Neils best drum solo ever

YYZumbi

This is probably Neils best drum solo ever, there is no weird jazz sound samples and shit. It starts at 1:51:00. Just Neil showing what he can do.

But how does he do that laser-sounding sound in the middle of the drum solo? I don´t understand it..

Edited by YYZumbi

This is probably Neils best drum solo ever, there is no weird jazz sound samples and shit. It starts at 1:51:00. Just Neil showing what he can do.

But how does he do that laser-sounding sound in the middle of the drum solo? I don´t understand it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ebWw18HF7A

Are you talking at around 1:54:00? That effect is called phasing, it's a common effect used for guitars too. Like a jet engine warping the sound. I don't know what kind of tech they had in '79, but I think the sound guy would be controlling that kind of thing for the drums.

• Like 1

That weird sound you hear on the drums is probably by way of a phase shifter or flanger... in those days, those types of sounds would have been controlled by the front house live mixer dude. (Audio tech, or sound man.) And, yes, this is a great DRUM solo!! Those Slingerland drums are still the best sounding drums he's ever played.

I read a book written by the original road crew of KISS, and they talked about the '74-75 era in which both Neil and Peter were using the phaser on the drums ... Not sure who did it first, or what other drummers were doing it at the time, but it sounds great to my ears ..

Neil is incredible during that era - a lot of fire and a more reckless style, which I love

Peter is no Neil, but in this vid you can hear the phaser pretty much throughout the solo, esp in the middle

I've always thought the one on Exit...Stage Left, in the middle of YYZ, was at least one of the pinnacles of his soloing. I've always just loved the way he did the one fill that crashes back into the trio, resuming the song where it left off at the start of the solo. Absolutely seamless!
  • Like 2