaps the most disappointing element of the film for me was Finn. His dialogue was just out of wack for the vibe of a Star Wars film, though I loved the line when Chewie choked him. Who knew that former stormtroopers were so articulate, and actually cursed? That said, he was a good character overall and I think he was a sound decision to insert into the story.

Too bad Han is gone. This film was really about him and Leia. Every moment on the screen was fantastic, though Leia carried a really weird vibe...perhaps all the plastic surgery had something to do with it. Anybody else think of that? That's all I could think about when I saw her face.

The interaction between Ren and Solo was such welcome comic relief. The moments in the MF, and her basically thinking a step ahead of Han was an interesting twist. Boy, talk about a quick study.

BB-8 is also a significant entry into the canon of these films. A perfect fit. This droid was easy to love from the very beginning.

Overall, you gotta thank your lucky stars that Lucas took his dickbeaters off this franchise, and gave it to someone who knew what they were doing.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 7

We can spin it this way:

That's it! I knew I was forgetting the other issue I had: R2's revival.

Don't see the Finn & Poe problem seeing that Finn saved him from further torture. Then they helped each other escape. The Finn & Rey issue I get but it didn't bother me.

Oh, back to that fight for a sec, Finn did get whipped but he did hold his own long enough for Rey to recover. I'm saying he should've been wiped out in less than a second regardless of the other traumatic things you mentioned Ren going through.

And yeah, I liked this movie quite a bit too. I complain about Jedi too but I liked that a lot so I wouldn't worry too much about any slight negativity I state regarding Force Awakens.

Just saw it with my ten year old with whom I watched the original trilogy a month ago. It was a blast to see his excitement, and to listen to his questions. He was piecing together the elements from the previous films, so it was cool to watch his wheels turn. Of course, when I got home it was a great experience to reflect on my experience from 1977, and remember my brother and I having faux light saber battles with the posters we got from the theater.

I can't remember a film that I attended where the audience applauded after it was all said and done. Well there's a first time for everything. That happened here...and my kid and I joined in. Francis Ford Coppola once remarked to Lucas that he could start a religion based off of his seminal film after the wave of rabid enthusiasm was witnessed world wide. Lucas started a religion for sure (Influenced by Joseph Campbell).

The film was such an improvement over the previous three installments. Abrams certainly nailed the vibe that fans have been dying to feel. Several things seem to hit me negatively, but overall, I can't complain much because I was so thoroughly entertained.

Perhaps the most disappointing element of the film for me was Finn. His dialogue was just out of wack for the vibe of a Star Wars film, though I loved the line when Chewie choked him. Who knew that former stormtroopers were so articulate, and actually cursed? That said, he was a good character overall and I think he was a sound decision to insert into the story.

Too bad Han is gone. This film was really about him and Leia. Every moment on the screen was fantastic, though Leia carried a really weird vibe...perhaps all the plastic surgery had something to do with it. Anybody else think of that? That's all I could think about when I saw her face.

The interaction between Ren and Solo was such welcome comic relief. The moments in the MF, and her basically thinking a step ahead of Han was an interesting twist. Boy, talk about a quick study.

BB-8 is also a significant entry into the canon of these films. A perfect fit. This droid was easy to love from the very beginning.

Overall, you gotta thank your lucky stars that Lucas took his dickbeaters off this franchise, and gave it to someone who knew what they were doing.

The Mythology/Philosophy - I could talk about this all night long. It is not to be underestimated. The Light and Dark Sides of the Force is a huge metaphor for almost every major religion. The timeless story of the self-sacrificing Hero, fighting his/her way through personal tragedy and hardships to save others (or himself), never gets old.

Finn - This is the first time we've gotten to know a Stormtrooper. All we've ever known is a few lines from obedient soldiers. The first generation was all clones, but as time passed, the Empire/First Order drafted boys to be trained. As we now know, their "training" was not always successful. Some Stormtroopers did in fact resist.

Leia - She was underused. Just a few scenes with her standing passively and giving hugs. Hopefully, she's in the next films and doing more.

BB-8: I thought it was very good. My fears of it being a annoying prop were premature. It was an excellent addition.....kind of like R2-D2's little brother.

Lucas: I think we can say BUH-BYE to the master of disaster. His input is no longer needed.

• Like 5

We can spin it this way:

Don't see the Finn & Poe problem seeing that Finn saved him from further torture. Then they helped each other escape. The Finn & Rey issue I get but it didn't bother me.

Oh, back to that fight for a sec, Finn did get whipped but he did hold his own long enough for Rey to recover. I'm saying he should've been wiped out in less than a second regardless of the other traumatic things you mentioned Ren going through.

And yeah, I liked this movie quite a bit too. I complain about Jedi too but I liked that a lot so I wouldn't worry too much about any slight negativity I state regarding Force Awakens.

Let's face it, the plot called for a light saber fight, and neither Finn nor Rey could hold their own long enough for the danger Ren posed. Perhaps Ren hasn't faced a situation which required him to duel in a few years, and due to his emotional state and physical injuries, it took the saber injury to snap him out of his funk and pour it on. Ren hasn't achieved mastery of the force, and he's obviously not mastered his emotions.

My biggest problem with this fight is how often people get hit with so little consequence. But it's a minor quibble.

• Like 1

We can spin it this way:

Let's face it, the plot called for a light saber fight, and neither Finn nor Rey could hold their own long enough for the danger Ren posed. Perhaps Ren hasn't faced a situation which required him to duel in a few years, and due to his emotional state and physical injuries, it took the saber injury to snap him out of his funk and pour it on. Ren hasn't achieved mastery of the force, and he's obviously not mastered his emotions.

My biggest problem with this fight is how often people get hit with so little consequence. But it's a minor quibble.

Yes minor quibble but that should stop us because let's face it JJ fracked up a bit. If Finn and Rey just had a bit of a harder time against Ren his character is more imposing, interesting to us. Also the force wouldn't appear "easy" to master. It could have been done.

Still a great film perhaps better than Return of the Jedi...maybe.

The Mythology/Philosophy - I could talk about this all night long. It is not to be underestimated. The Light and Dark Sides of the Force is a huge metaphor for almost every major religion. The timeless story of the self-sacrificing Hero, fighting his/her way through personal tragedy and hardships to save others (or himself), never gets old.

Finn - This is the first time we've gotten to know a Stormtrooper. All we've ever known is a few lines from obedient soldiers. The first generation was all clones, but as time passed, the Empire/First Order drafted boys to be trained. As we now know, their "training" was not always successful. Some Stormtroopers did in fact resist.

Leia - She was underused. Just a few scenes with her standing passively and giving hugs. Hopefully, she's in the next films and doing more.

BB-8: I thought it was very good. My fears of it being a annoying prop were premature. It was an excellent addition.....kind of like R2-D2's little brother.

Lucas: I think we can say BUH-BYE to the master of disaster. His input is no longer needed.

Don't forget the First Order also stole little girls as well. Plasma is a woman.

Also a Stormtrooper in the film is a woman!!!

I love the way things have gone in a span of geological time when it applies to the Star Wars Canon.

Episodes IV through VII are simply brilliant.

I'm just not an Ewok fan.

I know Lucas couldn't afford to construct a Wookie planet back in 1983

So he had to budget and create the Ewok.

Meh

Otherwise I love it ALL

Well I'm not really a SNOOK fan.

How did this CGI mega Villian sneak into one of the greatest films ever made?

Yep, despite Villian Cheese this movie is still a 10!!

The Force Awakens is a 10!!!!

Get it Rush Star Wars nerds?

Love,

FORCE TEN

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

I love the way things have gone in a span of geological time when it applies to the Star Wars Canon.

Meh

Otherwise I love it ALL

Love,

FORCE TEN

Hey Earl, how about this?----> Rey isn't Luke's daughter. Seems too easy. Doesn't nearly everyone think she is? I can't imagine so many people guessing right. For this reason, I'd guess she's not. Nobody guessed Vader was Luke's daddy before Empire.

Don't know what would work as a big shocker for Rey but I imagine every dickhead nerd whispering (not so quietly) to his bored girlfriend in the cinema "I TOLD you Rey was Luke's kid! I called it back in December 2015!" IF such a thing were revealed in episode 8. For THIS reason I hope she's NOT Luke's kid.

Signed,

The Foreskin Awakens

• Like 1

Great review.

I have heard people applaud at the end of movies before. I saw all the prequel movies on opening day and people did applaud after Clones and Sith ended. I don't remember it with Phantom Menace though. It was more of a "we waited this many years for that? Uh, ok at least it's over and we can get out of here" vibe when it was done.

Another benefit of seeing this on opening night was that it was made up of die hard fans who love Star Wars. When Han, Chewie, Leia and Luke were first shown, everyone cheered. Even 3PO and R2 got OK reactions from the crowd as well. Everyone went dead silent when Han got killed though. I think a lot of us saw it coming when Han confronted Kylo but we didn't want it to happen. I know a movie theater is usually quiet anyways but when Han got sliced with the saber and thrown off that bridge it was like every just stopped breathing for a minute and were frozen in place. That's how quiet it got. Real bold move to kill him off.

Everyone applauded and cheered at the end. Han may be gone but Luke is back and will set things right again.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

Don't forget the First Order also stole little girls as well. Plasma is a woman.

Also a Stormtrooper in the film is a woman!!!

And here she is about to overpower Jamie Lannister...

cult-game-of-thrones-brienne.jpg

• Like 1

Meh

Otherwise I love it ALL

Love,

FORCE TEN

Hey Earl, how about this?----> Rey isn't Luke's daughter. Seems too easy. Doesn't nearly everyone think she is? I can't imagine so many people guessing right. For this reason, I'd guess she's not. Nobody guessed Vader was Luke's daddy before Empire.

Don't know what would work as a big shocker for Rey but I imagine every dickhead nerd whispering (not so quietly) to his bored girlfriend in the cinema "I TOLD you Rey was Luke's kid! I called it back in December 2015!" IF such a thing were revealed in episode 8. For THIS reason I hope she's NOT Luke's kid.

I hope she isn't because really with the track record they have Jedi are lousy deadbeat parents.

• Like 3

She's adorable!

My God the acting in this film is top notch!

I love that British accent in Star Wars films!

The prequels suck but I still like them.

Darth Maul was the best thing from those CGI disasters.

Episode VII is A New Hope on steroids.

Blaze!

You were right again!

All of my bulkshit talk was a waste of time.

I think Ren is weak and a waste of time and I can't wait for Luke's daughter to fuckking slaughter Leia's son.

Hell I already thought she was going to destroy that wimp Ren Solo.

I also must say that I am not impressed with that lame ass evil CGI troll Harry Potter Stool Sample.

So 9/10

I was "Flying High Again" last night after I saw it

I'm too tired to read all of your comments but I caught yours Presto.

Amazing post.

Epic.

Just like Episode VII

Watching Empire tonight.

Yet another masterpiece.

I love Return also minus the Ewoks.

Oh well.

Budgets.

"I've got a bad feeling about this" is in IV and V too!

Star Wars and Rush forever!!

I am a nerd!

Who gives s fukk!

Who gives a f**k? You do Earl ! I do! Everyone reading this! That's why we're here! We give a f**k! Well, at least a little.

Onwards...

That's the refreshing part about Kylo Ren. He's not some broad shouldered, dark lord with an intimidating James Earl Jones voice OR some acrobatic, horned warrior with a double ended light saber. Much of the time Ren doesn't get what he wants, throws a tantrum then destroys the room like some aggressive teen with some power but little discipline. That's great! He was way more interesting than the hop skip and jumping red-faced toad Ray Parks. None of the original films needed athletes to create dramatic light saber duels. Phantom Menace got their athlete but it didn't matter. The movie was a sweaty, swampy, sack of balls. Just thinking about it makes mine a little swampy and itchy! I can forget that Adam Driver reminds me of the crappy David Schwimmer because the character Ren is interesting AND Driver does a decent job.

"I've got a bad feeling about this"...quite the opposite. I've got a good feeling about this. A really good feeling. :blaze:

Ok Blaze! You got me man!

We all do give a fukk!

I'm a junkie.

Your take on Ren makes great sense.

I totally get it.

I loved Maul but his character development was zero.

Hardly any dialog.

I loved the character for his evil looks.

Ren's character will be fully developed by the end of VIII

The script has been written.

The storyboards are being designed.

Ren vs Rey!

Should be fun!

May The Force Be With You Blaze!

I can see through your mask of forum lunacy.

You are smart and very witty!

Now get down on your Jedi knees and suck my left titty!!!

"Knees"?! "Left"?! I'm standing! And I'm going for BOTH titties!

• Like 1

Meh

Otherwise I love it ALL

Love,

FORCE TEN

I hope she isn't because really with the track record they have Jedi are lousy deadbeat parents.

Totally. I bet Yoda neglected a few little bastard greenies somewhere in the galaxy. I bet they're cursing his name now.

• Like 2

Meh

Otherwise I love it ALL

Love,

FORCE TEN

Totally. I bet Yoda neglected a few little bastard greenies somewhere in the galaxy. I bet they're cursing his name now.

When 900 years old you reach, hate your father as much, you will not.

• Like 3

Meh

Otherwise I love it ALL

Love,

FORCE TEN

It all started with Shmi. She should have grabbed little Ani by the ear and said, "Don't you even THINK about running off on some damned fool Jedi crusade! Get back in the house and clean your room!"

• Like 2

Meh

Otherwise I love it ALL

Love,

FORCE TEN

Signed,

The Foreskin Awakens

Jesus! I was going to go to bed but I read your post and had to fukking sign in!

Damn! I THINK YOU ARE RIGHT!

I think Rey is Luke's kid but it's too damn predictable!!!

For a second I thought that Rey and Ren were twins by Leia and Han separated at birth. One evil one good. I read that years ago.

Perhaps that's true.

All I know is that Ren and Stimpy I mean Snooke will PERISH

f**k my spelling tonight.

I'm "WASTED!"

Signed,

DEF LEPPARD

• Like 1